• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    With the current state of ammo availability do you feel comfortable with what you have or are you still hunting down more and at what point do you say "Im not paying that much "
    I've always kept a good amount on hand but since the last ammo shortage I've deepened my stock a good bit , But how much is enough

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    There is no real answer to that question IMHO .

Everyone has a different need , but if you ask me a minimum i would say 1K rounds

Or 500 rounds each caliber Edit . **

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Relative.
    I probably have enough, but won't shoot much at all.
    I wish I'd bought another 1,000 rounds of 4 or 5 common calibers/gauges when reasonable and plentiful.
    I'll learn. If or when the supplies open up, I'll stock pile again.

So maybe there's no such thing as enough.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    not shooting right now to conserve , bought some black powder stuff to fill the void . i am not paying what people are asking right now .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My recipe for how much is enough is: "Wildly more than I can imagine I'd need, ever." Because we are unlikely to ever see any movement backwards, only forwards, towards the left's unrelenting desire to make it impossible for you to purchase ammo, period. So even if I won't use it all personally, it's going to continue to become a valuable commodity, even if we have a few moments soon of prices back to tolerable and availability resembling a sane market. We're watching our county/state legislators, right here, sniffing around bills that would prevent the purchase of bulk ammo via shipment, and require special background checks. Those urges will NEVER go away, they will only get worse and some of them (always sooner than later) will become law.

So, "how much" is simple: you literally can't - at normal income levels and such - buy too much of it. Of every kind, maybe even for guns you don't own. I was buying 10mm before I had anything that could SHOOT 10mm. Just cuz. It won't go bad in my lifetime, but it might be very, very valuable in my lifetime. It sure isn't going to go down in value, regardless.

Yes, I see offerings that are simply too high to bother with. I'm not paying a buck a round for 9mm range ammo! But diligence and patience will reward you with tolerable prices (just scout the Sig web site, for example, after you set your alarm for 4:15AM!). I'm picking away at ever more, to add to the substantial pile.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My problem is my dumbass has stocked up and range/plinking ammo and neglected my hunting stash.

I’m good for a while but I’d like 200-300 rounds of my hunting stuff so i don’t have to worry for a while

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    other than tying up money and space, no real downside to lotsa ammo as it pretty much lasts forever. that said, it's not real portable either. if folks are buying 1000s of rounds for shtf, that's prob too much because if you need that much chances are many are coming after you and your odds against a team or crown aren't great. but again, other than money and space, why not. then on top of some shtf ammo, i'd say enough to cover whatever you might shoot in 1-2 years (practice, competition, etc).

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I agree with Occam. Never enough ammo. Am I there yet? No! Probably not going to get to that point before moving out of DPRM. I’m once moved (and I’m assuming reasonable pricing again then) I plan to have a pallet of my common calibers and 10k or more of the others.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    other than tying up money and space, no real downside to lotsa ammo as it pretty much lasts forever. that said, it's not real portable either. if folks are buying 1000s of rounds for shtf, that's prob too much because if you need that much chances are many are coming after you and your odds against a team or crown aren't great. but again, other than money and space, why not. then on top of some shtf ammo, i'd say enough to cover whatever you might shoot in 1-2 years (practice, competition, etc).

I think of it as well as an investment , i can start selling when i reach an age where i won't even worrying about lots of ammo .

I will sit in a lawn chair with a box of 50 and call it a day .

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    When I get enough I will measure the size of the pile and let you know but as of now I don’t have enough even though it’s stacked around here like the year or so I food I have stacked up around here

You can never be to prepared

Although I do have a nagging feeling about what would happen if my house were to catch fire. Between the ammo and hundred or do gallons of shtf liquor in here I could have a problem lol

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    What they are charging for ammo should be criminal, kind of like jacking up the price of a generator after hurricane.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Remember, as you buy ammo get it when it's cheap, that way when you buy expensive ammo it averages out so the expensive shit ain't so expensive.

What they are charging for ammo should be criminal, kind of like jacking up the price of a generator after hurricane.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again...
    At Masada, we are selling 9mm target loads for $40/box of 50 and can't keep it on the shelf. We now have to limit sales to 2 boxes per customer. Yes, people want to buy thousands of rounds @ $800/1000. I had a customer drive from PG County to Pikesville to buy two boxes of .40 for $45 each.
    The sheer volume of first time gun buyers is mind numbing.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I personally would never go below 1K of 5.56 or 9mm that I might need to use for whatever emergency/shtf scenario. So the relevant questions are how long is the shortage going to last and how much do you shoot during that time? The rest is math.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I was going to say that there is no such thing as enough. Occam nailed it. I have not been shooting much so I have a good stash. I wish I would have bought more 6.5 Creed moor prior to hunting season. 6.5 is one round that was somewhat readily available on shelves. Since this mess started, I began saving my brass. I am clearly not going to be reloading anytime soon but you have to start somewhere.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Depends on the caliber and how much you plan to shoot it. I have some calibers that a couple of boxes will gather dust and maybe never get used, and some that call for a couple thousand on hand to keep shooting as I feel like it.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    With the current state of ammo availability do you feel comfortable with what you have or are you still hunting down more and at what point do you say "Im not paying that much "
    I've always kept a good amount on hand but since the last ammo shortage I've deepened my stock a good bit , But how much is enough

You can lighten the load by selling some to me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom