• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I understand that more then some owning a business all my adult life .

But the reality "some" of these gun stores are fat & happy . While some get it and want to expand the playing field like one member has stated .

Being lazy , uninformed and you pick & choose you will never grow the clientele.

Just like Bass Pro , since they made me wait and other store policies i won't buy guns from them and that was from Era 2013 . I do buy other things but won't go full retail with them .

Cabelas C&R's used to be cash n carry w/ 03 FFL. Enter Bass Pro and now no more cash n carry; store policy. F them I shop elsewhere now.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Cabelas C&R's used to be cash n carry w/ 03 FFL. Enter Bass Pro and now no more cash n carry; store policy. F them I shop elsewhere now.

The store has somewhat changed course on this they will sell to me in house , but place a caveat that they won't or can not be responsible for the wait time on the PICS call .
    They are happy to explore that . The sales guy claims he had no knowledge about Mag Capacity of the various types :rolleyes:
    I told him the difference from detachable and attached mag tubes :sad20:He tells me he sells more guns to New York'ers then to Maryland'ers

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd wager about 90% of local gun stores only exist because you can't just buy a gun online and have it delivered to your door. They are creations of regulations, not of market need, and they'd go out of business from online competition, just like Amazon destroyed all the local book stores. I'm not unsympathetic to local gun stores, and do try to support them, but I'm not deluded about the real reason I patronize them - which is that I have to, legally.

Are they our friends? I'd say our interests mostly coincide, which is enough for me. I feel the same way about manufacturers - they're trying to keep being able to sell guns to me, which is great, but I don't appreciate efforts to keep the Chinese ammo import and gun ban going, either.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    If they don't do right by me m they can stick their products up their ass .

And you do realize i used the term friends loosely as a 2A term . It was not a literal term . A "friend" would help you move

Fine and that's good however they're there to make a profit, they don't need to kiss YOUR ass just offer a fair service that's good for both.

I try and deal locally when I can. If the price is near enough to Walmart they get my business. Are they my "friend" because they didn't invite me over for Christmas? Well some things are beyond my expectations. Your mileage may differ.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Fine and that's good however they're there to make a profit, they don't need to kiss YOUR ass just offer a fair service that's good for both.

I try and deal locally when I can. If the price is near enough to Walmart they get my business. Are they my "friend" because they didn't invite me over for Christmas? Well some things are beyond my expectations. Your mileage may differ.

Nobody needs an ass kissing , i just want facts when i am buying or trying to buy . The information the store provided is stated in a way that has gray areas .

The store has since changed course on how they will sell to a Marylander , i will also point out i did not win the auction yet . But after thinking about it if i win i want to honor my commitment even if i have to use an FFL here in Maryland .
    I signed up to bid and my word is important to me and i will eat some crow just because . Not the first time and won't be the last . I will man up .

Also it don't hurt that i like the rifle :innocent0

Leftist

Jan 5, 2021
    Has anyone noticed that some gun stores are expanding already tight laws on Maryland residents ?

Back i believe in 2013 we had waiting periods of 30 days or more and guns stores had no legal reason to follow that crazy unlawful act . We found out good dealers did not play that game .

Now i try to bid on a rifle at GB and the dealer in PA says i would not be able to pick it up in person because of Md. laws . I can buy rifles in PA with proper paperwork .

Why do gun stores continue to make shit up . Why do they expand things and create Gun Store Laws ?? I say i don't really need anymore guns . I won't add to my collection . F them worthless stores IMHO and we need to out the worthless stores as well .

Sorry for the rant :mad54:

It should be understood that the success of gun stores is tied exclusively to demand. So as consumer demand increases, so does the proprietors unwillingness to go too far out of their way to make a sale. Basically, they don't need to worry about MD laws in PA to make the sale, because they can easily sell to a PA resident with less hassle.

tjaw

Nov 14, 2014
    Monkton, MD.
    I like your quote...

In my opinion, a gun shop is nothing but a specialized retail establishment. They exist to make a profit. The owners have decided that the potential profit of selling to MD residents isn't worth the potential headaches of selling to MD residents.

Right now it's 100% a seller's market. He can sell that product easily and doesn't need to take any extra "risk" to do so. If the market was different, maybe it would be worth it to him to take the gamble and maybe he'll regret it one day. For now, they don't need your business.

Sucks, but I'd imagine that's how they see it.

I like your quote. That said, here in the FreeState, weather drives fashion to a good degree. I am an Old School wheel gun guy (reliability of bang, no clearing of jams). Right now, I can easily carry my lil' Ruger 5 shot revolver w/o raising a Gun! Gun!! cry from the crowd. In the summer, not so much, so switch to tiny 9's.

I strongly agree with your suggestion of carefully choosing gun stores that get your bidness. I have run into shops where workers are rude to customers. Well, that was a first and last visit to those establishments.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Can you imagine there being no posted stop or speed limit signs and every single traveller had to research and know what signs/limits where in each and every intersection and section of road? again all intentionally done to discourage firearms and protection.

Family members in the desert southwest have indicated they avoid driving through indian reservations for precisely this reason.

Erock

Oct 18, 2020
    Who was the store bro? We will boycott! I just bought one from Sportsman Supply, shipped quick to MD.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Who was the store bro? We will boycott! I just bought one from Sportsman Supply, shipped quick to MD.

If i win the gun i will be happy to live up to my responsibility by signing up to bid .
    The store and i have talked and i think we are in a better place . It certainly helps i like the gun as it will bring back to some great memories a gun i had as a kid .

I have located the one i had as a kid and hopefully i can buy the exact gun , believe it or not it is still here in Maryland :thumbsup:

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    When I moved to MD in 2007, I started looking for someplace to shoot on public lands. It took me a couple of years to figure out that you cannot legally shoot a tin can with a .22 on public lands. You have to be in a range, none of them are free, and all require you to use paper targets. I have no doubt that all the owners of indoor ranges lobby to require you to shoot in their venues and to prevent people from buying guns out of state. So glad I left that corrupt fascist state.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I didn't wade through the entire thread. I do have some experience with some of the things listed at the top of the thread. During the FSA2013 panic, I decided I wanted to get a polymer pistol before having to submit to the HQL, (which later became a non-issue when I re-enlisted in the MD National Guard after a 10 year hiatus) and the store wouldn't release the pistol to me after 7 days - they insisted on holding it until they got the go-ahead from the MSP.

I think that our local gun stores are between a rock and a hard place. Look at it from their perspective - they want to be there for their customers, but at the same time they have to go the extra mile to not run afoul of some weird little technicality in the Maryland code regarding firearms and the sale of firearms.

The missus and I have plans to flee Maryland as soon as we can - she's eligible to retire this year, and I'll be vested in the pension plan where I work in another 4 years, on top of being able to finally retire from military service in a bit less than 2 years. We have simple goals:

1. Move to a place that is friendly to retirees financially
    2. Move to a place with less people and a lower cost of living
    3. Move to a place where I can fully reengage in my shooting hobby and passion
    4. Be within an easy day's drive from Maryland to be able to see family if necessary - that's more for her than me. I've lived 1500 miles from where I grew up for the last 30 years, so I'll literally move anywhere in the lower 48 that meets the first 3 criteria.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The "Hunting,but not target shooting " thing dates back to when few if any commercial indoor ranges . Rounds off to Always been that way .

The " Not Buying Out of State " thing dates back to 1968 , when it was All firearms ( notwithstanding cumbersome adjacent state mutual opt in procedures for longguns).

There was at least moderate support from the industry in 1986 for liberalization to current status.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Honestly, no for a lot of them.

A good fraction would sell us down the river, if it meant getting all that sweet sweet "fee" action to act as a FFL dealer for UBCs.

I called the store where the gun is (FFL Store) talked to the guy that runs the GB sales , he was a decent enough guy on the phone . He says the PA system of background checks is different all inquiries go thru PA State Police and not the Feds.
    He said it could take hours and sometimes days to get approved because the system is so busy ??? I would believe the system is busy with new buyers . But days ??? You could become dis-qualified in that many days or even if it is 6 hours .

What is the real deal for you PA buyers can you shed some light on that for me

This is the easiest way to explain it...
    Two years ago, if you got a delay on a NICS check for a long gun, it was odd. Currently, a solid 80% of the NICS checks I run come back with a delay. Often they are delayed for a few hours; sometimes several days. This is simply because soooo many people are buying guns now.
    MD has a 7 day wait on all in house background checks (regulated firearms); PA doesn't. In PA, you choose a firearm- rifle, shotgun, pistol, stripped lower, etc and you get a PICS instant background check and walk out with the firearm 10 minutes later.... Well, you used to. Now, the PICS system is overwhelmed in PA. I would bet money they're dealing with tons of angry customers that have to wait until the next day to get their Glock.
    Now, in comes Welder516 who drove the whole way from Maryland just to pick up his rifle. How mad is he gonna be when we tell him he has to come back tomorrow or the day after? Their, in state, customers aren't used to dealing with the BS hoops we deal with on every regulated purchase.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    This is the easiest way to explain it...
    Two years ago, if you got a delay on a NICS check for a long gun, it was odd. Currently, a solid 80% of the NICS checks I run come back with a delay. Often they are delayed for a few hours; sometimes several days. This is simply because soooo many people are buying guns now.
    MD has a 7 day wait on all in house background checks (regulated firearms); PA doesn't. In PA, you choose a firearm- rifle, shotgun, pistol, stripped lower, etc and you get a PICS instant background check and walk out with the firearm 10 minutes later.... Well, you used to. Now, the PICS system is overwhelmed in PA. I would bet money they're dealing with tons of angry customers that have to wait until the next day to get their Glock.
    Now, in comes Welder516 who drove the whole way from Maryland just to pick up his rifle. How mad is he gonna be when we tell him he has to come back tomorrow or the day after? Their, in state, customers aren't used to dealing with the BS hoops we deal with on every regulated purchase.

Yep agreed , That is why i softened my stance a bit . If i win the bid i will honor my responsibility as i signed up for .

More then likely i will have the gun shipped to a local FFL and then take possession of it here .
    Should not be that way but it is . Still not happy about everything , and i still feel like they would sell us down the river for a buck as another member points out .
    I doubt i will ever bid on anther gun , but never say never

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom