• ...and so much more!
  • Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    You guys are making me want to sell it. Any buyers? lol

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Used they depreciate quickly.

Seriously though, take the time to meet up with a member of the forum that’s willing to look it over from top to bottom. I’ve bought inexpensive ones over the years that would have started malfunctioning after the first magazine.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    if it's your first, as others have said, just shoot it. Depending on how picky you are, you might find a change or two you might like, or like most, you can build your 2nd rifle how you want it.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    I might take you up on that. I went to Guntry once. Very nice place. The $50 for the rifle/shotgun lane was a bit high but probably worth the environment of feeling like you are at a country club for guns (Guntry). Also, not sure where else you can shoot up to 100 yards indoors.

Being a member, you as the guest , your price would be $15.00 for one hour.
    (plus supplying me with .556) just kidding.
    I would be more then glad to take you.

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I'd suggest posting this in an appropriate thread, but since I'm here...

Since it is considered a pistol it needs to be on the MD handgun roster. Assuming it is, you are totally fine and yes it is legal. If it is not, then you must go through the appropriate channels to get it reviewed and added to the roster.

If it’s a pistol, it’s legal. Both saint victor .556 and .300 black models are on the roster and good to go. The rifles are no go

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I REALLY want to love Hanover Armory, but as a few of the above posters have mentioned, they use a lot of low grade parts. I am 99% sure the barrel and BCG was a BCA. The barrel is unlined phosphate and the threads are confirmed non-concentric to the bore (ask me how I know...). The BCG is nitride and is actually OK. I threw a BCM bolt in the carrier for good measure and it runs in my wife's rifle now without issue.

Did your can get an extra large exit hole?

Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    Used they depreciate quickly.

Seriously though, take the time to meet up with a member of the forum that’s willing to look it over from top to bottom. I’ve bought inexpensive ones over the years that would have started malfunctioning after the first magazine.

Not 80%! lol

Upon further review and research, it seems like they used an Aero Precision BCG which I've read is good to go?

I guess the barrel would be the next concern area? I did pay for the upgraded barrel. I'm not sure what brand it is or if it is their own, but it is chrome-moly steel vs their standard stainless steel and "supposed" to last longer.

I couldn't tell you much about any of the other components, but they all seem solid. Disassembly was a breeze with the only tricky part being the cotter pin which when I called, they gave me advice on how to finesse it.. It worked.

I shot it last week and had no issues. I'm not close to being a "great" shooter, but my friend helped get the irons adjusted and my grouping was all fairly close together in the upper torso at 17 yards. lol. So I got the bad guy.

Question : If I were to want to upgrade the barrel, what would I need to do to make sure it fit, and also that it was "Heavy" / MD compliant?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Question : If I were to want to upgrade the barrel, what would I need to do to make sure it fit, and also that it was "Heavy" / MD compliant?

It will fit, barrels should be standard parts. It has to be designated by the manufacturer as a "heavy profile barrel" or marked "HBAR". The actual barrel profile doesn't matter.

sixace

Oct 7, 2020
    Hi all, new member (and new to firearms in general) here that wish he'd seen this thread prior to yesterday. I purchased an AR-15 from Hanover yesterday. I haven't taken possession as I request a custom build (nothing special, they just didn't have the grip/color/etc. combo that I wanted on the wall). So seeking advice of should I request any upgraded parts (although no options such as barrels, etc. were presented to me I assumed due to scarcity) or just cancel it outright? The context is that I wanted an AR-15 for home defense and neither complete rifles or parts to build seemed to be readily available so I went with Hanover.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hi all, new member (and new to firearms in general) here that wish he'd seen this thread prior to yesterday. I purchased an AR-15 from Hanover yesterday. I haven't taken possession as I request a custom build (nothing special, they just didn't have the grip/color/etc. combo that I wanted on the wall). So seeking advice of should I request any upgraded parts (although no options such as barrels, etc. were presented to me I assumed due to scarcity) or just cancel it outright? The context is that I wanted an AR-15 for home defense and neither complete rifles or parts to build seemed to be readily available so I went with Hanover.
    Make sure it's not an Anderson/BCA/PSA barrel.

On this topic, I've just sent Aero an email requesting them to market their SPR barrels as "heavy barrel-type profile" for us. We'll see if they bite.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

On this topic, I've just sent Aero an email requesting them to market their SPR barrels as "heavy barrel-type profile" for us. We'll see if they bite.

DC Machine makes PSA barrels (they are partner companies).

Some may disagree but I would be ok with a Nitride PSA barrel if it was a good deal. Any PSA cold hammer forged stuff will be from FN, which are absolute top tier barrels...so from PSA i say... it depends. Their unlined phosphate barrels are also from DC machine but I prefer to stay away from totally unlined barrels.

I would avoid BCA or Anderson. See if they can throw a Ballistic Advantage, Rosco or Faxon on it...all make maryland "hbars" although they have been mostly out of stock on the web.

Hanover Armory are good people, so I wouldn't go so far as to say for folks not to support them...they offer lifetime warranty on all of their rifles, FWIW.

The Aero BCG's are generally good to go. The one in your Hanover Armory build you can keep as a spare, which you should always have anyway.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just because it's from DC Machine or FN doesn't mean they built it to the same tolerances as all their other barrels. In fact, P&S had the guy from FN on their podcast and he confirmed just that.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Will do, thanks! Is there a type of barrel I DO want, or is it as long as it's one of those 3 I'm good?

Sixace -

4 general barrel "types". You will typically see them as either 4140CMV, 4150 CMV, or 410 or 416 stainless. I would avoid 4140 if you can but it's not the end of the world if you have one and it shoots ok.

4 most common barrel types -

- Unlined - typically button rifled and have a phosphate coating to prevent corrosion or rust. These are potentially OK barrels but won't stand up to heavy firing schedules and may be less reliable as they get dirty.

- Chrome lined - up through today this is the military standard. The barrel can be made either in a cold hammer forging or button rifled (pro's/cons to each and negligible differences for most folks). Chrome lining has excellent resistance to wear, especially under high heat, although are not typically known to be the most accurate (still more accurate than most people).

- Nitirde/Melonite/QPQ - all synonyms for the same process, Salt Bath Nitirde. Nitride is a surface coating which greatly increases the hardness of the metal. Like chrome, it greatly increases corrosion resistance and lubricity and therefore reliability over the long term. Unlike chrome, which adds material to the bore, Nitride actually changes the surface of the metal, so you can potentially have a more accurate barrels. Nitride has shown not to hold up as long as chrome during long periods of fully automatic fire, but as a civilian this is really not a factor. Nitride is also less expensive, so this makes it a great option for a serious use civilian rifle.

- Stainless Steel - you will usually see 410 or 416 stainless. Stainless steel barrels are typically not nitrided (although Faxon does it and others) and these are typically used in precision oriented rifles. No need to go stainless steel in my opinion unless you are shooting for the most accuracy possible and where heavy strings of fire may not be a regular occurrence.

All else being equal, these are some of the differences. The waters are deep, my friend, and I am by no means an expert.

Heat treatment, quality control, barrel profile, and many other factors can play into how a barrel performs.

TL;DR - I typically recommend a decent Nitride barrel for most folks and a good chrome lined if budget isn't as much of a factor.

The other thing about cheap barrels is the manufacturer typically over-gasses the p*ss out of them in order for them to be reliable to the end user who will likely use low quality ammo paired with a low quality product.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Just because it's from DC Machine or FN doesn't mean they built it to the same tolerances as all their other barrels. In fact, P&S had the guy from FN on their podcast and he confirmed just that.

My CHF 18 inch mid gas "heavy barrel" from PSA (FN) shoots extremely well. Purchased as a complete upper for under $400 pre covid, so figured I could toss the upper and handguard if I didn't like it. Stripped it fully and rebuilt it and have no issues and it's a solid MOA rifle as I intended. It was a bit over gassed but an h2 and sprinco blue fixed that. Upper and barrel fit was tight, not BCM upper tight though.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

I've already done this with Aero and BA (same company basically). Their response was "we know MD has this condition and that is why we make the BA 16 inch mid gas HBAR". The SPR profile is legitimately the same profile dimensions.

Perhaps you will have better luck than me. I even said all they would have to do was put something like "this is our SPR profile heavy barrel...et etc".

Yet they refused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom