• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    How the hell do i know if ammo will be able to be used at indoor ranges before I buy it. With the exception of obvious examples like green tips, how can you tell?

Steel core ammo isn't allowed at indoor ranges, and the ammo I do have is all steal core. The box doesn't say anything about this and in fact I've never seen a box specific steel core or now.

So basically, what are the signs that ammo is not steel core and able to be used at an indoor range?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    How the hell do i know if ammo will be able to be used at indoor ranges before I buy it. With the exception of obvious examples like green tips, how can you tell?

Steel core ammo isn't allowed at indoor ranges, and the ammo I do have is all steal core. The box doesn't say anything about this and in fact I've never seen a box specific steel core or now.

So basically, what are the signs that ammo is not steel core and able to be used at an indoor range?

Magnet test.

If a magnet sticks to it, it's either steel-core or bi-metallic jacket (steel plated) and a no-go for indoor ranges.

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    But is there a way to tell prior to buying. For example I'd prefer to know before I place an online order. Or before I meet up with a member here who is selling the ammo.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    bring a magnet to the store or to a meetup. remember, steel case/shell is generally ok, it's the iron/metal in the actual bullet that is a problem and that's where you test with a magnet.

def check out any 62g stuff.

again other than 62g (some of which is ok), generally federal, winchester, pmc, remington, wolf gold, hornady and other bigger names are good to go.

at least some of the wolf, tula, black bear ammo is bi-metal so double check any of that.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    How the ammunition is described can help...if it's .223 Remington it probably isn't metal core...if it's 5.56 mm it could be. If it's 5.56 it might be described as M855 or XM855 which would be green tip or a steel penetrator tip. It's described as M193 or XM193 that's standard 55-grain FMJ ammo. There are some civilian grades of .223 that have a bullet designed to defeat barriers...some are hollow points for accuracy.

Reading the description is helpful.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    If its 55gr (m193) and not Russian its almost certainly not steel core. But it should say on there. If you find some you like post it here and we'll let you know for sure.

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    Ok for example here is an ad from this forums classified that I'm interested in. How much of this is not steel core and able to be used at an indoor range.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-201708_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210113-201708_Chrome.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 173

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ok for example here is an ad from this forums classified that I'm interested in. How much of this is not steel core and able to be used at an indoor range.

As long as that Fiocchi is not their 62gr SS109, none is steel core. The Tulammo is bimetal jacketed, which some indoor ranges don’t allow. Last I checked, Sharpshooters and Elite Shooting Sports in VA still allow bimetal.

Pretty much any 5.56 made in a US friendly country that’s not SS109/M855 or actual AP contains no steel in the projectile. The only exception I can think of is Arsenal JSCo ammo from Bulgaria, which is brass cased, but bimetal jacketed.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    As has been said above, the run of the mill 223 - the Fiochi, the Federal, probably the PMC - would be regular jacketed lead and your good to go. The Tula tends to be cheap stuff, a lot of us won't shoot steel case, and it could be bimetal.
    Nice thing in this case, buying from a fellow MD Shooter, just ask him and use the magnet test. Worst comes to worst you're out a car ride. And the stuff you can't shoot at the range, keep in reserves for if SHTF

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    Thanks. Yea the only one I knew for sure was the tula cuz I tried to take it to the range once. But all this is very helpful. Will buy from him for sure once I get back from being outta town. Assuming the ad is still up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom