• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I’ve used the searched feature and was unable to obtain the info I was asking. I’m seeking a spotting scope that I can see .22LR holes at 200 yrds. My budget would preferably be under $500 for starters, if possible.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yes. A couple of times. It seemed that the $1600 Razor HD was the consistent answer. At this point I’m trying to determine if other options have surfaced for less money.

The Pentax I mentioned can be had for around $1,000 and would work very well. I think you may be hard pressed to get by with something for $500.
    I’m a member at AGC, I’d be happy to meet you there one day and let you try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Go to some MARS competitions and win a 50% off certificate and have some fun with it :) that would decrease the cost of the Razor spotting scope and youll have fun doing it!

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I bought the Nightforce TS-82 20-72X Angled spotting scope a couple of years ago. Yes, it was a lot of money. And that is an understatement. If I were to do it again, I wouldn’t hesitate a bit to buy it again. I can honestly say that it is worth every penny I paid for it. Being able to see bullet strikes at 1000 yards comes in handy. Now is that scope for everyone, no. However, if one plans on shooting longer ranges or hunting at long range, it is hard to beat. The old saying about buy once cry once certainly applies.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have a redfield rampage that think paid about $250 for and have been pleasantly surprised given low price point

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    The Pentax I mentioned can be had for around $1,000 and would work very well. I think you may be hard pressed to get by with something for $500.
    I’m a member at AGC, I’d be happy to meet you there one day and let you try it out.
    In my research, there’s very little info on what you can expect to see at the targets. I do understand that a shooter’s vision varies. You can see 22LR at 200yds?

I’ve heard Kowa mentioned before.

I bought the Nightforce TS-82 20-72X Angled spotting scope a couple of years ago. Yes, it was a lot of money. And that is an understatement. If I were to do it again, I wouldn’t hesitate a bit to buy it again. I can honestly say that it is worth every penny I paid for it. Being able to see bullet strikes at 1000 yards comes in handy. Now is that scope for everyone, no. However, if one plans on shooting longer ranges or hunting at long range, it is hard to beat. The old saying about buy once cry once certainly applies.
    I plan to buy once so I want to make sure I get something that I can clearly see out to 200yds but the potential to see out further.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    .22lr holes at 200 yards and $500 ain't going to happen.

Thank you! That’s what I understand. Now.
    I’m trying to see how much more I need to spend to see 22LR at 200 yards and further. I don’t see myself traveling too far to visit ranges beyond 600 yards or so.

That’s why I started this thread cause the other threads don’t vividly explain what you can see at various distances.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I do understand that a shooter’s vision varies.

As you have mention, shooter’s vision varies.

At 100yds I can see the color of the eyes of flies on the targets next to the bullet holes. I haven’t had a chance to see if I can see 22LR holes at 200yrs. The range that I usually shoot at has steel targets at 200 and 300yrds. At 300yrds the bullet strikes are clearly visible, as is the different coats of paint on the targets.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County

I appreciate the offer. Thank you!

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020957146

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019639430

I’m understanding that the larger the objective lens allows more light in for dusk/dawn situations.
    It appears that I’m nearly at the $1000 level.
    Thoughts on the above two scopes? Will they reach out to 1,000 yards and see rifle hits?
    I’m by far from rich but I’m trying to spend what money I do have wisely.
    I appreciate the info provided in this thread! It’s been extremely helpful. I hope it can help others.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Razor HD Gen 1 spotting scopes are a good bit less than the Gen 2 ones.

I have not had a chance to compare a Gen 1 to Gen 2 side by side.

But I do like my Gen 1

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Razor HD Gen 1 spotting scopes are a good bit less than the Gen 2 ones.

I have not had a chance to compare a Gen 1 to Gen 2 side by side.

But I do like my Gen 1

At what distance are you using your scope and can you view 223/556 out to at least 200 yards or more?
    The other threads dont adequately address that question for a spotting scope newbie such as myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom