Anyone ever have a problem shooting steel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    I was shooting my steel targets today it just got me thinking. Has anyone here ever had an issue/accident/problem when shooting steel? I use steel plates from Walmart and Dragon Targets, 1/2” and 3/8” however I shoot them a lot closer than “minimum safe distance.” The closest I have been to them is maybe 25 feet, with copper plated and lead .22 and 9mm/.45 fmj. All the targets are angled downward slightly. Just wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with steel shooting.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Yes and that includes well past “safe” (really just recommended) distances.

Not sure why anyone would shoot closer to steel than recommended, other than curiosity which I presume will be sated eventually.

Without intending this to be a cheap shot, a lot of people shooting at steel targets “too close” are prime examples of why in so many instances all of us cannot have fun things ...

I’ll leave my editorializing at that - and wish you safe shooting!

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Caught some splash back in the neck about 7 years ago.

A hotshot got permission to shoot 5.7 at a target in 9mm range. Too much velocity for 25y

Felt like a bee sting. Picked out the petal. 2 guys were trained medics, bandage applied and continue. Lots of fat and not near anything critical. Thankfully.

Edit: 9mm at 25, haven’t seen problems. Angle down to cause splash to go that way.

I think it was hickock45 that had a demo. Water bottles under angled down target showed that nearly all reflection went in that direction. Obviously there could be exceptions.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I don't know if this is BS or not. A guy was talking about shooting steel with his 45. He said he used cheaper ammo because the brass on the bullets were a little thinner than on top quality ammo.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't recall the distance but I know it was not 25 yards but a few years ago I did the stemmers run steel shoot and I did sometimes feel splatter on me all the way from where I was shooting.
    Pistol caliber and 22LR.
    Just because its pointed down, doe not mean you can't get a splatter back.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    Yes and that includes well past “safe” (really just recommended) distances.

Not sure why anyone would shoot closer to steel than recommended, other than curiosity which I presume will be sated eventually.

Without intending this to be a cheap shot, a lot of people shooting at steel targets “too close” are prime examples of why in so many instances all of us cannot have fun things ...

I’ll leave my editorializing at that - and wish you safe shooting!

what happened?

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    I’m well aware of the fragment splash. something like 20 degrees from the face of the target. a bullet would have to be moving pretty slow to bounce off and stay in one piece.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Yes, I've had a problem shooting steel. Offering my experience and poor judgement in an effort to help others avoid the same mistake.

4 years ago I was shooting with family at my in-laws place in rural Texas. My FIL's steel bullet trap included swinging plates hanging from a horizontal bar. We set up about 25 yards from the bullet trap. Long story short, I knelt down and fired one shot from a borrowed AR15 and instantly knew something went wrong. It felt like somebody punched me high on the left cheek just under the eye. I put my hand to my face and could tell I was bleeding.

When the bullet hit the swinger, the lead core separated from the copper jacket and came directly back at me. Because I was kneeling, my face was at the same height above ground as the swinger. The bullet fragment hit me just below my safety glasses (high on the left cheek). The lead core that hit me was rounded on one end like a donut and sharpened on the other. The sharpened end cut into my cheek like taking a core sample and the scar is still visible to this day.

Highly recommend honoring the recommended minimum distances for shooting steel and also highly recommend shooting at an angle that reduces the chance of fragments flying back at you!

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I remember a time when my cousins husband got a new .357 revolver and shot at a target posted on an oak or locust piece of firewood at about 25 yds. The bullet came back and hit him in the shin. NICE bruise/contusion!
    No thanks!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Add me to the list. I've had ricochet from steel plates and bowling pins. Nothing serious, just bruises or small cut.

Wear ansi certified safety glasses. Your sunglasses are likely not rated for these impacts.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Not steel, but I was shooting a well known indoor range in the Timonium area. I felt something hit my leg. Didn't think much about it. Then it happened again, this time it felt like i was hit with a rock. I look down and see 2 9mm slugs laying at my feet. The second one left a mark. After that one, I stopped and packed up.
    I take the bullets to the counter and let them know what was happening and show them the slugs. I was informed that the backstop has some "issues" in the lane I was shooting and they were waiting for a part. I was dumbfounded they didn't close those couple of lanes. This was years ago and it has since been fixed.

Before I shot steel the first time, I never realized the amount of sprawl. I have since the 2x4 stands cut in half. If you are at the AGC after a rain, watch the splash under the steel.
    I maintain the the distances...

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I had a pretty good size piece of a 380 round come back and hit me in the shoulder. I was 12 yards from the plate. Everything angled like it should have been. Probably a little too close.

Didn’t hurt but left a mark through my shirt. I still have that piece of bullet around here somewhere.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    People not following rules cause more rules to be created. It took a lot of work to get steel allowed at my club, with specific rules, and I know if something dumb happens steel will be gone.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom