• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    what are some of the rigs you are guys using?

Been looking at some double alpha stuff, curious what others are using...

Ghostrider1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2009
    The PGC
    What’s your mindset for it? Do you want to win the game, or use it as higher-stress training than punching paper on a static range?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Most shooting organizations have holster rules depending on division. Full competition holsters are only allowed in Open and Limited in USPSA/SCSA and none in IDPA. Unless they have changed IDPA does not allow double belts either, so single operator and instructor belts tend to be the norm there. Similar rules for magazine holders in each. Best thing is find out what division you want to shoot and check the rules for that division in their respective rule books.

NewTwo

Jan 10, 2020
    If you're just starting out then I'd recommend just the basics. A simple kydex holster and basic magazine pouches will suffice. Scores are much more contingent on skill than gear.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    To answer your question, for USPSA and Steel Challenge, I use Midway's competition belt, AA's Alpha-X holster, and some Black Scorpion knock-offs I picked up from Amazon. For 3-gun, Uncle Mike's two-piece belt, and a Nerd Coffin holster. I don't shoot IDPA anymore.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    To answer your question, for USPSA and Steel Challenge, I use Midway's competition belt, AA's Alpha-X holster, and some Black Scorpion knock-offs I picked up from Amazon. For 3-gun, Uncle Mike's two-piece belt, and a Nerd Coffin holster. I don't shoot IDPA anymore.

thanks!

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    Like others have said it depends on the game.

A good belt is a important start for either. You want something stiff and durable. For a holster kydex is probably the way to go. Depending on the game will decide if you can use a drop offset of some kind or not. For mag pouches I like multiple single pouches over any kind of double pouch. Personally I like CR-speed for USPSA and I'll use the DAA IDPA racer's for IDPA. Red hill holsters for both with different belt attachments. DAA belt in USPSA and a Shooters Connection Belt in IDPA.

I wouldn't mind finding a better IDPA belt.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I mostly shoot 3 gun, steel challenge/PSA, and a little USPSA. I use roughly the same drop/offset holsters for all, Red Hill competition and Double Alpha PDR pro2. Have an older Bladetech Black Ice for my M&P pro limited rig, and it works well enough. Use a 2 peice velcro belt, probably have 4 or 5 now, Bladetech, Double Alpha, and think an el-cheapo Scorpion. Most of my Mag holders are bladetech on tek-lok, I primarily run singles for handgun, and doubles for PCC, Taccom quad load belt caddies for shotgun shells. My gear is a little dated, and being primarily a 3 gunner, I like pouches that retain well even if they might be a little slower.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Like others have said it depends on the game.

A good belt is a important start for either. You want something stiff and durable. For a holster kydex is probably the way to go. Depending on the game will decide if you can use a drop offset of some kind or not. For mag pouches I like multiple single pouches over any kind of double pouch. Personally I like CR-speed for USPSA and I'll use the DAA IDPA racer's for IDPA. Red hill holsters for both with different belt attachments. DAA belt in USPSA and a Shooters Connection Belt in IDPA.

I wouldn't mind finding a better IDPA belt.

I mostly shoot 3 gun, steel challenge/PSA, and a little USPSA. I use roughly the same drop/offset holsters for all, Red Hill competition and Double Alpha PDR pro2. Have an older Bladetech Black Ice for my M&P pro limited rig, and it works well enough. Use a 2 peice velcro belt, probably have 4 or 5 now, Bladetech, Double Alpha, and think an el-cheapo Scorpion. Most of my Mag holders are bladetech on tek-lok, I primarily run singles for handgun, and doubles for PCC, Taccom quad load belt caddies for shotgun shells. My gear is a little dated, and being primarily a 3 gunner, I like pouches that retain well even if they might be a little slower.

thank you! this is exactly what i was looking for!

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I did double alpha stuff for Mag holders because I wanted bullet out and adjustability. I also got a couple of their quad loaders for Shotgun. I have one of their holsters and a couple of holsters from Ben Stoeger which I think I like more than the one PDR ProII holster I have from Double Alpha. I am looking at an Alpha-X holster but am not sure of practicality in 3Gun as that is what I like to shoot the most. Finding good lefty gear is not easy which was why I went to the PDR pro holster first. I would probably look closely at the Ben Stoeger holsters since I found them later, and they have a great selection of Lefty stuff.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    I did double alpha stuff for Mag holders because I wanted bullet out and adjustability. I also got a couple of their quad loaders for Shotgun. I have one of their holsters and a couple of holsters from Ben Stoeger which I think I like more than the one PDR ProII holster I have from Double Alpha. I am looking at an Alpha-X holster but am not sure of practicality in 3Gun as that is what I like to shoot the most. Finding good lefty gear is not easy which was why I went to the PDR pro holster first. I would probably look closely at the Ben Stoeger holsters since I found them later, and they have a great selection of Lefty stuff.

i am a left pistol shooter and a righty everything else, i'd be interested to know your thoughts of going through the trouble of looking for OWB holsters... which ones you've tried, which ones you like/dont like etc...

Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    I like RedHillTactical and think they have a good product, are a Maryland business and if you have questions are very knowledgeable and nice to speak with.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    As others have said, different gear is best for different games and different divisions so you are going to have to specify.

Best components I’ve found for non IDPA are:

GLS holster from safariland is great for production classes and for three gun. I also use an Alpha X for steel challenge Limited class. I don’t use the Alpha x for three gun because I don’t like my pistol grinding on the ground when I lay down or roll around.

I prefer the alpha X mag holders for pistol. I do have safariland pouches which fit closer to my body and are a little better for three/two gun if I have to sling a rifle a lot. I like the adjustability of the alpha x pouches best but they aren’t real comfortable to lay down on in 3 gun. I use safariland AR mag holders. They are relatively cheap, can be ganged together and just work.

Two piece safariland competition belt. Get a snowboard binder ratchet to hold it on and adjust the tightness. I run lots of the safariland ELS and a QLS for the holsters.

For shotgun caddies there is no equal to the safariland caddies. I can lay down on them, karate chop them, beat my slung rifle off them, etc and the shells don’t come out. They still release the shells just fine with your hands. They are simply amazing after having Taccoms and several other brands.

Bottom line...other than the belt and shotgun caddies you are going to end up with multiple setups to optimize for the different sports. It ain’t going to be cheap either, there is easily $1k worth of stuff to hang around your belt in the list above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom