• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    We've discussed this elsewhere, but I'll break the ice on it in this thread.

So far, I haven't seen enough of a example spread to say whether it has, or doesn't have, any effect.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've never had one done, but I shoot with a bunch of people that spends lots of money on rifles and there isn't a one that is cyro'd.

Most if your good barrel makers will heat treat (read north of 1k degrees) and spec out the steel for the blanks they get. None of the top barrel makers (barlein, kreiger,brux, etc) use it. Kreiger used to but stopped. Its been around for 20+ years and I've yet to see hard data that says it works or makes cleaning easier.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I've never had one done, but I shoot with a bunch of people that spends lots of money on rifles and there isn't a one that is cyro'd.

Most if your good barrel makers will heat treat (read north of 1k degrees) and spec out the steel for the blanks they get. None of the top barrel makers (barlein, kreiger,brux, etc) use it. Kreiger used to but stopped. Its been around for 20+ years and I've yet to see hard data that says it works or makes cleaning easier.

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Funny, I was going to ask if cryo was still a thing. And then I just saw of video by Iraqveteran888 on the Valkryie with a cryo'd barrel on Youtube.

They were claiming 80 ft/sec faster.

I had barrels cryo'd back in the late 80's or early 90's. The gunsmiths claimed that stainless barrels machined easier and lasted longer. I never had one cryo'd and one not to do an A - B comparison. I don't know if they really lasted longer or not.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Funny, I was going to ask if cryo was still a thing. And then I just saw of video by Iraqveteran888 on the Valkryie with a cryo'd barrel on Youtube.

They were claiming 80 ft/sec faster.

I had barrels cryo'd back in the late 80's or early 90's. The gunsmiths claimed that stainless barrels machined easier and lasted longer. I never had one cryo'd and one not to do an A - B comparison. I don't know if they really lasted longer or not.

80fps is a good pickup, but barrel life, consistency, accuracy, etc... are my primary concern with this. The AR10 DMR is going to be built one time and I would rather have what will give me all the advantages I can get, but no flash in the pan kind of stuff. I remember the moly coated bullets and how the shooting community was divided on those. I would rather not fall into the same trap.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    80fps is a good pickup, but barrel life, consistency, accuracy, etc... are my primary concern with this. The AR10 DMR is going to be built one time and I would rather have what will give me all the advantages I can get, but no flash in the pan kind of stuff. I remember the moly coated bullets and how the shooting community was divided on those. I would rather not fall into the same trap.

Cryo is exactly like moly coated bullets IMO.

Put it to you this way, if it helped even a little bit, you'd be seeing all the benchrest/fclass guys using it/them. Again just my $.02.

Lots of this sport is a head game, if you BELIEVE it helps, you will be more confident and possibly shoot better. Is that worth $100, that's up to you haha.

I'd also like to hear what Ed has to say.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Put it to you this way, if it helped even a little bit, you'd be seeing all the benchrest/fclass guys using it/them. Again just my $.02.

Lots of this sport is a head game, if you BELIEVE it helps, you will be more confident and possibly shoot better. Is that worth $100, that's up to you haha.

Yea, I see your point and I believe you are right on this. I appreciate the input.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Basic metallurgy and thermodynamics suggest it it bunk.

You don't speed up phase changes, chemical reactions or dislocation movement (stress relief) by lowering the temperature of a solid. In metals, these processes are already glacially slow at room temperature.

Major03

Ultimate Member

I'm falling in this camp. My guess is that it's a way for adding a service that increases the cost of the item...not much else.

That said, I have one Remington 700 with a cryo barrel. It shoots just as well, but no better than my other custom Remington 700...and also my off the shelf Remington 700P.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Plenty of Mini-14 owners have the barrels cryoed to get better and more consistent accuracy out of their Minis. The pencil barrels on the original Mini-14s tended to wander after heating up. Thicker barrels, which I'm guessing your AR-10 has, don't really need this.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Basic metallurgy and thermodynamics suggest it it bunk.

You don't speed up phase changes, chemical reactions or dislocation movement (stress relief) by lowering the temperature of a solid. In metals, these processes are already glacially slow at room temperature.

'zactly. Cryo is more of a snake oil sale for the shooting community. Normalizing I can see have more of an effect.
    Another poster talked of the mental side. I believe he's right.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The M1A that I bought from a very good friend, had been cryo'd before I got it.

Kreiger Hvy Match barrel.

More 'stuff' done to this gorgeous rifle than I could tell you.

FWIW, clean-up is a LOT faster, quicker, easier on this barrel, than any other that I've ever owned.

Accuracy????
    Think what you want, but, this rifle will hold 1" groups at 200 yards, as long as you can hold 'er steady.

Snake oil????? :shrug: I don't know.

Am I convinced it works?????? It works on THIS rifle!

These are the people that cryo'd the M1A that I have.

https://www.300below.com/

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have seen a marked improvement on thinner barrels that had cyro treatment, BUT to be fair the treatment was always paired with other work. Trigger, blueprinting, bedding and so forth. I can't opine on ease of cleaning because I think cleaning often is bunk. My opinion is biased.

Heavier contour barrels, no observed improvement.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have seen a marked improvement on thinner barrels that had cyro treatment, BUT to be fair the treatment was always paired with other work. Trigger, blueprinting, bedding and so forth. I can't opine on ease of cleaning because I think cleaning often is bunk. My opinion is biased.

Heavier contour barrels, no observed improvement.
    Excellent. I was considering a SPR barrel for it from X-Caliber spec'ed the way I wanted for rifling, chamber, threading, etc... Would an SPR barrel fall into the thin barrel category, based on your observations?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Why not have a bartlein, kreiger spun up reamed to your specs? Yes its more expensive, but it might pay dividends over the 4k round barrel life

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Why not have a bartlein, kreiger spun up reamed to your specs? Yes its more expensive, but it might pay dividends over the 4k round barrel life

It was a thought to go that route, but I realized that making tiny groups at 1k isn't important when you are going after varmint. They aren't going to care what group size you are making when they are meeting their maker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom