• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    A good friend of mine owns a Subway. The other day he was robbed at gunpoint. He called me with a couple questions. I now live in PA, so I didn't have the answers for him, but I told him that I knew a place to get them. So here you go... He asked,

If he could legally keep a handgun in his store, and if there was a different way it had to be registered.

Any chance of getting a CCW? (I told him highly doubtful)

Thanks for replies. I won't be able to check back until tomorrow.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Is he here in MD and does he OWN the shop or MANAGE the shop?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    He needs to be robbed one more time. Getting killed or close to it will also make him eligible ;)

If he owns the store , he would be within his rights to carry without a permit INSIDE of the store and to transport the gun back and forth unloaded in a locked container. If he puts one foot outside the store while carrying, he could be subject to prosecution.

Given the cash-flow of a subway store and the documented robbery, he may be able to get a CCW under the 'carries currency' criterion. That would keep him legal to put his foot outside the store and to carry while driving home.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    He needs to be robbed one more time. Getting killed or close to it will also make him eligible ;)

If he owns the store , he would be within his rights to carry without a permit INSIDE of the store and to transport the gun back and forth unloaded in a locked container. If he puts one foot outside the store while carrying, he could be subject to prosecution.

Given the cash-flow of a subway store and the documented robbery, he may be able to get a CCW under the 'carries currency' criterion. That would keep him legal to put his foot outside the store and to carry while driving home.

It's fairly easy to get a permit to carry to transport cash deposits.

Now easy is a relative term, so for reference I'm saying easier than getting one for personal defense.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Even if he owns the franchise, he had better check with Subway's Policies and Procedures Manual. THey may be one of those companies who are stupid enough to forbid employees from defending themselves lest Subway be sued by the estate of the perp when this guy lights them up the next time they come in to rob him.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

I would think he could carry on store property. It all depends on what property belongs to the store/is being leased by the business.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    from MD code § 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun

(b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

If he is the owner, manager, or is a "supervisory employee" and has the permission of the owner or manager he is legal. The policy of Subway or the terms of the lease may say different, but they don't carry the weight of the law. If he can prove that he makes cash deposits, he stands a good chance of getting a permit that would allow him to carry outside of the store.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....If he owns the store , he would be within his rights to carry without a permit INSIDE of the store and to transport the gun back and forth unloaded in a locked container.
    The law does not require a locked container, only an enclosed holster or case.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    BAD BAD BAD Area, gangs are taking over, go to the movies there an you will see what I am talking about. LEO's have there hands full.....:sad20: Crime statistics might help get CCW since he is the store owner???

I grew up in 'Garrison' when it was still rural. We called it Owings Mills. There was a corn farm right next to where the Lenny's deli is.

The mall used to have a Saks Fifth Avenue.....my how times have changed.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    The mall has about 15 stores left. Everyone basically shut the doors in the mall

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    He can carry in his store that he owns or leases, no permit needed.

Now if he is in a mall or other shopping center, he may have issues with the Center's operators. He'd need to check his lease.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The mall has about 15 stores left. Everyone basically shut the doors in the mall

And the morons who caused it, wonder "why?" (It's because you don't sh*t on your own plate, idiots.)

I worked close to the mall throughout the 90's, and watched it begin the decline after the metro went in, then fall into the abyss when Randallstown began encroaching on it.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    And the morons who caused it, wonder "why?" (It's because you don't sh*t on your own plate, idiots.)

I worked close to the mall throughout the 90's, and watched it begin the decline after the metro went in, then fall into the abyss when Randallstown began encroaching on it.

Yep, I'm from Carroll County too. I can remember not so long ago going to that mall and it wasn't half bad. Its worthless now. Give it another 10yrs, and it will be like Security.

My friend is checking with subway, and his lease, and then is going to apply for a carry permit. He's even going to come up my way in the next couple weeks to try out some handguns, to see what feels right. Moving in the right direction.... Thanks

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Yep, I'm from Carroll County too. I can remember not so long ago going to that mall and it wasn't half bad. Its worthless now. Give it another 10yrs, and it will be like Security.

My friend is checking with subway, and his lease, and then is going to apply for a carry permit. He's even going to come up my way in the next couple weeks to try out some handguns, to see what feels right. Moving in the right direction.... Thanks

I would suggest that the guy take some defensive shooting classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom