• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    For me it fills a vital role as a travel gun where I'm not legal to carry a handgun. There really isn't anything else that allows me to have an unloaded rifle that can be reasonably deployed from a laptop bag. I don't think about roadside shootout but what do I have for when I stop for the night. I transport mine with 10rnd mags and Hornady Critical Defense for when I'm forced to go to/through NJ. While it would no doubt be a nightmare if I ever get caught with it, I can at least say that I made a reasonable effort to comply with stupid laws.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My biggest complaint about the Sub-2k is that mounting a red dot on it sacrifices the folding, and which makes it kind of pointless. Yes, there are ugly hacks to get around that, but I can't say I've ever loved any of them.

Now, I DO think Kel-Tec has a much more compelling rifle in the form of the SUB-CQB. The suppressor adds some utility as a personal defense rifle, and the ability for the handguard to rotate makes using red dots much more realistic. Only downside is no side rails for a light, but you can use a top-mounted offset in a pinch.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    My biggest complaint about the Sub-2k is that mounting a red dot on it sacrifices the folding, and which makes it kind of pointless. Yes, there are ugly hacks to get around that, but I can't say I've ever loved any of them.

I've never used a red dot, and rarely have used a scope, so almost all my time is on iron sights. Is it really that much of a game changer?

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I've never used a red dot, and rarely have used a scope, so almost all my time is on iron sights. Is it really that much of a game changer?

Aye, Good point.
    Better than pistol at 25yards with standard sights. Whats the beef?

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019

Now, I DO think Kel-Tec has a much more compelling rifle in the form of the SUB-CQB. The suppressor adds some utility as a personal defense rifle, and the ability for the handguard to rotate makes using red dots much more realistic. Only downside is no side rails for a light, but you can use a top-mounted offset in a pinch.

MCARBO has solved that problem.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    MCARBO has solved that problem.

MCARBO optic mount is $150, and then you got a fragile bulky optic protruding out the side when it`s folded up. I debated whether or not to get it, and I figured if the folding feature is what sold the gun, I'd like to throw it in a bag that may be handled roughly. So, personally I'm sticking with irons.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I agree about not being able to mount a red dot on the Kel Tec. I own one in .40, and it is a neat little carbine, but it would be much improved with a red dot. I solved that problem with a CZ Scorpion pistol and put a vortex 1x circle dot scope on it. It is as short as the Kel Tec folded, and takes a scope. I consider the Kel Tec to be a fun novelty, and the CZ the “must have”.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    45 degree offset mount and red dot on my sub 2k and i can still fold it without having to remove, rotate, or flip my red dot.
    And with it still being a rifle and not a pistol, i can run it as a "truck gun" without a concealed carry permit.
    And if someone breaks into my truck to steal it, I am only out the $399 i paid for it.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    We put a white light / laser combo on the picatinny under rail so still folds. Not a red dot but, the wife digs her lasers ... (the whole hotel / overnight thing is also a big check mark for us as to why we own two, now ...)

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    My Keltec Sub2000 came with a Red Lion Precision fore end. Unfold the gun, spin the optic 180 degrees and lock the knurled retainer. I never bothered to install it. It does appear to be very well made solution for someone that wants a red dot or optic.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Thank you for reminding me; I also have a Red Lion Rotate-and-Lock quad rail but, never had a torque driver in order to fasten it according to their specs and it never stayed precisely still. That was some years ago and I now have a Wheeler FAT Wrench at my bench so, guess what I’ll be doing tomorrow! (Of course, as incredibly well machined as they are, the quad rails DO ADD some weight but, with a Gen I .40 and Gen II 9mm I really don’t have any excuse for not dropping it on the .40!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu37t25lJU8

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    A buddy and I each bought a Gen 2 at the Chantilly show a while back. Within the first 50 rounds each of ours randomly broke in half. We sent them back to Kel-Tec and they repaired them good as new with no questions asked. Fast forward to a few weeks ago my buddy and I were up at the range in Buckeystown and he had an OOB discharge that blew the left side of the rifle into his face. The ammo was commercial 115 grain 9mm target so nothing special there. He's sending his back and Kel-Tec is giving him his money back. Me, I put mine on a shelf in the vault and have lost confidence in it. We both did just purchase the Ruger PC9 and believe that may be a safer route.

I'm not bashing Kel-Tec as they have been very helpful and supportive. However this is just our experience and when searching the web there seems to be quite of few OOB discharges with similar results.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I did hear that some of the tinted rifles had a problem. Something about the tinting changing the strength of the plastic. I think it was the feed ramp causing the issues. For some reason keltec decided not to issue a recall. I haven't heard of any of the black ones having trouble; but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as I'm not exactly an insider.

I sure hope mine doesn't blow up in my face. That would be a bad day.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    I did hear that some of the tinted rifles had a problem. Something about the tinting changing the strength of the plastic. I think it was the feed ramp causing the issues. For some reason keltec decided not to issue a recall. I haven't heard of any of the black ones having trouble; but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as I'm not exactly an insider.

I sure hope mine doesn't blow up in my face. That would be a bad day.

Yes ours our both light earth colored. The only reason his eyes are OK is that he was wearing safety glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom