• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Recently became a member at a 1000yd range. Typically I load 168amax but wanted to see if my 12 twist rem700 would shoot the heavier pills for long range. I have a load worked up as follows
    Hornady brass
    178gr bthp .530 advertised bc
    44.1 gr varget
    2610fps 20" tube
    My stability factor is 1.37 at 1000ft 39deg will this be enough or am I going to be pissing in the wind trying to hit 1000 with the marginal stability? I worked up to 44.5grs and can hit 2650fps but the groups weren't as tight and I don't think 40fps is gonna make too much difference.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Well, just going by the caclculations: With an SG below 1.5 you run the risk of increased pitch an yaw which CAN lead to decreased accuracy and will lead to a worse BC.
    Now, CAN is the operational word here, just try and see what happens!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Well, just going by the caclculations: With an SG below 1.5 you run the risk of increased pitch an yaw which CAN lead to decreased accuracy and will lead to a worse BC.

I shot the load at 100yds and it printed a good group. Berger says I'm losing 6% of the bc due to my stability. If I change the conditions to 79deg or higher I have a stability of 1.55. I can live with a little loss just wasn't sure if these things would go all crazy out past 800yds or so. Guess I will have to start walking it out and find out. Attached is the 5 shot group from earlier today. Had a great thing going till I pulled the 5th shot.

Attachments

• KIMG0315-4-1.jpg
      KIMG0315-4-1.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 341

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv

I shot the load at 100yds and it printed a good group. Berger says I'm losing 6% of the bc due to my stability. If I change the conditions to 79deg or higher I have a stability of 1.55. I can live with a little loss just wasn't sure if these things would go all crazy out past 800yds or so. Guess I will have to start walking it out and find out. Attached is the 5 shot group from earlier today. Had a great thing going till I pulled the 5th shot.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Went to Ed Shell's class this summer and two guys came out with new-never- shot factory rifles, fixed 10x Bushnell scopes(un-mounted) and Federal 175GM

BOTH of them were successful at hitting targets out to ~1265yds.

Both ran out of scope elevation and were using the mil-dots in VERY tough swirling winds.

I was ready and had a higher hit percentage but they were just barely missing the 12-24" steel!

Overall my over-preparation was just wasted time.

EVERYONE had a great time and I highly recommend it!

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    It will make it. Your stability will actually go up as the bullet slows down as the relationship of forward movement and rotational change. You will just be above transsonic barrier .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That sounds about right.

I run SMK 175s in Lapua brass (most loads run about 0.4 grain less in Lapua), and 43.5 grains Varget. It has worked well out to 1200 yards.

Did you run an OCW?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    That sounds about right.

I run SMK 175s in Lapua brass (most loads run about 0.4 grain less in Lapua), and 43.5 grains Varget. It has worked well out to 1200 yards.

Did you run an OCW?

I did. Have some more rounds made up to see if tweaking oal will fine tune my load but as it sits I'm getting .5 moa at 100yds. May try a match primer too before I decided to load up 100rds for the range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I found in my Rem 700, the further out I seated, the better.

Shoot the various COAL, just like you did the OCW, one round of each batch, then repeat.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Made it out to the range today. They work! Took almost 3 hrs and 100rds but I have a solid dope chart all the way to 1000yds. Now if I could just learn to read the wind better and time my shots between gusts. Took 35moa from my 100yd zero to hit 1k. Need a better scope too the crosshairs on my 4-16x Weaver are just too thick at distance and more magnification would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom