• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Been shooting Tightgroup forever but want something cleaner. Have a bunch of clays but am lookin for other clean options.

3.16 grains of TG gets me 990fps with 135 grain cast coated lead out of my Shadow 2... Sounds really nice with the Wolfman and my PPCs

Will be sticking with the 135 grain Pills but am looking for another powder...

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I visited TK ammo and Andrew told ne they used LongShot exclusively for their 9mm loads. I’ve used it ever since and it seems like a good choice thus far. I don’t know how clean is clean but I rarely clean my Glocks. So maybe it’s clean.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Been shooting Tightgroup forever but want something cleaner. Have a bunch of clays but am lookin for other clean options.

3.16 grains of TG gets me 990fps with 135 grain cast coated lead out of my Shadow 2... Sounds really nice with the Wolfman and my PPCs

Will be sticking with the 135 grain Pills but am looking for another powder...

I use HP-38 works great for me on all different weight projectiles.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I like my CFE pistol powder. Give it a try

I’ve heard good things. I just picked up a pound to try it in 147gr loads. I’ve been reloading with bullseye. Dirty stuff, but runs great and meters awesome in my Lyman powder measure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use Bullseye, usually easy to find and low grain loads, it burns as clean as most.

Maybe I don’t have the loads dialed in, or need a stronger crimp or something, but it seems to run dirtier than most of my commercial loads unless I am running on the hotter side.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I always found Bullseye to be very dirty. I switched to Unique as it was cleaner.

But later went to WW231/HP38 (same powder).

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I've loaded 9mm with CFE Pistol. It's one of the only powders that I could find at the time, so I gave it a try. I can't say I noticed it being cleaner.

Guns get dirty. The only guns that don't get dirty are the ones not being used.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, I've tried stuff other than TG and never really noticed much of a difference in terms of cleaning. You put a bunch of ammo through your pistol, it's gonna get dirty no matter what it is. As long as you keep it lubed and give it a quick wipe-down once in a while, your pistol should keep running.

I've thought about moving off TG to other powders for 9mm, but TG is just so damned flexible and economical that it's hard to justify.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I just recently stared running things suppressed and man things get filthy fast. I probably clean my guns every 3 or 400 rounds. I am being particularly mean to my Q5 Match SF and have 600 through it. Dirty but still running. Maybe I will try the Vitavourhi. A pound instead of 8 pounds for a test.

My other problem with TG is that it gets everywhere when I am loading 9mm... I have done all the press improvements to smooth out the Dillion but it still gets everywhere...

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I've switched to Vihtavuori for all my suppressed powders. It's cleaner and quieter than anything else I've used. N320 in a 300blk bolt gun is mouse farts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom