• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I know anything in md is hard to do but please bear with me a minute.

I think if we put some effort behind it we could over turn this part of the older law in md so that C&R pistols could be bought in state with a C&R. I know it won't impact a lot of people but it would be a small victory showing more of their flawed logic and could help a little to keep the FFL's in the state going. There have been several times when I would have bought a nice old pistol while on a road trip in the state but couldn't make the trip back to get it again in 2 weeks so the shop lost a sale for now.

Many things are hard to explain to the "soccer moms" for them to support. However, arguing that a person with a federal license should be able to buy a WWII relic in the state may pass the common sense test with most people.

Just at thought at how to chip away at the stupidity here.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In many people's minds, a slug from a WWII era 1911 will kill you just as dead as a slug from a Kimber.

While I agree with you, we have bigger fish to fry and Leftist legislators to fillet.

Metaphorically speaking of course.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I know anything in md is hard to do but please bear with me a minute.

I think if we put some effort behind it we could over turn this part of the older law in md so that C&R pistols could be bought in state with a C&R. I know it won't impact a lot of people but it would be a small victory showing more of their flawed logic and could help a little to keep the FFL's in the state going. There have been several times when I would have bought a nice old pistol while on a road trip in the state but couldn't make the trip back to get it again in 2 weeks so the shop lost a sale for now.

Many things are hard to explain to the "soccer moms" for them to support. However, arguing that a person with a federal license should be able to buy a WWII relic in the state may pass the common sense test with most people.

Just at thought at how to chip away at the stupidity here.

Pretty certain C&R was address in 281. Pretty certain you can buy a handgun that is more then 99 years old newer then that requires an HQL. So you might not require to go though an FFL to buy an WWII relic you would need an HQL unless it was at least 99 years old.

Thanks
    Robert

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I agree it would be a good place to start. There is risk in anything. If you talk to anti's they frequently cite not being against "guns" but "assault weapons." Even anti's are not so against collectors after historic firearms.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Pretty certain C&R was address in 281. Pretty certain you can buy a handgun that is more then 99 years old newer then that requires an HQL. So you might not require to go though an FFL to buy an WWII relic you would need an HQL unless it was at least 99 years old.

Thanks
    Robert

Nope
    ALL handguns need to go through FFL or MSP, 7 Day wait and all. The only thing that buying a C&R eligible handgun does is exempts you from needing an HQL
    If you want to buy a C&R handgun, using the Fed license, you need to buy out of state.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I agree it would be a good place to start. There is risk in anything. If you talk to anti's they frequently cite not being against "guns" but "assault weapons." Even anti's are not so against collectors after historic firearms.

Don't you believe it.
    The "C&R loophole" will be the next big battle cry if we push this. Their ignorance is the only real weapon we have, sometimes/

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    "Assault Weapons" are only a step towards a much bigger goal: banning ALL handguns.

They've been trying to ban handguns for over 100 years.

The Brady Nuts, and other Anti groups used to mainly focus on handguns. It was easy to get hunters to agree that handguns had no legitimate sporting purpose.

Only in the late 1980s did their focus begin to shift to "assault weapons".

They will not see old Tokarevs and P38s as being somehow "warm and cuddly". They will see worn out old weapons of war, with no target sights, whose only possible use is to hold up 7-11s.

Also they think gun collectors are dangerous, creepy nut jobs. They honestly have more sympathy for sex offenders than they do for gun collectors, at least they fear them less, and understand them better.

Go back and re-read this one more time.

In Their Own Words; A Blueprint to Ban Handguns by Joe Curran

They don't really care about "assault rifles", at least the smart ones don't. They just think "Assault Rifles" are low-hanging fruit (and I think they're baffled that they can't ban those ). Banning handguns is a much, much bigger goal for them.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    No

Thanks Robert

Both parts of that are wrong.

There is no "99 years old" rule. A firearm manufactured before 1899 is an "antique" under both federal and state law and is not regulated for transfer purposes. The pertinent date is the date that the frame/receiver was manufactured. There are also some other categories of "antique" not pertinent to the current discussion.

Transfer across state lines of a firearm manufactured in 1899 or later must be done in conformance with both federal law (which differs for handguns and long guns), and state requirements (which differ from state to state).

Purchase by a Maryland resident of a "World War II" handgun from a Maryland dealer is subject to all of the requirements that govern transfer of any other post-1898 handgun (waiting period, etc.), EXCEPT that the HQL is NOT required, because handguns that qualify for C&R status under federal law were explicitly exempted in the text of the 2013 Maryland law. This statement is true whether or not the buyer holds a C&R. The exemption applies to the class of C&R-eligible firearms, not to the class of buyers.

Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Don't you believe it.
    The "C&R loophole" will be the next big battle cry if we push this. Their ignorance is the only real weapon we have, sometimes/
    ^^^^^^^
    This

Leave it alone. Its just not that hard to go to VA or PA or the internet.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Thanks
    Robert

He ^^^ musta' been watching an episode of "Get Smart" last night and has a thing for Agent 99 or just heard 99 nerf balloons.

Both parts of that are wrong.

There is no "99 years old" rule. A firearm manufactured before 1899 is an "antique" under both federal and state law and is not regulated for transfer purposes. The pertinent date is the date that the frame/receiver was manufactured. There are also some other categories of "antique" not pertinent to the current discussion.

Transfer across state lines of a firearm manufactured in 1899 or later must be done in conformance with both federal law (which differs for handguns and long guns), and state requirements (which differ from state to state).

Purchase by a Maryland resident of a "World War II" handgun from a Maryland dealer is subject to all of the requirements that govern transfer of any other post-1898 handgun (waiting period, etc.), EXCEPT that the HQL is NOT required, because handguns that qualify for C&R status under federal law were explicitly exempted in the text of the 2013 Maryland law. This statement is true whether or not the buyer holds a C&R. The exemption applies to the class of C&R-eligible firearms, not to the class of buyers.

THIS ^^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom