• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    It's easier to peck away at our rights with one law at a time. Most judges view gun regulations as minor inconveniences, but big and bold anti-gun laws lead to larger than life second amendment court cases that don't turn out well for the hate filled left.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Provided the lower has never been previously assembled as a rifle, your good to go.

The water's have been muddied some, so that's the short and sweet answer to your question.

I'm not doubting you, but is that your opinion or MSP's? Has anyone contacted MSP to see what they say? I know logically speaking the "if its not specifically said to be illegal, it must be legal" argument should hold true, but we also know how this state is...

I would just like to find something official somewhere in print saying it's okay to build an AR pistol.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I think he is actually referring to Federal law.

Starting with a stripped lower which is technically neither a rifle nor a pistol.

Pistol first-->then rifle-->then pistol-->then rifle.... is Okay according to the ATF. Notice I didn't say the law.

Rifle first-->then pistol-->.... Bad bad bad according to the ATF.

I think the only court case sort of addressing all this is the Thompson Center case. The ATF got smacked down on that one.
    http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    As long as it was first a pistol, you can convert back and forth between a pistol and rifle configuration. So here's how it works in my mind. Put your AR together, everything except for the butt-stock. Hold it up in the air and proclaim loudly for all the world to hear, "look at my AR15 pistol". Then put your buttstock on if you like (this assumes you have a 16"+ barrel). Now you can go back and forth between rifle and pistol (being careful about barrel length).

I am not so sure what it really is. On the surface it looks like incompetence, but I am beginning to think they know exactly what they're doing. Sure, part of it is intentionally having incompetent people in certain positions.

Funny...i kind of did that with my rifles. I mainly did it to see how a "pistol" ar would have felt. So i guess i can go back and forth between any of them. Nice

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I've heard it said that the thompson ruling only applies to that specific pistol in that specific case, so I wouldn't go around telling myself or others that it's cool to do that with ARs unless I got the OK from the ATF in writing.

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    Time to throw another wrench. My understanding was that if the stripped lower was marked as a rifle on the transfer paperwork, it can not be built into a pistol. It must be checked "other" or "pistol". Most FFL's check the rifle box when selling a stripped lower.

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    just buy one of these and be done with it....

P556SWATMRDS.jpg

p.s. I have one in stock and its perfectly legal in MD, come see me!!!

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    Time to throw another wrench. My understanding was that if the stripped lower was marked as a rifle on the transfer paperwork, it can not be built into a pistol. It must be checked "other" or "pistol". Most FFL's check the rifle box when selling a stripped lower.

yea it's "other"...they get registered as a receiver...only thing i would concern myself with is making sure you set it up so a stock cannot be attached to it i.e. gas-piston upper with a plug in the buffer tube hole)

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    yea it's "other"...they get registered as a receiver...only thing i would concern myself with is making sure you set it up so a stock cannot be attached to it i.e. gas-piston upper with a plug in the buffer tube hole)
    That was already covered. An AR15 pistol with a regular old buffer tube is okay. There are some caveats that go along with that.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    K, I have three Spike's lowers I got Xfered years ago. I'm ASSuming that since they were cash n' carry they wren't "registered". Am I still kosher to build a pistol with one of them. None of them have been "built" yet.

chopper

Sep 15, 2012
    ar pistol

So would it be legal to build a pistol from a 80% lower without paperwork, as long as all home built laws were followed??

Andronitis

Jul 19, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    K, I have three Spike's lowers I got Xfered years ago. I'm ASSuming that since they were cash n' carry they wren't "registered". Am I still kosher to build a pistol with one of them. None of them have been "built" yet.

Were they sold as lowers only in MD? If so how long ago?

chopper

Sep 15, 2012
    I talked to a ffl yesterday and he said it was illegal to own a assult pistol? where can u find these laws??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom