• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    I'm wondering if the Magpul SGA stock is worth the price tag or overrated.

I'm also looking for one in fde if anyone has one they're willing to part with. Thanks

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I'm wondering if the Magpul SGA stock is worth the price tag or overrated.

I'm also looking for one in fde if anyone has one they're willing to part with. Thanks

I run one on my Stoeger M3k for 3Gun and it's completely changed that gun for me. I was struggling with comb height as well as being able to shoot it from weak hand and it's been great for that.

I used to use it on my mossberg 500 which made that gun a lot more handy as well but I ended up moving it to the M3k.

"Worth it" is a hard thing to quantify, really will depend on it's use for you.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    It’s nice but significantly overpriced IMHO. I have one on an 870 and a 590. I like the speedfeed stocks with the shell holders much better.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Appreciate the first hand experiences. With that being said, what other good options are people going with? Not a whole lot still available as far as shotgun stocks go

I have a turkish made 12ga with a pistol grip. I'd like to swap it out with a FDE SGA or something similar

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    Appreciate the first hand experiences. With that being said, what other good options are people going with? Not a whole lot still available as far as shotgun stocks go

I have a turkish made 12ga with a pistol grip. I'd like to swap it out with a FDE SGA or something similar

I originally had the Magpul on my 870 and swapped it out for a Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock and didn’t care for the ergonomics and have since returned to the Magpul.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Best shotgun stock out there, IMHO. I've put it on a $225 shotgun, no regrets whatsoever. It really does improve the experience a ton.

I run one on my Stoeger M3k for 3Gun and it's completely changed that gun for me. I was struggling with comb height as well as being able to shoot it from weak hand and it's been great for that.
    See, this is interesting to me, because I had read mixed reviews online about it on the M3K. I don't love the M3K's stock, but most of my accuracy problems were solved once I got MOA Precision's rear slug sight on there. If you like the SGA on it, I may consider giving it a go.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I installed one on my Mossberg 590-A1. The original stock had a LOP that was a little too long for me. With the spacers on the Magpul stock, I fixed that issue and it's much more pleasant for me to shoot.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I installed one on my Mossberg 590-A1. The original stock had a LOP that was a little too long for me. With the spacers on the Magpul stock, I fixed that issue and it's much more pleasant for me to shoot.
    This pretty much sums up the value proposition. It's a stock with a much more manageable (but configurable) LOP, it gives you a couple of modern sling attachment points, the recoil pad is generous, and it has a mechanism for cheek height configuration if you want to mount an optic. Yes, it's not cheap, but it's also the last shotgun stock you'll need to buy for an 870 or a Mossberg.

They do go on sale from time to time... just gotta keep your eyes open. But even at $105, I think they really are worth it. How much of the time is a good stock helpful while shooting a shotgun... answer, all the time.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    That seems to be the general consensus, appreciate the input. My only issue now is finding one!

If finding Magpul is gonna take a long time, I might as well just spring for a Boyd's huh? Or is that pricetag even less justified?

This pretty much sums up the value proposition. It's a stock with a much more manageable (but configurable) LOP, it gives you a couple of modern sling attachment points, the recoil pad is generous, and it has a mechanism for cheek height configuration if you want to mount an optic. Yes, it's not cheap, but it's also the last shotgun stock you'll need to buy for an 870 or a Mossberg.

They do go on sale from time to time... just gotta keep your eyes open. But even at $105, I think they really are worth it. How much of the time is a good stock helpful while shooting a shotgun... answer, all the time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Have you handled one first? I saved up my pennies to buy one, and was sooo excited to put it on my shotgun. :party29: It was so uncomfortable (if I remember correctly, the pistol grip was too small), that I had the wood stock back on in less than an hour :sad20:

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Best shotgun stock out there, IMHO. I've put it on a $225 shotgun, no regrets whatsoever. It really does improve the experience a ton.

See, this is interesting to me, because I had read mixed reviews online about it on the M3K. I don't love the M3K's stock, but most of my accuracy problems were solved once I got MOA Precision's rear slug sight on there. If you like the SGA on it, I may consider giving it a go.

You are always welcome to give it a run any time up there. I didn’t have much issues with accuracy with the stock M3K stock it was more the ability to get it up into position, get the sight picture and go consistently. With the stock stock it was okay, but I couldn’t get it consistent and I was regularly trying to get my cheekweld just right. I’ve found the magpul to speed me up as well as the ability to switch hands now comfortably.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Yup, I put a few rounds through it today for the first time. I'm not a fan of either of the factory stocks. I put in an order for a SGA a few hours ago, now the wait begins

Have you handled one first? I saved up my pennies to buy one, and was sooo excited to put it on my shotgun. :party29: It was so uncomfortable (if I remember correctly, the pistol grip was too small), that I had the wood stock back on in less than an hour :sad20:

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    I found a used one cheap and threw it in a cheap 500. Made it a great handling gun.

While it is not crazy expensive I AM a cheap ass so I scour classifieds waiting on a deal for my 870.

If you have a wood stock they can get $30-40 on the used market to offset the Magpul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom