• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I watched some videos. For the price, it looks pretty good. I don't know if they have a video of it but I would like to see a splash/frag test done with 5.56. The only splash test I saw was of them using 7.62x39 (Golden Tiger) which doesn't fragment all that much due to being bi-metal. I almost feel as if AR500 knew this which is why they used it.

Either way, it looks like a good value. I'll do a little more research.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    So figured I'd provide an update. My AR500 order arrived and I'm more than happy with it. The carrier is well built, and I ordered the curved plates and 6x8 side plates. Was able to adjust everything and add the accessories (magazine pouch for AR and Pistol). It is HEAVY, but surprisingly pretty easy to move in once you strap it on.

LOL. No shit.... Been there done that... 25 yrs ago that's all there was that was worth a dam. .. Now go for a jog in it this august and see if it still works for you.

How does the spalding work when you are shot at a 20 to a 80 degree angle ?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I watched some videos. For the price, it looks pretty good. I don't know if they have a video of it but I would like to see a splash/frag test done with 5.56. The only splash test I saw was of them using 7.62x39 (Golden Tiger) which doesn't fragment all that much due to being bi-metal. I almost feel as if AR500 knew this which is why they used it.

Either way, it looks like a good value. I'll do a little more research.

Don't under estimate AR500 steel, This is what all the Humvee's were up armored with.
    I use 1/2" AR400 in my shop everyday building some tools I make and its tough stuff to work with.
    I believe you would be better off to see a test using SS109 5.56 ammo and M80 7.62 ball and look at the results.. Then go and compare it to ceramic plates.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Don't under estimate AR500 steel, This is what all the Humvee's were up armored with.
    I use 1/2" AR400 in my shop everyday building some tools I make and its tough stuff to work with.
    I believe you would be better off to see a test using SS109 5.56 ammo and M80 7.62 ball and look at the results.. Then go and compare it to ceramic plates.

Oh, I have no doubt it will stop most rifle rounds. I was just referring to the bullet splash after it stops it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The Humvee's were up armored with rolled homogeneous armor (MIL-DTL-12560). AR500 is not armor, it is abrasion resistant steel.

Not always my friend, As a man who owns a company that uses AR plate on a daily basis, When you go back to around 2003 & 2004 AR plate was difficult if not impossible for anyone but Military contractors to get because of cutting of all the AR 500 plates here in the USA and shipping the Humvee armor kits to Iraq and afganistan.

Oh and thanks for the lesson in steel, It was not nessessery but i thank you for it.
    Also AR 500 is what all quailty steel targets are made from. Because it works.

Not always my friend, As a man who owns a company that uses AR plate on a daily basis, . . .
    If they were indeed using AR plate instead of RHA, I'm stunned. Could be that all the rolled plate manufacturing was putting out RHA, so no AR was being made.

I have AR500 targets. I also have some RHA. There's no comparison between the two.

At one time, FMC, Inc was using most of the of aluminum in the US. They were at peak Bradley Fighting Vehicle production, and still making M113 APCs.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    There is a coating they put on the steel now.

I know..... This is what I originally said. Let me know if you need me to elaborate further.

( I watched some videos. For the price, it looks pretty good. I don't know if they have a video of it but I would like to see a splash/frag test done with 5.56. The only splash test I saw was of them using 7.62x39 (Golden Tiger) which doesn't fragment all that much due to being bi-metal. I almost feel as if AR500 knew this which is why they used it.)

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I know..... This is what I originally said. Let me know if you need me to elaborate further.

( I watched some videos. For the price, it looks pretty good. I don't know if they have a video of it but I would like to see a splash/frag test done with 5.56. The only splash test I saw was of them using 7.62x39 (Golden Tiger) which doesn't fragment all that much due to being bi-metal. I almost feel as if AR500 knew this which is why they used it.)

Poking around I saw that Box of Truth (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot57.htm) ran a test on AR500 armor that had that anti-splash covering. Different rounds including 5.56 and .308 were used.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    So figured I'd provide an update. My AR500 order arrived and I'm more than happy with it. The carrier is well built, and I ordered the curved plates and 6x8 side plates. Was able to adjust everything and add the accessories (magazine pouch for AR and Pistol). It is HEAVY, but surprisingly pretty easy to move in once you strap it on.

How long did it take them to ship it from the time you ordered?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    At least you didn't say 2 weeks... :lol2:

total-recall-two-weeks.jpg

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I have read great reviews about AR500 brand and the Targetman brand plates. I just ordered a set of 11x14 plates from the targetman along with a tactical tailor modular plate carrier. Lead time for the plates said 2 weeks or less. I'll post some pictures as soon as they come in.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    The other thread has all the info you need. For maybe 100 more dollars than steel, you can have much better protection with ceramic.

Also, Ive yet to see a steel plate that will stop m193 from a full length barrel (20"), at close distances(under 25yds). The velocity is too much for them.

Like a hot knife through butter....Both 20" and 16". People advocating steel armor should probably check this out, m193 is one of the most common rounds and your ar500 plates will not stop it from close range(i.e. inside your house.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom