• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I don't have one, but I've handled a few and was not impressed. It felt cheap and honestly, I don't see them holding up to repeated use. Takedown is a pain as there's no quick release, you have to use tools to remove a bolt or two, so it's not even that viable as a backpack gun. The extractors are really thin pieces of metal injected into a polymer action piece and feel like they're going to fail on you when you need it not to. The overall design is fine, it's just made with the wrong materials and feels like they tried to shave every penny off the manufacturing cost that they could. Given the price at the big box stores (Mid $400s) I'd rather spend the money on an older but more well made .410 from an auction or similar.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you didn't need the 22 part of it, what would be really fun is getting an old break action and getting a smith to cut down the barrel and install a choke. My old Winchester 370 has a 26" barrel and is almost backpackable broken down, it certainly is with a larger pack. It weighs about 5 3/4lbs as a 20ga. Cut it down to 20" and have an IC choke installed in it (that is what mine has, but, you know, 26" long) and you are talking probably under 5.5lbs and packing in to nothing when broken down.

You just pull down moderately hard and the forestock grip comes off. Press the break action lever, open it up and lift the barrel off. It is about a 3 second process. Reassembly is longer because it is finicky to get the barrel on to the receiver hinge properly, but still 5 seconds on a good day, maybe 20 if I have to fumble with it a bunch.

Downside is it is so light it actually kicks slightly harder than my 870 12ga with a 28" barrel on it

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've heard the 42's are pretty much garbage but I have no personal experience with them. Now if I could find the right 24 I'd be on it quick.
    Missed a 24 in 357/20 last year, it got away for $600.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've heard the 42's are pretty much garbage but I have no personal experience with them. Now if I could find the right 24 I'd be on it quick.
    Missed a 24 in 357/20 last year, it got away for $600.

They made it in 357/20?

I know what is on my wish list!!!!

The 24 is sexy. I'd love one in 22lr/.410 and 357/20

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    As others have said. I would walk away from the 42. I have a 24 that was my grandfathers in 22/410 and it has slayed a ton of small game. It's my go to bunny gun. I did pick up a 24v series d in .222/ 20 for 400.00 at a gun auction in pa. The gun is immaculate and I know the guy who had it so it was a no brainier. The 24s are out there but some of the prices are crazy.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    24 in classifieds listed by psycho in 22 win mag 20 gauge. If your looking for a brake down model
    savage made a camp model in 22/20 20" barrel but there as hard to find as the 357/20's. Started hunt as a
    kid with 22/410 but I think the 20 gauge is a better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom