• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    A target of 1.000 rounds per caliber is a reasonable starting point however there are some variables to take into consideration. I think the .22 rim fire will be an important post SHTF caliber because it will be the primary game getter because most widely available game is small to medium size, in addition it makes less noise so attracts less attention, it is what you will be using to train new and occasional shooter the marksmanship skills they will need, and being the most widely owned firearm means it will be in demand and will serve as "currency" for trading goods and services. Therefore I think at least 5,000 rounds or one case makes more sense and would recommend buying two cases and when the first case runs out buy your next case so you always have between 5 and 10 thousand rounds on hand.

Another area you may want to increase stock is for whatever you will be using as a battle rifle and like wise anything you have multiple guns with the same chambers because you will likely be using these to arm family, friends and neighbors so your usage will likely be higher.

On the other hand your Big Bore gun for hunting Moose or Grizzley Bear you can probably stock less than a thousand because you will have fewer opportunities to use it because you don't want to shoot a Rabbit with a .416 Rigby, also you won't find a lot of people standing in line wanting to trade for it either.

Exactly this. I vave guns in over 60 calibers and I do not treat them the same... there are guns that I occasionally shoot because I like to ... but my plans don't hang on how much 9mm largo or .222 Remington I have. There are the important calibers and everything else. I make sure that I have enough of the important stuff and probably have 10x more 22lr than anything else. My list of important ones include. 22lr, 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, .45, and 12ga. I probably don't have a big game caliber at over 1000 rounds, but the combination of various calibers that will do the job is above that. Now shooting for pleasure after the tap is turned off... I don't think I'm quite at my comfort level for that yet.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Just snagged 120 rounds of 350 legend. Probably won’t have to buy it ever again as long as a sight in goes well. Now i just need an upper.

My ass still hurts from that price though.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Just snagged 120 rounds of 350 legend. Probably won’t have to buy it ever again as long as a sight in goes well. Now i just need an upper.

My ass still hurts from that price though.

Let me know if you find a good upper. I did the same thing. Bought 8 boxes from Medusa. That'll last at least 5 years.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    When you guys talk about numbers per caliber, what is your percentage breakdown between range and defensive ammo within those amounts?

I hate to say this in today's market: Federal 124gr 9mm HST JHP ammo was so cheap a few years ago, it was all I ever bought and practiced with for that caliber.

If I ever make it back to the range, I'll plinking away the Federal 115gr FMJ I've had for years.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    If SHTF truly did happen, and we were hunting small/medium game for food,, that would last 1-2 weeks. There is just WAY to many people per square mile in this country to ever "Live off the land"

Many of them will die off or move away once the food runs out. That'll reduce population density.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    How much do you shoot?

I figure I shoot maybe 200 rounds a month on average, 9mm and .22. Some months nothing. Others I go to the range once or twice a week.

I figure that two years worth would be a minimum. That will get between election cycles. Although, you never know when the rules are going to so drastically change that resupply is impractical for a much longer time, or forever. But, I figure, go with two years.

So...for practice...200 x 24 = 4800. Let's round it up to 5000 rounds. That is quite a lot of 9mm (although I'm sure many here would scoff at such a piddly stash), and more than I have; but if I add in bulk .22 I think I'm in the neighborhood.

For defense handgun ammo, I'm thinking a box of fifty high quality per handgun (and PCC) would be comfortable for me. I sincerely hope my life doesn't take such a turn were I'd actually need more than that. That would suck. And not be conducive to a long, healthy life. I think 50 would fill the mags and allow shooting a mag of the good stuff once a year or so.

I don't hunt; but if I did I think I'd be looking at enough to double what I'd expect to shoot in a two year time.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    How much do you shoot?
    I figure I shoot maybe 200 rounds a month on average...

Too much ammo is like too much money. No such thing.

I use to budget about $50/mo for ammo. In the winter I'd pick up a bunch when it was cheap. Then shoot it mostly during spring and fall. I might need to buy more in a year or two regardless of prices though.

if the slab hasn't cracked yet its not enough.

I had to read that twice. Too funny. :D

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    My boy just came by to see how much of his half of 5000 rounds we bought together when it was cheap.

I asked if he remembered having a shoot with the guys from his work and a bunch of them blasted off 2500 rounds one afternoon.

He did

I asked what was half of 5000? He acted like a little bitch so I gave him 500 rounds that I expect to get paid back when things loosen up just so he had a couple rounds at the house

That’s not the first nor last time he’s been mad at me

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    My boy just came by to see how much of his half of 5000 rounds we bought together when it was cheap.

I asked if he remembered having a shoot with the guys from his work and a bunch of them blasted off 2500 rounds one afternoon.

He did

I asked what was half of 5000? He acted like a little bitch so I gave him 500 rounds that I expect to get paid back when things loosen up just so he had a couple rounds at the house

That’s not the first nor last time he’s been mad at me
    Sheeeeit, I’ll bet you’ve got 4000-5000 loose rounds in the back floor of that truck of yours...

Ed Anger

Jan 16, 2021
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I intend to flee to the family farm when SHTF. Therefore, I'm stocking as much as I can fit into my car along with other necessities. Most of it for hunting, some of it for bad folks.

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Just a question and not a thread distraction.

What about a cross bow for inter city residents who cant get out or want to be seen and heard with a firearm? Besides there are a lot of food in the city. Squires, rabbits, rats...........

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I intend to flee to the family farm when SHTF. Therefore, I'm stocking as much as I can fit into my car along with other necessities. Most of it for hunting, some of it for bad folks.

Howdy neighbor- for a second I was trying to figure out if I wrote this when I was drinking, I have the exact same bugout plan.

I don’t have nearly as much ammo as I would like. Not if I want to keep hitting the range occasionally or doing steel matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom