• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As of today , has the Override vote occured on the Long gun Transfer Bill ?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It is scheduled to come to the floor for a veto override vote on February 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks !

At the MSI booth today. I wanted the latest status to share with the public

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Telling you guys you really worry a lot less when you realize that you don't plan to comply anyways

I'm all for WWNC, but if you don't think MSP will be doing stings to catch folks unaware of this, I fear you are mistaken. I foresee several gun show busts in the coming year... someone walking around with a Mossberg for sale... next thing you know, you have earned a new set of bracelets and are forever prohibited.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm all for WWNC, but if you don't think MSP will be doing stings to catch folks unaware of this, I fear you are mistaken. I foresee several gun show busts in the coming year... someone walking around with a Mossberg for sale... next thing you know, you have earned a new set of bracelets and are forever prohibited.

Absolutely! Whenever possible buy and sell with people you know and trust

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I wrote to my legislators just to keep their minions busy deleting things. I was not in cut and paste mode, but stuck with the Criminals Will Ignore This and You’re Just Punishing The Good People themes. Got this back:

Hello Mr. XYZ:
    Thank you for reaching out to Senator Lee’s office. She appreciates hearing from her constituents and that weights greatly when she votes.
    Thank you again,
    Stacey Volodin, JD
    Legislative Director for Senator Susan Lee

So other than them verbing the noun “weight,” there you have it. Pointless, of course.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    True. Till I can get out of this hole. Take my retirement income, estate they would tax, current income as I'll still be working remotely then and go. They can "backfill" me with a 1000 illegals then.

Who work under the table and don't pay taxes and send most of their earnings out of the country.:sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Would this nonsense apply to C&Rs even if you have a C&R FFL?

I'd have to double check the language of the bill, but if my memory is correct long gun transfers between C&R holders are exempt.

I don't believe it says that the firearm must be C&R, just that if you both hold a C&R, you are exempt. Which isn't what the FFL-03 is supposed to do at a federal level, but this is intrastate. So I guess the state can say if you both hold a C&R you can still legally transfer long guns between you.

I've got some BGOS though, so I don't know that I'd try that with a modern gun even if they other guy had a C&R. Unless someone gets an opinion from the AG saying "yup, that is what the bill really means".

But like I said, I'd want to double check the language of the bill.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd have to double check the language of the bill, but if my memory is correct long gun transfers between C&R holders are exempt.

I don't believe it says that the firearm must be C&R, just that if you both hold a C&R, you are exempt. Which isn't what the FFL-03 is supposed to do at a federal level, but this is intrastate. So I guess the state can say if you both hold a C&R you can still legally transfer long guns between you.

I've got some BGOS though, so I don't know that I'd try that with a modern gun even if they other guy had a C&R. Unless someone gets an opinion from the AG saying "yup, that is what the bill really means".

But like I said, I'd want to double check the language of the bill.

Exemption IV on Page 3 of SB 208 says the C&R specific exemption is only for C&R firearms when both parties have the license.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Some of the relevant language

(B) “DEALER’S LICENSE” MEANS A FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE.

(D) “LICENSEE” MEANS A PERSON WHO HOLDS A DEALER’S LICENSE.

THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO

(I) INVOLVING A LICENSEE OR A FEDERALLY LICENSED GUN
    19 MANUFACTURER, DEALER, OR IMPORTER;

(IV) OF A CURIO OR RELIC FIREARM BETWEEN COLLECTORS
    27 WHO EACH HAVE IN THEIR POSSESSION A VALID COLLECTOR OF CURIOS AND RELICS
    28 LICENSE, AS THE TERMS ARE DEFINED IN FEDERAL LAW OR DETERMINATIONS
    29 PUBLISHED BY THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES;

I am pretty sure the very original language just simply exempted C&R holders, not specific to C&R firearms between them (this only applies to non-regulated firearms though, as it doesn't override existing law making regulated C&Rs have to go through a 77r and barracks/dealer).

Still confused on the relevant sections above. (B) A dealers license is anyone who holds an FFL. (D) licensee is anyone who holds a dealers licenses (which is any FFL per B). Exempt per (I) is transaction involving a licensee or a dealer, manufacturer or importer.

Seems like they goofed and FFL-03 would be blanket exempt. It sure doesn't look like that was the intent, but my non-lawyerly reading is they accidently made FFL-03 totally exempt per (B), (D) and (I). Seems like whomever wrote it didn't realize a collector of curio and relics license IS a Federal Firearms License.

Full language https://legiscan.com/MD/text/HB4/2020

PS I shall not be testing that FFL-03 blanket exemption unless or until there is an AG opinion (or at least MDSP) saying "yeah, you are right. FFL-03 are totally exempt from the law"

CroftonBilly

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Posted from another current veto override thread (thanks!): https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=6221314&postcount=53

Quoted text from Constitution of Maryland, Article II:
    https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/02art2.html

Section 17
    (d) Any Bill vetoed by the Governor shall be returned to the House in which it originated immediately after the House has organized at the next regular or special session of the General Assembly. The Bill may then be reconsidered according to the procedure specified in this section. Any Bill enacted over the veto of the Governor, or any Bill which shall become law as the result of the failure of the Governor to act within the time specified, shall take effect 30 days after the Governor's veto is over-ridden, or on the date specified in the Bill, whichever is later. If the Bill is an emergency measure, it shall take effect when enacted. No such vetoed Bill shall be returned to the Legislature when a new General Assembly of Maryland has been elected and sworn since the passage of the vetoed Bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom