• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I showed up to my first 3 gun shoot at AGC 4 years ago with a pump shotgun, a bare bones AR, and an XDM with the stock holster. I ran around with shotgun shells and magazines falling out of my cargo pockets. I had a blast and found that virtually everyone was helpful and by the end of the shoot I was lent mag holders and shotgun caddys from different people and shot two different peoples guns. I was hooked.

Don’t get too concerned about the gear but do make sure that you know how to safely use what you have. Make sure you know how to load and unload the shotgun tube, keep your finger out of the guard while reloading and moving, and practice reloads and muzzle control a little bit before coming out. Also practice drawing and placing the handgun back into the holster safely.

When you get there, don’t be afraid to tell people, especially the ROs, that it’s your first time. They will walk you through everything and always default to waiting to be told to do anything with your firearm.

All of this.

I would recommend that you start by trying our Falling Steel matches at the AGC. Unfortunately, you are going to need to work on your ammo stash first, because 100 rounds wont last you for the entire match.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Good, do they have people come and watch? is there a schedule for matches at ACG?

I have some 5.11 pants, but they are dirty from fixing trucks, so I guess they could work, but the dirty pants and cheap guns would kind of give me a theme I try and avoid, even though I am just that.

I have a pistol mag holder and a retention holder that came with the XD (XD Gear!)

I don't have an AR, so I won't be riffle shooting with one of those. I could probaby borrow one, but isn't 5.56 and .223 unobtanium right now?

I don't have an AR. I have a VZ2008. I have a pistol mag holder and a retention holster for my XD as stated above, the XD gear stuff that came with the gun when I bought it

how much to practice? I only have 100 rounds of .40 right now, would I need more then that? Even if I can't practice it might be good for me to come check out your setup.

Let me chew on my wife, maybe I can go into work late the next day so I can help take the kids to daycare as a consolation prize for dealing with them on her own from 5:30 on.

I’ve got some .40 I could sell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Totally up to you, however much you want to shoot. Typical practice course will be like 8-12 rounds or so and a little moving/shooting behind or through barricades and stuff.

There’s lots of good info and the schedule for the rest of the year here: https://associatedgunclubs.org/action_shooting/

Sign up for the emails too if you want to get notified about events and when the matches open on practiscore

Ok, I think I will just come down and watch to see what you guys are doing. I will bring my VZ, my shotgun and my XD with some ammo for the XD in case (better to have it and not want/need it, then need/want it and not have it) if you are ok with me just standing around and seeing what is going on.

I signed up for the newsletter.

I showed up to my first 3 gun shoot at AGC 4 years ago with a pump shotgun, a bare bones AR, and an XDM with the stock holster. I ran around with shotgun shells and magazines falling out of my cargo pockets. I had a blast and found that virtually everyone was helpful and by the end of the shoot I was lent mag holders and shotgun caddys from different people and shot two different peoples guns. I was hooked.

Don’t get too concerned about the gear but do make sure that you know how to safely use what you have. Make sure you know how to load and unload the shotgun tube, keep your finger out of the guard while reloading and moving, and practice reloads and muzzle control a little bit before coming out. Also practice drawing and placing the handgun back into the holster safely.

When you get there, don’t be afraid to tell people, especially the ROs, that it’s your first time. They will walk you through everything and always default to waiting to be told to do anything with your firearm.

Well it is good to know the XD gear holster would work for the competition, it sounds like you started in a similar way that I am considering doing it

I like tihs info, wish I had time to get involved. Loved shooting comp's in the past.

Gun market to busy for action shooting huh? I think that is a good problem to have

All of this.

I would recommend that you start by trying our Falling Steel matches at the AGC. Unfortunately, you are going to need to work on your ammo stash first, because 100 rounds wont last you for the entire match.

Well I will hold off until then. I typically only keep 100-500 rounds of .40 FMJ at the house.

I’ve got some .40 I could sell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be interested, but I am not going to pay COVID ammo pricing for ammo, because if you wait and look around, regular ammo pricing can be had on .40 and 7.62x39, and 12 gauge.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    a bit of a drive for you, but peacemaker is having a uspsa/idpa-like match this weekend, am and pm slots. basically you run around and shoot cardboard and steel targets. pretty good newbie competition start.

https://peacemakernational.com/event/pntc-kahr-defensive-handgun-series-saturday-am-match-10-3-20/

i'm doing both am and pm and am happy to show you the ropes. handgun, holster, 200 rounds (though if i read right you may be ammo-constrained now). these (all competitions) are a ton of fun and help you become one with your gun should a hd/sd situation arise in the future.

on oct 17 & 24 they are doing 2 & 3 gun matches if you want to spectate and/or shoot.

https://peacemakernational.com/events/2020-10/

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Ok, I think I will just come down and watch to see what you guys are doing. I will bring my VZ, my shotgun and my XD with some ammo for the XD in case (better to have it and not want/need it, then need/want it and not have it) if you are ok with me just standing around and seeing what is going on.

I signed up for the newsletter.

Cool, I think once you see things you’ll want to shoot, bring some wrap around eye protection and ear pro since we’ll be shooting steel, I’ll bring my belt so you can check it out

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Whether you jump in feet first or nibble at the edges for awhile the gear in 3-gun is a moving target. Already had a couple of double-stack 1911s (STI and Bul) and a race holster from USPSA. Did not have an AR at the time. So I bought a Stag 3G upper and built a lower from parts I won at other matches. Had a a couple of Browning Gold shotguns which was a model used by multi time winners several years ago. But I was not trying to buy my way into good equipment. Found that the right barrel for the Browning cost more that an entire Mossberg 930 JMP shotgun. Sold the Brownings and used the money for a pair of Mossbergs (1 for 3-gun and 1 for HD) and some mods. By the time the first season was done the only 2 parts in the AR that were there from the original build was the Stag barrel and the stock. Hardest skill to learn was loading the shotgun fast. There was no such thing as 2-gun then so if you don't have shotgun skills do that first. And use as much of the equipment you already have in your first matches. Its by far the most fun you can have with firearms. My favorite match was always the York IWLA 3-man/3-gun yearly match. I eventually switched to a Glock 34 as a 3-gun pistol but anything will do. Once you realize you are never going to beat Daniel Horner or Greg Jordan you can just have fun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Whether you jump in feet first or nibble at the edges for awhile the gear in 3-gun is a moving target. Already had a couple of double-stack 1911s (STI and Bul) and a race holster from USPSA. *snip* I eventually switched to a Glock 34 as a 3-gun pistol but anything will do.
    Did you switch because the STI/BUL were in 38 and 40 or something? I have to admit I have been thinking about a higher-end double stack 9mm 1911 (like the SAS II) for 3gun because most rulesets allow it in the equivalent of Tac Scope... whereas it's completely useless in USPSA because shooting Limited with 9mm is just screwing yourself. I currently shoot G34s right now in 3gun, and do alright, but I know I'd do better with a better trigger.

This is, incidentally, one little warning about assuming USPSA/SC guns are a natural lead-in to being used in 3gun - sometimes it's true, especially for USPSA Production/Limited, but not always, and they are frequently not the optimal choice. This goes doubly-so for IDPA gear, which is generally not appropriate for USPSA or 3gun usage.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Whether you jump in feet first or nibble at the edges for awhile the gear in 3-gun is a moving target.

I went and bought the shot shell holders, (image with green shells). A set of 5 cost me $125.

I did 2 matches and I saw these quad loaders being used, (image with red shells). To get enough of the quad style to hold the equivalent shells as the other set of 5 holders it would have cost me over $150 at the time.

I said F' it and I run the more difficult set 5 and don't worry about it.

Attachments

• 4-belt holder shot shells.jpg
      4-belt holder shot shells.jpg
      17.4 KB · Views: 251
    • shot shell 3 gun.jpeg
      shot shell 3 gun.jpeg
      13 KB · Views: 260

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Pshaw, you left out the cost of opening your shotgun's port so you can nail a reliable quad load in the first place.

Personal opinion: you are better off skipping shotgun and going 2gun if you can't stomach the cost of a decent semi-auto shotgun w/ extended tube, carriers, and shotgun work you need to do it right. There is nothing less fun than fumbling with a side saddle or trying to pull shells out of your 5.11s in random orientations when you're on the clock. Depending on the stage, you can do generally reasonable work with a so-so rifle/pistol setup, but shotgun in 3gun is all about reloading, and if you can't reload fast...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    peacemaker and a few others use the umml ruleset where you can opt to shoot 3 gun matches in a 2 gun division, and of course there are actual 2 gun matches around (peacemaker, thurmont, etc). i've been doing that lately, the shottie adds by far the most complexity (diff chokes, shot v slugs, specialized/expensive shell holders, super low magazine capacity, etc). sometimes it's nice to do a handgun-only match (uspsa, idpa) and just throw your handgun and belt in the truck and that's it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One of these days I will make the trip to PNTC purely to shoot in 2x4 division. That looks like a ton of fun.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Real men do this themselves.

This! A decent set of files, painters tape, and understanding how to do the loads, you can do it in a few hours.

Also if you have a 3D printer, you can print shell holders for basically nothing. In fact if you know someone with a 3D printer you can do everything but the holster and belt.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Port opening job costs way less than a few hours of my time, unfortunately... especially since the shotgun was going in for other work anyways.

I've looked at the 3D printed shell holders and might give them a go sometime, but I shelled out for an Invictus 12Q and it seems to do the job (other than shell retention not being as stiff as I'd prefer).

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Port opening job costs way less than a few hours of my time, unfortunately... especially since the shotgun was going in for other work anyways.

I've looked at the 3D printed shell holders and might give them a go sometime, but I shelled out for an Invictus 12Q and it seems to do the job (other than shell retention not being as stiff as I'd prefer).

I've messed with a few designs on my printer. The nice part is that you can custom fit the shell holder to your shells. So by adjusting overall width and by allowing the shrinkage to happen around the shells, you can get your retention where you want. If it breaks, well you print another.

I'm running the Invictus 12Q and for the most part it's holding up. Bending over will toss a few shells, so I take all my shells out when I'm running the timer.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've messed with a few designs on my printer. The nice part is that you can custom fit the shell holder to your shells. So by adjusting overall width and by allowing the shrinkage to happen around the shells, you can get your retention where you want. If it breaks, well you print another.
    Did a lot of this when I printing mag sleeves. :) Do you have a particular design that you think works well?

I'm running the Invictus 12Q and for the most part it's holding up. Bending over will toss a few shells, so I take all my shells out when I'm running the timer.
    This is what I've also discovered. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker, and dumping 12 shells in right before I step up isn't a big deal. Have been considering the Carbon Arms Pinwheel, but I don't know that it's the best use of my money at this moment.

ETA: I'm taking the official IDPA RSO training in November, so I will probably start help running the timer after that, at least at AGC. :)

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Did a lot of this when I printing mag sleeves. :) Do you have a particular design that you think works well?

This is what I've also discovered. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker, and dumping 12 shells in right before I step up isn't a big deal. Have been considering the Carbon Arms Pinwheel, but I don't know that it's the best use of my money at this moment.

ETA: I'm taking the official IDPA RSO training in November, so I will probably start help running the timer after that, at least at AGC. :)

I've been messing with this one so far:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1441205

I'm trying to find time to see if I can scale it to be a 12 Up, but my fusion skills aren't that great.

I just load mine up and practice my loads as I'm pre-loading the tube. That leaves 3 on the caddy and they usually hold on throughout my running around and resetting. Then I just toss 9 on just before I step up to the line. For the price and adjustability its great. The 3D printed one is for when we have those crazy stages where 20 shells just isn't enough.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Cool, I think once you see things you’ll want to shoot, bring some wrap around eye protection and ear pro since we’ll be shooting steel, I’ll bring my belt so you can check it out

sorry for the late cancellation, but I am actually working my side job Thursday night.

I have to keep the hustle going to stay afloat, for at least a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom