• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRock

Jan 1, 2021
    Sykesburg
    Just bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 and was looking for setup suggestions. Current plans are Vortex 6-24×50 scope and bipod (obviously) but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these and has thoughts to offer up!

Thanks!!

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Just bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 and was looking for setup suggestions. Current plans are Vortex 6-24×50 scope and bipod (obviously) but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these and has thoughts to offer up!

Thanks!!

I have a 6.5 CR RPR, and I have a Leupold VX3i LRP 6.5 -20, in Warne rings (actually, QD Rings, though looking back, there is obviously 0 reason to need to "QD" the scope, there are no irons at all to "QD" for, must have been all I had on hand at the time?

I did not care for the feel of the Ruger stock, so I first shortened and then installed a MagPul PRS Gen III stock, and added an Ergo pistol grip. I have a MagPul bipod, but feel that I should have sprung for an Atlas. A Timney trigger is next (and last).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Thanks!!
    I use that same setup, I like it very much. I swapped out the standard Ruger pistol grip for an Ergo “panther” style grip with palm shelf, an Atlas bipod (not shown in pic) and monopod. Assuming you’re using this for long range shooting, a word of caution for you that was imparted to me prior to my first long range class by the instructor: the 20” barrel and the .308 cartridge will hold you back slightly beyond 800 or so yards. The loss of velocity using the 20” barrel will ballistically affect you beyond 800 yards, to the point of increased bullet drop and windage drift (watching firsthand the difference between the trace of the 6.5 CM vs the .308 at those distances was certainly enlightening). Also, if the Vortex scope is a Gen 1 you’ll have the same problem I do, the elevation drum gets max’ed out by 1,000 yards. I’m good to 900 but to get to 1K I need to max turret plus hold over about 1-1/4 mils. I cannot verify this issue goes away with subsequent generations of Viper PST’s. Overall it’s a damn fun rifle to shoot, best of luck with yours. Almost forgot - don’t forget your bubble level for your scope!

Attachments

• A3965E34-6846-4A55-8ECA-19F8C99B1BB6.jpg
      A3965E34-6846-4A55-8ECA-19F8C99B1BB6.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 283

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    20moa rail is your friend. Took my 20” 308 R700 to 1080yds with my gen1 PST no issues.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I didn't like the factory stock and changed it. I also changed the handguard to a seekins (and barrel to a kreiger). Enjoy it they shoot well.

Attachments

• 20180719_151333.jpg
      20180719_151333.jpg
      113.9 KB · Views: 233
    Last edited:

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Upgraded my Gen 2 with a Magpul PRS Stock and have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Mil-Dot in Seekins High Rings. Only took her out to around 600 yards cross-mountain shots in WVa and it did all I ever asked it to.

Mvhr71Xl.jpg

Z6cmFqel.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Only things I added to my gen3 (MLOK):
    1. Sig Tango6 5-30x in an AR mount (ADM or LaRue, I forget)
    2. Ambi extended mag release of some sort
    3. Magpul bipod

I'm sure there's other stuff I could put on it, but that was more than enough to get me to 1200yds.

MRock

Jan 1, 2021
    Sykesburg
    I use that same setup, I like it very much. I swapped out the standard Ruger pistol grip for an Ergo “panther” style grip with palm shelf, an Atlas bipod (not shown in pic) and monopod. Assuming you’re using this for long range shooting, a word of caution for you that was imparted to me prior to my first long range class by the instructor: the 20” barrel and the .308 cartridge will hold you back slightly beyond 800 or so yards. The loss of velocity using the 20” barrel will ballistically affect you beyond 800 yards, to the point of increased bullet drop and windage drift (watching firsthand the difference between the trace of the 6.5 CM vs the .308 at those distances was certainly enlightening). Also, if the Vortex scope is a Gen 1 you’ll have the same problem I do, the elevation drum gets max’ed out by 1,000 yards. I’m good to 900 but to get to 1K I need to max turret plus hold over about 1-1/4 mils. I cannot verify this issue goes away with subsequent generations of Viper PST’s. Overall it’s a damn fun rifle to shoot, best of luck with yours. Almost forgot - don’t forget your bubble level for your scope!

How do you like that monopod?

MRock

Jan 1, 2021
    Sykesburg
    Thanks guys, looking forward to putting some time in once the scope arrives. I guess after I shoot a little I'll see what needs replaced.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Thanks!!

I have that exact setup. Gen 1 rifle in .308, Gen 1 Vortex viper pst 6-24x50, Harris bipod.
    Omega 300 suppressor
    I switched the stock for a Magpul PRS stock and changed the scope rail to a 30MOA version to get enough elevation adjustment on the scope. I have it zeroed at 100 yards and can dial out to at least 1150 yards.

ece0628445a999ab00cc1ea57cf586ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    How do you like that monopod?
    I don’t really. When I first bought it, I saw them on most long range rifles and thought it was a necessary accessory. After shooting long range for a while I noticed nobody was using them, and my LR instructor said he hated them and recommended I remove it. I use a rear bag always now, and never really used the monopod for any real shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom