• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    So yall wanna prep? Anyway I found this entertaining at least. Gravel stops rounds better than sand?? Well, weight vs stopping power. Gravel and sand is best if you can bear the weight.

Well they shot guns at it. So it seemed interesting to share.

Be safe.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My neighbor was joking with me the other day that we should go Alamo at his house because his is brick and mine is siding.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    My house in Laurel was a brick facade in front for street appeal. Don't confuse.

I would just offer to shoot both walls with a rifle. :rolleyes:;):cool:

Besides. It is a gun form and this would require shooting something.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Most walls could not be filled with 1/2" gravel and hold together, since they are not designed for this. I remember seeing an article in a magazine about walls made of compressed dirt and gravel. Back in the 1970's, with the oil embargo and energy crisis, people were looking at new energy efficient construction methods and someone had come up with the idea of a compressed dirt wall sandwiched by two wooden sheets to help reduce heat loss or gain. A wall made of 6" of compressed dirt sandwiched between two 1" plywood sheets would stop all pistol and many rifle bullets. Of course, the designer didn't have bullet resistance in mind when he came up with the idea.

P.S. I found a video about this. It turns out people are actually doing this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjyGOOtOFik

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I think the structural problem is with of sand and dirt is more compact and heavier.
    Gravel has air. It also stops better. That is really the discussion. Sand is too heavy, but say 1" gravel, in wall, to chest height. Again, that would be a personal weight/structure calculation.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    HESCO or ICF would be my first and second choices. Any wall can be breached if you apply enough force in the right place. Engineers, artillery, or air power. : )

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Most walls could not be filled with 1/2" gravel and hold together, since they are not designed for this. I remember seeing an article in a magazine about walls made of compressed dirt and gravel. Back in the 1970's, with the oil embargo and energy crisis, people were looking at new energy efficient construction methods and someone had come up with the idea of a compressed dirt wall sandwiched by two wooden sheets to help reduce heat loss or gain. A wall made of 6" of compressed dirt sandwiched between two 1" plywood sheets would stop all pistol and many rifle bullets. Of course, the designer didn't have bullet resistance in mind when he came up with the idea.

Rammed earthen homes, or earth ships..

Tires with smashed in soil.

Upcycle and bullet resistance. The hippies got it right!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Most walls are 2x4 over plywood between joists and I do not think the joist or the entire structure is going to handle that load. Think a 50' wall in a home could easily hold 10 tones of gravel. You would have to have walls built on a poured concrete foundation. Then the settling would likely bow the walls between studs. That OSB looked like it had a slight bow even in that short wall.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Most walls are 2x4 over plywood between joists and I do not think the joist or the entire structure is going to handle that load. Think a 50' wall in a home could easily hold 10 tones of gravel. You would have to have walls built on a poured concrete foundation. Then the settling would likely bow the walls between studs. That OSB looked like it had a slight bow even in that short wall.

yep, never said it was a good idea. An idea starts somewhere.

Yes, something heavy would need a foundation contact. Site dependent. besides, there are other ideas I have yet to test.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    CMU’s filled with mortar. Block home.

Done. Oh, sure you could shoot through it, but last I checked it’s going to take several rifle rounds to bust through a mortar or concrete filled CMU (not an empty one. An empty one, one or two shots will bust it out). I guess if you’ve got a 1919 and a belt of
    Black tip...

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    CMU’s filled with mortar. Block home.

This would work. 1' foundation, 8" block and filled with gravel as raised every two or three courses and brick exterior. Then 2x4 walls inside for R13 heating insulation, because that filled block and brick is going to be about a R.05 with the air chamber filled.

But who are you hiding from? SHTF ruffians trying to take your supplies? Yes that will work. Well prepared storm troopers? They will probably just fire a 40mm grenade through the window and be done.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    In one of John Wesley Rawles' fiction books, I recall that their thing was that they created berms and normally used them for gardens in front of the house.

Of course, he also discussed that they criss-crossed wire and set up chain link fence to deflect RPGs and cause them to detonate there rather than at the house.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.

I would be concerned with wood boring insect infestation primarily termites. This sounds like a perfect avenue for them to travel from their sub ground colonies to cellulose food sources within the structure above grade.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Armored Kevlar siding similar what the Navy uses on their mine sweeper hulls now that is the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom