• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    My brother in law just picked up a NIB 10/22 and wants to remove the flash suppressor. He said he saw how to do it on YouTube. I suggested he wait and I'll ask here. I searched a bit here and read that maybe heat or a soaking in water to loosen things up.

Anyway, what say ye? Is this a DIY (I'm rather handy) or best left to a proper smith?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Mine just unscrewed off a TD barrel. It took a little grunt or two, but came off without severe difficulty.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    The flash hider has two flat spots. Just use an appropriately sized open end wrench on them? Oh and thanks for your responses.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I seriously doubt Ruger is using Rocksett on them although soaking it first won’t hurt it. Mine unscrewed quite easily with a wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A_C

Jan 12, 2017
    I had one stuck on a new 10/22TD that was crazy tight! I tried everything to get it off - heat/cold, penetrating lubricant, and even a wrench. It felt like the flash hider was going to break in half before it ever came loose. I contacted Ruger and they asked me to send the barrel back to them - they dealt with it under warranty.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I seriously doubt Ruger is using Rocksett on them although soaking it first won’t hurt it. Mine unscrewed quite easily with a wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe this is a pre owned gun and possibly the previous owner could have used Rocksett. Never hurts to be sure.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Mine just unscrewed off a TD barrel. It took a little grunt or two, but came off without severe difficulty.

My experience as well. I was sweating it while I waited for my suppressor, so I looked all over youtube for ideas. Researched on Ruger site and various forums. Finally, I got the green light to pickup the can.

I get home to jump on a conference call. My son pops in the home office, goes to the safe with wrench in hand, pops it off in no time and we were in business. Sometimes, you just have to wing it. :)

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I believe this is a pre owned gun and possibly the previous owner could have used Rocksett. Never hurts to be sure.

Nah it's a brand new one with the nice red sticker on it. I'll go mild to less than wild and if that fails my brother in law can reach out to Ruger.

Thanks to y'all. Be safe.

duvito

Dec 19, 2020
    Thanks MPollan for starting the post.

Everyone else thanks for your suggestions. Soaking did the trick!

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Good here too, well my brother in law is. I pointed him to this thread and he applied a bit more pressure and off she spun. Now off/on topic question. What's the point of a flash suppressor on a 10/22?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Good here too, well my brother in law is. I pointed him to this thread and he applied a bit more pressure and off she spun. Now off/on topic question. What's the point of a flash suppressor on a 10/22?

Makes them fun quiet.

Just have to grin and giggle when shooting them.

And I can shoot off my deck without bothering the neighbors

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Makes them fun quiet.

Just have to grin and giggle when shooting them.

And I can shoot off my deck without bothering the neighbors

I think he meant bird cage, not can. But agreed. Shooting a 22 with a can is a blast. Using the right combination, I hear a click then a thud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom