• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    I know everyone's go to is Cerakote this and Cerakote that, but currently Cerakote wait times are 6-10 weeks and costs are several hundred dollars.

I've engaged on some other platforms where many people recommend spray paint, especially if doing a solid color. Krylon and Rustoleum seem to be the common go-to paint and primers for both Metal and Polymer parts.

Thoughts? Anyone done this? I'm really just trying to make the aftermarket handguard I bought, match the rest of the gun.

For several hundred dollars, I could repaint the gun 100 times. Is it worth it?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I know everyone's go to is Cerakote this and Cerakote that, but currently Cerakote wait times are 6-10 weeks and costs are several hundred dollars.

I've engaged on some other platforms where many people recommend spray paint, especially if doing a solid color. Krylon and Rustoleum seem to be the common go-to paint and primers for both Metal and Polymer parts.

Thoughts? Anyone done this? I'm really just trying to make the aftermarket handguard I bought, match the rest of the gun.

Knock yourself out. Works great.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I tried the Brownells shake and bake product several years back. I blasted it off because the tight clearances didn’t tolerate a coating type finish.

There is also GunKote.

Both of those products may work.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I used high temp engine enamel on hand guards and an m1a stock with good results just don't rush it...

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020

I only ever use spray paint like Krylon and such. Multiple coats and maybe a clear coat too. If it comes off, I just put it back on again.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Is it necessary to get a sandblaster?

What's the best for both polymer and aluminum?

Is this a high end gun you want to be pretty or are you going to use it? If you want a piece of art spend the money and get it done right or it doesn't sound like you are going to be satisfied with the results. I'm not making any judgement, I have some of those too. If it's a truck gun, tape off the optics glass, magwell and muzzle, hang it up with a wire hanger and give it a nice camo with Krylon.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Ive tried duracoat and allumahyde 2 recently.
    Duracoat works beautifully. Pictured below. I just tried the allumahyde 2 last week and it's not even close to duracoat. However it is a third the price.

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_095914_160.jpg
      IMG_20201102_095914_160.jpg
      76.8 KB · Views: 138
    • IMG_20201027_232908_642.jpg
      IMG_20201027_232908_642.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members