• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    While true for centerfire calibers and historically lower-priced bulk rimfire, I've noticed that better quality/match rimfire ammo pricing seems to have remained the same for now :)

Example, on the CMP Eley https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22ELYSTD-5000 the price has not changed, free shipping (need to have the green signed Appleseed paperwork though) works out to 7cpr in bulk.

Otherwise Ammoseek.com shows rimfire SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Target still around 10-12cpr same as before the run on ammo! Stock up! :D

If you need the CMP form signed, PM me and I can do that based on the January event.

And great point on the match stuff. SK Standard Plus is my go to ammo for 200 yards. And I am sure you could find folks to split a case or two of the CMP Eley.

I was luck enough to get plenty of cheap standard rimfire for loaners if needed. Appleseed MD will survive the drought.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    If you need the CMP form signed, PM me and I can do that based on the January event.
    Very cool! :thumbsup: I have a signed one from an earlier Appleseed event but great that you can facilitate that remotely. I mainly meant that comment for someone looking at the CMP store from this thread that may be unaware of the requirement.

Splitting a case of CMP 22LR would definitely work. They come in ten 500rd boxes so it's easy to split.

Good to know that AS MD is well stocked for the drought! :D

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Very cool! :thumbsup: I have a signed one from an earlier Appleseed event but great that you can facilitate that remotely. I mainly meant that comment for someone looking at the CMP store from this thread that may be unaware of the requirement.

Splitting a case of CMP 22LR would definitely work. They come in ten 500rd boxes so it's easy to split.

I would be interested

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County

I would also be in for splitting up a case!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I actually previously split a case w/someone that I haven't broken into yet so I'm good for now (famous last words? :P), the rest of you all enjoy!

Gotcha. Well if other people are interested, let me know. RWVA membership counts as the club affiliation required for ordering.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    April Events Cancelled

We are living thru truly historic times...As posted to our MD Appleseed Facebook page, we have had to cancel all of our April Appleseed events in Maryland to comply with the various Stop The Spread mandates.

If you were enrolled for an April event, please check your email for details regarding your options.

While we like to state that our mission is "Saving America, One Rifleman At A Time" we now ALL have a role to play in helping Save American Lives! Do your part and we'll see you back on the firing line before you know it.

As we posted earlier, still a good time to practice and dry fire to build skills, speed, and proficiency. We're, of course, here to answer any questions people have. We'll also try to post some informative pieces on shooting at Appleseed events, such as preparing for a long range rimfire shoot.

And when we are back in action, we can't wait to see you on the line!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Project Appleseed Update

I know it has been a disappointing year, after a strong start, but we are planning to restart in July. Ranges are opening back up but they are sensitive to their members getting much needed time on the line. We area also having to comply with social distancing mandates from the clubs and the State, so our course sizes are going to be constrained and there are a few thing we will have to work around.

When we do get back into action, it will be with some great new events. We have a new "official" KD rimfire course of fire and targets in both 200 and 100 yard variants. We will have a lot of pent up demand, so sign up early and often. And if you haven't been dry firing and doing position practice, now is a good time to re-start.

I shot my first AQT since this whole thing started yesterday in the perfect MD weather. I decided that a Quiet Appleseed Qualification Target (QAQT) would be fun. So got out my bolt action CZ 455 with Tech Sights, mounted a Silencerco Warlock II, and after 5 sighters to confirm zero, went to work. Scored a 228, which is the best I have done with that rifle on an AQT. Dry fire practice works!

Hope to see you on the line soon!

Attachments

• 228 - med.jpg
      228 - med.jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 237
    • CZ QAQT - med.jpg
      CZ QAQT - med.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 237

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    If you are looking for an Appleseed fix without (for some of you) a long drive, we are restarting our events in Kearneysville, WV and have a 2-day rimfire event scheduled on June 27-28 that still has spots available. And former MD stalwarts Cold Warrior and his wife Aninha will be the shoot boss and instructors. Heck, I am thinking of signing up as a student because I miss shooting so much!

Appreciate everyone's patience with the program - we are trying to do right by our students, volunteer instructors, and supportive host ranges. We are excited to get back to our mission of saving America one Rifleman at a time as soon as possible. Many of you know our stance on not getting into current politics, but let's just say that whatever your perspective, it needs saving more than ever!

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Good info.. just did another Appleseed last weekend in PA. Was awesome! All of the MD shoots are sold out until Aug or Sept. will you guys be adding any?

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    We would like to add more but need to see if the ranges will support it. They are re-opening for their members and those paying members are obviously a priority. But we have raised it.

Glad you went to an event in PA. The Virginia crew is also getting up and running.

We really appreciate everyone's patience.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I've been itching to go to another one (my 4th). I'm rusty, I didn't get to the range at all last year. Definitely interested in one at AGC if you can get a new slot, or in Annapolis. The Annapolis range was better (no colds every 1/2 hour) but it's a longer drive for us Balti-morons.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Well, there is another way to look at it - those AGC "colds" as a great way to keep the pace quicker on AQTs! We also restarted at Berwyn in Bowie, which might be a good option for Baltimore. Unfortunately, both had all their shoots cancelled till September...but there are still spots open then.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Looks like some spots have opened up for our next shoot in Annapolis in July. It had previously been sold out so we must have had some students move to another event.

We did our first post-COVID shoot in West Virginia this past weekend. It was toasty but so great to have shooters back on the line - will link to an After Action Report soon. And post in the Rimfire section an extended review of doing most of the event with a tech-sights CZ bolt action.

Presumptuous

Awesome Member
    Aug 17, 2016
    Suburbia
    I shot my first AQT since this whole thing started yesterday in the perfect MD weather. I decided that a Quiet Appleseed Qualification Target (QAQT) would be fun. So got out my bolt action CZ 455 with Tech Sights, mounted a Silencerco Warlock II, and after 5 sighters to confirm zero, went to work. Scored a 228, which is the best I have done with that rifle on an AQT. Dry fire practice works!

Awesome! Another 455 rifleman! Man, those CZ bolts run SO SMOOTH.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    AAR - Annapolis AAFG - July 19, 2020

What a HOT re-start to Maryland Appleseed, with our first clinic since early March!

We had 7 dedicated shooters on the line, 5 of whom were beginners, who persevered through 95+ degree heat. Luckily the wonderful rimfire range at AAFG in Annapolis is covered and we were able to put up several canopies. But with county and range rules for mandatory masks, it was a scorcher!

We, of course, started with the Red Coat target and got a good baseline for our students. Then we launched into the firehose of instruction and practice with the squares targets.

One of our "beginners" Rachel P was putting on a clinic with her very nice 10/22. While she may have been new to Appleseed, her 2MOA-ish groups on the squares would have made a lot of instructors look bad. Brian B, who was a prior Rifleman but took off a few years on the Appleseed trail to raise a family, also found his zero with his custom 22LR AR. Jas K told us he had not shot a rifle since serving in the Indian Army, but his groups on the squares showed that he knew what he was about. Father-son duo David and Nicolas A also started finding their groove as they got used the prone position, proper sling tension, and proper eye-relief. Jocelyn S required a lot of sighting adjustments on her stock 10/22 but persevered and was able to get some groups. Finally, very experienced shooter Ron S found the prone position problematic physically and ended up doing all the prone stages kneeling - and was still turning in good results!

We switched over to the Green targets, and after lunch and a very engaged group for the telling of the Three Strikes, practicing seated and standing positions, as well as magazine changes.

It was then time for the AQT. The AQT certainly introduced some new challenges as tiredness and heat added to the crush of new concepts. And, as everyone knows, a few mental mistakes (miscounting/losing track of progress, rushing under time pressure, and muscling the rifle rather than changing NPOA) can be deadly in terms of scores.

However, we did have TWO folks make Rifleman: Brian B came out after several years of Appleseed retirement to re-qualify with a solid 213 using a red dot! And "beginner" Rachel P backed up her strong squares and green practice targets with a first time Rifleman score of 216 for the high score of the weekend. HUZZAH!

Due to the heat and general shooter exhaustion, we then wrapped up with the final Redcoat of the day. Stealing a trick from fellow Shoot Boss Cold Warrior, I offered a patch to any shooter that hit Morgan's shingle on their first shot. Several shooters accepted the challenge, but only Brian B was able to make the shot and earned a vintage RWVA oval patch with Isaac Davis prominently featured. I twill go perfectly with his Rifleman patch.

Thanks to Virginia border raider BillP_556 for calling the line in the morning and leading critical components of the instruction. Also thanks to our tireless leader BeSwift who attended his millionth shoot and provided sage advice to the shooters (and instructors). Thank you to AAFG for being wonderful hosts. It was great to have two members (BeSwift and Ron) there to represent the club.

I hope all of our students remember the 7th Step to firing a shot and bring a friend, family member, or coworker. I also hope that all of our beginners find opportunities for dry fire practice of everything we learned. The Appleseed booklets we handed out have all of the instruction from the day summarized. The skills of a Rifleman are honed not just at the range, but safely and quietly in basements, family rooms, and garages around the country. And, of course, we definitely want you to come back to a future Appleseed. One-day courses are a great introduction but it nearly always takes multiple classes and sometimes a two day course to break through and have that "ah ha!" moment with NPOA in the various positions. A Rifleman Persists!

Pictures are available on our Maryland Appleseed Facebook page. We may post additional photos on the Appleseed Forum AAR as well.

109943536_3141342165953525_3266796069433830187_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom