• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Same shed with more and betterlocks and cables for now but extra security is in the works.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Good news! The bike was found this morning @ 1:30am on the side of the road in Germantown when a police officer heard it and followed the noise. Didn't catch any suspects and because of the weather no prints on the bike. Just a little beat up and abused but still runs and will be fixed back up. My brother is elated that he got it back as he didn't think he would ever see it again.

Glad to hear that, years ago my girlfriend's nephew had his dirt bike stolen. About a week later, on the way home from work on I70, I saw some dirt bikes being ridden behind the old truck stop hotel in Frederick. I went back there to check them out and saw that one was his bike. I called the police and grabbed it when the guy riding it stopped. took the police 45 minutes to show up, but they let me take the bike when my girlfriend showed up with the title. turned out that 4 or 5 of the dirt bikes there were stolen and the police arrested 4 or 5 of the people with them, but they all got off with a slap on the wrist and restitution.

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Anyone ever given any thought to how these thieves home in on ORV owners/storage locations? Is it a kid in school saying too much about what he or his Dad own? Maybe the parts guy at the bike shop that won't sell you a part until you give him your address? There is certainly the obvious sound/sight of one being ridden near a home, but if you normally trailer it elsewhere, how did they know it was there?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Anyone ever given any thought to how these thieves home in on ORV owners/storage locations? Is it a kid in school saying too much about what he or his Dad own? Maybe the parts guy at the bike shop that won't sell you a part until you give him your address? There is certainly the obvious sound/sight of one being ridden near a home, but if you normally trailer it elsewhere, how did they know it was there?

yeah maybe followed home from riding (similar to leaving a shooting range); washing it in the driveway in view of a main road; maybe it was just dumb luck from breaking into a shed.

the problem is (once the lock/chain/cable is defeated) they're too easy to just roll away vs trying to carry a pressure washer, generator, etc.

maybe just store with a wheel or both wheels removed, of course a big hassle for you to have to remove and reinstall wheels before and after each ride.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Cliff, I have had a dirtbike stolen some 37 years ago when I was 15. Had buddies who had whole trucks and trailers full of dirtbikes or harleys stolen right out in front of motel rooms,
    had friends who had locked garages,sheds and outbuildings broken into and gotten their bikes taken despite the dogs inside house making a ruckus. On the latter, my buddy had 2 dirtbikes and 2 4 wheelers stolen in the middle of the night. The crooks unscrewed his flood light bulbs, forced open his man door on garage to get the big garage door open and out went 2 four wheelers and possibly 1 dirtbike. In addition, 2 sheds forced open and either 1 or 2 dirtbikes removed from them.

Crazy part is, there were another 6+ Streetbikes and other expensive things inside. I think 1 or 2 four wheelers might have been recovered, but no thieves were apprehended.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    On the latter, my buddy had 2 dirtbikes and 2 4 wheelers stolen in the middle of the night. The crooks unscrewed his flood light bulbs, forced open his man door on garage to get the big garage door open and out went 2 four wheelers and possibly 1 dirtbike.

I have alarm contacts on the garage door and the windows and man-door into the garage. Typical garage doors can be defeated with a clotheshanger.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Well my brother is very happy about getting his bike back and has already started ordering parts to get it back to the condition it was before all of this. He was told by the bike shop that at the dirt bike tracks and riding areas the potential thevies note the tags and vehicles there and follow them home then come back to take what they want. Even with all the security and unless someone is home and awakened it will be hard to stop the thefts. My worries are what comes next? They got his bike the first time and didn't get caught so that could make them bold and try again and maybe worse with home invasion with or without someone home.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Glad he got it back. I wasn't so lucky, and my buddy was only 1/2 lucky.
    I still can't imagine being my one friend who was on a trip to and from Missouri and upon waking from a night's rest to
    find out your truck, friend's trailer, and 4-5 dirtbike/ atv's are all gone.

I can still remember when we took a trip to a Budd's Creek MX race, we brought our bikes into the room to avoid any jerks from getting ideas.
    Also Cliff, I understand your comment about " what might come next?"
    I have that same feeling every time I am home after having it burglarized to steal saleable items like tools, guns, electronics, prescriptions, musical instruments and other valuables I had there.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Shed was locked and was forced open. The lock is nowhere to be found, maybe they took it with them? Everything else in the shed is still there, gas power washer, rotor tiller and all his power & hand tools. We found tracks leading away from the shed & house but disappeared by the road.
    ]

I have a thought, anyone else pick up on it ?

Everything else in the shed is still there, gas power washer, rotor tiller and all his power & hand tools.

All these things require WORK to use them.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    ]

I have a thought, anyone else pick up on it ?

Everything else in the shed is still there, gas power washer, rotor tiller and all his power & hand tools.

All these things require WORK to use them.

We think that is why my brother got it back. It seems the bike was taken for a joy ride and not for parts. Well when my brother got it back the battery was dead and while it started on the second kick, we assume the thief or thevies didn't know how to start it with the choke being out of sight and drained the battery. This is a 525cc 4 stroke engine that isn't the easiest engine to kick start and keep running without the choke.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Those other things you mention involve WORK like you said.

I would think that they are harder to fence. A dirtbike is a quick sale for cash in PG or Baltimore. Not that many people looking to buy a roto-tiller. The thieves that work in that area know that if they caught, there are no real consequences. The money most be good enough to make it worthwhile.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Tonight I heard and saw one of the weirdest things ever in relation to the stolen 4 wheelers and dirt bikes story I posted regarding my friend losing some from his garage and sheds.
    He told me that recently a 4 wheeler was left on their driveway or yard with a note on it saying sorry and basically here is a 4 wheeler for you. My buddy said it was not one of theirs stolen a year ago, but apparently after a check with the police, it is also not reported as stolen from anywhere else. While I believe their 2 dirtbikes are still AWOL, they now have an extra 4 wheeler they didn't have before.

Some serious guilt and fear of bad mojo musta really happened for this to suddenly appear from out of the blue after all this time.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    WOW, that's got to be one of the strangest stories I've heard in some time. What are the police saying about the 4 wheeler? Does he keep it or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom