• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I'm having no luck with my google fu on this topic and would like to hear from you guys about knives you know of. I am looking for a large spring assisted tanto folding knife that is larger than the typical blades offered. I had a Gerber FAST06 with a 3.something inch blade, it broke and then I bought a Gerber FAST XL which has a 4" blade! It's the biggest one I've found and I like it so far, it's just not big enough. I've got other large tanto folders that I'm actually faster at opening than most spring assists but nothing beats that click sound of an auto/assisted knife snapping open. Thanks

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    It's 575 but if you put it in your cart it drops to 450. It's steep but I will eventually realize that all of the 75 dollar knives I've bought and they loosen up or are just not substantial enough for my taste will equal a high dollar knife like this. At 300 or under I'd have jumped at that knife, I've bookmarked it, it's a beast! Thanks Hatter

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I will post pictures of the Cold Steel when it arrives. Couldn't pass up that deal for a knife of that size. Most of my EDC knives have been 4" blades or larger and have made a bunch of people jump back when I "whip it out"! Thanks for the heads up on that one guys!

D3V1L

Dec 26, 2012
    Elkridge
    The Xl voyager tantos flick out easily due to the weight of the blades. I have 2 that I EDC and they deploy faster than most of my spring knives and I never need to touch the thumb stud.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Zero tolerance 0400 or 400 st (serrated). No safety, Kershaws speed safe, textured grip

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I searched and first found the Cold Steel Voyager Tanto xl on sale for $39.97 and then I stumbled onto the Father's Day/Birthday gift that I wish I would have found earlier. I picked up a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto xl, 5 1/2 inch blade length and longer than a Kabar USMC fighting knife when opened, and I only paid $84 shipped for the Recon 1!

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I have an like my Raj2.. The catch, catches on the pocket for easy opening as it exits the pocket. http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...ajah-ii-folding-knife-6-blade-grivory-handles

Knifecenter.com is in college park by the way. They do not have a showroom, but if you know exactly what you want they do not mind going to the back get the knives and let you see and touch before you buy.

EDIT: They were in College Park. Went down there for lunch, no longer there. Looks like they moved to VA.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have an like my Raj2.. The catch, catches on the pocket for easy opening as it exits the pocket. http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...ajah-ii-folding-knife-6-blade-grivory-handles

Knifecenter.com is in college park by the way. They do not have a showroom, but if you know exactly what you want they do not mind going to the back get the knives and let you see and touch before you buy.

EDIT: They were in College Park. Went down there for lunch, no longer there. Looks like they moved to VA.

Knifecenter is a really great company. I just called them because I noticed they are shipping my knife to my PO Box; they related that they shipped it by ground, so it would be waiting for me (likely tomorrow) in my PO Box. I asked about them moving, and she acknowledged that they made the move to Fredricksberg, VA in Jan this year (2014). I asked if it was because of MD taxes, and she said she didn't know, but the new location is much larger/nicer than where they were in College Park.

Last edited:

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Yes sir! Mackall v State says any knife that folds (and isn't a true switchblade), no matter how large is a penknife.

Thanks. Now if a cop asks if I have any weapons on me (like during a traffic stop), I should never declare it as a weapon right?

Like should I say, "I don't have any weapons but I do have utility knives". Like I also have one of the Russian Spetznaz (or whatever) combat shovel that has sharp edges meant for slashing and balanced to throw like a throwing knife....but it's main function is still a shovel and I'm only calling it a shovel.

And should never say that it's carried for self defense/protection but for utility/tool purposes? Even if it's not necessary in MD, I'd rather train myself to speak this lingo in case I'm in some other state that don't like penknife designations.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks. Now if a cop asks if I have any weapons on me (like during a traffic stop), I should never declare it as a weapon right?

Like should I say, "I don't have any weapons but I do have utility knives". Like I also have one of the Russian Spetznaz (or whatever) combat shovel that has sharp edges meant for slashing and balanced to throw like a throwing knife....but it's main function is still a shovel and I'm only calling it a shovel.

And should never say that it's carried for self defense/protection but for utility/tool purposes? Even if it's not necessary in MD, I'd rather train myself to speak this lingo in case I'm in some other state that don't like penknife designations.

I would agree with this strategy and heard it echoed by many others. Dealing with all-to-human police officers is not just about the law and the case law, but being polite and choosing the right words.

I personally disagree that a cop should even ask a routine traffic stop if he has any weapons, both for principle of the thing (citizen privacy and right to defend themselves) and that it's actually tactically unnecessary based on all the duty-related officer injuries and deaths I've read through. Any claim that they ask for officer safety is a bogus. It's just a way to trick thick-headed crooks into giving them probable case for a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom