• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Just how nasty is the kick on those things? Call me a wimp but I think 30-06 and .270 kick too hard. And, is there a 45-90 on the market?

it's not all that bad to be honest, and I was even surprised how manageable it was. Feel it for sure, but in a good way. Still, I went 30-30 just because it's cheaper to feed

hoppes-no9

Nov 17, 2014
    Normal factory loads, loaded to trapdoor-level pressures — 405 gr at ~1250 FPS — are really pleasant to shoot in my Marlin 1895. Reloads at 1000 fps feel like a 22 rimfire.

On the other hand, my elk load is a 405 grain bullet at 1850 fps, nearly 3100 fpe. For comparison, a typical 30-30 load is 1800 fpe.

Trust me, that gets your attention in a 7 pound rifle.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Just how nasty is the kick on those things? Call me a wimp but I think 30-06 and .270 kick too hard. And, is there a 45-90 on the market?

I am 5'8" at 160 lbs., I also shoot a .500 S&W Magnum revolver, 45/70 to me does not kick as hard as a 30/06. At the range I can put 50 plus rounds down range with the 45/70 and my .500 S&W in the same day. Recoil pad helps too.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I am 5'8" at 160 lbs., I also shoot a .500 S&W Magnum revolver, 45/70 to me does not kick as hard as a 30/06. At the range I can put 50 plus rounds down range with the 45/70 and my .500 S&W in the same day. Recoil pad helps too.

This has been my experience as well. I shoot .45-70 out of a lever gun and it is easier on my shoulder than an M1 in .30-06. Particularly when using lighter loads (e.g. 300 gr). Now go for 500 gr and more powerful loads then yeah, it can be 'daunting'. At the lower loads the recoil, I think, isn't as much a 'punch' as it is a 'push'. Seems to be slower onset and may last longer but if you aren't shooting prone or bench rest and you are able to recoil with the rifle not unpleasant to shoot.
    I have a revolver in .45-70 and find it is easier to shoot than a .44 magnum. The impulse just seems slower in the hand. IF I could afford it, I could probably shoot a whole box or two of cartridges in one range visit, in .44 I'd stop after one or two cylinders of full power loads max.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Normal factory loads, loaded to trapdoor-level pressures — 405 gr at ~1250 FPS — are really pleasant to shoot in my Marlin 1895. Reloads at 1000 fps feel like a 22 rimfire.

On the other hand, my elk load is a 405 grain bullet at 1850 fps, nearly 3100 fpe. For comparison, a typical 30-30 load is 1800 fpe.

Trust me, that gets your attention in a 7 pound rifle.

I can shoot the factory Rem 405gn rounds all day out of my 1895 ported guide gun. I would say the full power loads are about the same as a 3in 12 gauge slug. A slip-on limbsaver pad helps a lot in that case.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    I had determined to get a 45-110 ever since i saw Quigley the first time, which remarkably was only last year, but I have settled down a little bit and realize that I'm probably better off starting with a 45-70. I'm sure it will be more than enough cartridge. Hopefully one day sooner or later. . . . .

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    My older son keeps asking me to get a 45-70. I told him to go buy the ammo cause I am not stocking up on another caliber.

I had determined to get a 45-110 ever since i saw Quigley the first time, which remarkably was only last year, but I have settled down a little bit and realize that I'm probably better off starting with a 45-70. I'm sure it will be more than enough cartridge. Hopefully one day sooner or later. . . . .

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I can shoot the factory Rem 405gn rounds all day out of my 1895 ported guide gun. I would say the full power loads are about the same as a 3in 12 gauge slug. A slip-on limbsaver pad helps a lot in that case.

^^^^ This is a pretty accurate description.

I would change the full power description to say, full(er) power loads (around 1900 fps) feel like a 3" or even 3-1/2" slug fired in an aluminum Mossberg 500.
    (After FIVE rounds of that stuff, this old man has had 'enough'!)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Damn. Out of stock already!! How did I not see this post earlier. I’ve been on the hunt for a modern 45-70 lever to pair with my 1873 trapdoor that was gifted to me for months.... Ugh.

Trapdoors are great- I have a ‘73 also. I’m sure you are already aware to be careful what ammo to shoot in it- they aren’t built for modern smokeless loads. I bought a couple of boxes of BP Trapdoor loads, think I only fired about 5 rounds ever just to test it out years ago. Worked like a charm and accurate too. I saw Henry .45-70’s this week but it was in Harrisonburg, VA.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Trapdoors are great- I have a ‘73 also. I’m sure you are already aware to be careful what ammo to shoot in it- they aren’t built for modern smokeless loads. I bought a couple of boxes of BP Trapdoor loads, think I only fired about 5 rounds ever just to test it out years ago. Worked like a charm and accurate too. I saw Henry .45-70’s this week but it was in Harrisonburg, VA.

Yeah, I stocked up on some BP loads from Buffalo Arms when it was given to me, but like you, only have set the thing off a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom