• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Looking at this Walther with the 15 round magazine. Might be a stupid question but can I purchase this in Maryland? If not, due to the magazine size, can I purchase out of state mail order and pick up at a FFL in MD? Door number 3, drive out of state, purchase and return to MD with gun?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Looking at this Walther with the 15 round magazine. Might be a stupid question but can I purchase this in Maryland? If not, due to the magazine size, can I purchase out of state mail order and pick up at a FFL in MD? Door number 3, drive out of state, purchase and return to MD with gun?

You can have the pistol transferred through a MD FFL, but the magazine you’d have to make arrangements with the seller to pickup out of state, no way to get them together in MD. Seller may not want to get into that and just sell the pistol without a mag, some do that too.

Short answer, No.

Option 1 is doable but you will probably only get the MD complaint 10 round package. Option 2 is also possible in regards to buying online and having it sent to a Maryland FFL. The problem is, unless you meet certain criteria (ie have a badge) you don't get the 15 round mags. You can have it sent to a MD FFL that will block the mags for you to 10 rounds, but other than that you wont get them. Option three might be your best bet. Buy the gun in VA, DE or PA, have it shipped to a Maryland FFL but take the mags from the out of state gun shop when you buy it at the time of purchase. When you pick it up from the MD FFL you would just be getting the gun sans the mags you already have in your possession.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    You can have the pistol transferred through a MD FFL, but the magazine you’d have to make arrangements with the seller to pickup out of state, no way to get them together in MD. Seller may not want to get into that and just sell the pistol without a mag, some do that too.
    Thanks. Anything legally wrong with having the magazines mailed to a friends house in Delaware? Assuming the seller would agree. Magazines are just parts, correct?

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Short answer, No.

Option 1 is doable but you will probably only get the MD complaint 10 round package. Option 2 is also possible in regards to buying online and having it sent to a Maryland FFL. The problem is, unless you meet certain criteria (ie have a badge) you don't get the 15 round mags. You can have it sent to a MD FFL that will block the mags for you to 10 rounds, but other than that you wont get them. Option three might be your best bet. Buy the gun in VA, DE or PA, have it shipped to a Maryland FFL but take the mags from the out of state gun shop when you buy it at the time of purchase. When you pick it up from the MD FFL you would just be getting the gun sans the mags you already have in your possession.
    Thanks. I’ll have to make some calls. Either way, since it’s a regulated gun it must go through a MD FFL, correct? I’m good on the HQL. I’m not sure Walther even makes a 10 rd mag for this gun. But I can own it legally if I get the gun and mags here separately? This state’s gun laws will drive you nuts.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Thanks. I’ll have to make some calls. Either way, since it’s a regulated gun it must go through a MD FFL, correct? I’m good on the HQL. I’m not sure Walther even makes a 10 rd mag for this gun. But I can own it legally if I get the gun and mags here separately? This state’s gun laws will drive you nuts.

Walther makes 10 round mags. I have 2 of them.

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Yes and yes to your last 2 questions. If you get the mags sent to your FFL with the gun they can plug the mags but if you can pick them up out of state easily, do that. You can own higher capacity mags in MD you just cant purchase or pick them up in MD

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    If you are ever questioning if you can own a certain handgun in MD. Go to the MD state police website and pull up the "handgun roster". If its not on there already (like a new model that just came out) you will have to submit it to the board and wait a while for them to add it to the roster before you can pick it up.

vulcanrun

Feb 27, 2012
    Edgewater
    I have a PPQ M1 that I'll be selling this year. I only have 17 rounds magazines for it, so I'll probably sell without mags, or arrange sale out of state, or online sale.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Yes and yes to your last 2 questions. If you get the mags sent to your FFL with the gun they can plug the mags but if you can pick them up out of state easily, do that. You can own higher capacity mags in MD you just cant purchase or pick them up in MD
    Thanks. I really would like the higher capacity mags if I can pick them up out of state. But if the FFL can plug them that’s fine too. I wasn’t sure that was an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom