Who makes a nice American made milspec 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Like the title says, who makes a decent American made milspec 1911?

I have 1911s that have factory "upgrades" or "features" and they are accurate and reliable. I just can't warm up to them, to me nothing has the feel of an authentic 1911 in milspec, plain jane form.

I see Auto Ordinance has some, Springfield's Milspecs. Am I missing some? Opinions welcome. Not trying to do a $3000 Nighthawk and would like to try to stick to Made in America, if possible.

So please enlighten me with feedback, experiences, advice, etc.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Are you looking specifically for a mil spec 1911, as in a 1911A1, park'd finish, no frills, no beaver tail backstrap, no ambidextrous safety, straight up 1911?

From what I've seen - and this was something I was really interested in at one point - my choice would have been the Springfield.

That said, I'm currently a big fan of the Dan Wesson 1911s - I currently have a spectacular very lightly used Silverback, and I'm in the process of obtaining a Valor. Both are sweet pistols, but neither one is mil-spec.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    There also the CMP 1911 Sales though limited supply and exaggerated demand ranks them up there with Unicorn tears, Conservative Democrats and peaceful Antifa protestors.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Colt still offers 1911s of the mil spec variety, IIRC. I believe that they are still manufactured in Hartford, CT.

How did I forget Colt?

Why not buy a genuine 1911 or 1911A1? They're certainly available at a number of price points.

I have one that my wife's grandfather was issued when he served in the Army Air Corps. Really good shape internally, REALLY rough external finish. I dont think he ever fooled with it upon coming home. Years ago before he passed, he gave it to me with along with 6 rounds and one fired case. Maybe I should contact John Carduner and have him go over it???

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Heard about them but never held or shot one of their pistols or M1 Carbines

https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Handguns/1911-A1-Government.html

I handled one a couple years ago. I don’t recall a couple particulars but it is a copy of the 1911A1. It was nice but for more cost a good authentic mixmaster arsenal built pistol would have been a better buy.

I prefer something along the lines Springer Mil-Spec with useful improvements to it. The Mil-Soec is alot of gun for the money.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I have a Safari Arms(Olympic Arms) GI 45 that a love. Mil-Spec but modified with Beavertail, Commander Hammer, Adj Trigger, NM Bushing, Taller spec sites.

About 25 yo now.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I always liked the Springfield - they seem to do a 1911 better than Colt does these days.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the standard Mil Spec, and the legacy Mil Spec is other than the grips - they look to be pretty much the same pistol other than the grips, some slide stamping, and about $220 difference in MSRP

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-mil-spec-handguns/

Yeah, they do look pretty much the same except the grips. I can't believe that alone would make that much of a price difference. I'll have to dig a bit more. $549 MSRP is a heck of a price for what it seems like you get.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you plan to actually shoot it , milspec- ish with somewhat taller sights is better than cork sniffer historically correct .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Ditto that ^^^ Sights were always one of the first changes I made to any mil spec slide which wasn’t collectible.

The SA Mil-Spec I am going over now is a really nice pistol. The slide frame fit is good and the barrel fit is real good...almost match fit. The MIM internal parts have their mim character but are dressing up well. This should be a very nice basic pistol with some refining TLC and minimal enhancement. The initial 200 rounds the pistol ran flawlessly with good accuracy.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Kimber was a very good gun in their infancy. They got a bad rap from the QC with some of their MIM parts. That was the beginning of the raging MIM vs machined forged or barstock steel parts debate. Kimber rectified the issues but stigmas hang on a name. They also tend to develop barrel bump. Overall, they are a nice gun. Some issue I had with them is they were over priced for awhile. They are more reasonably priced now in respective market tiers.

I had a Series One Gold Match and had no complaints with it, it was a fine gun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Why is there a lot of hate on Kimber these days? At least it seems.
    There is a lot of Kimber hate because their QC went out the door 15-20 years ago and has apparently never returned. The MIM parts are a total non-issue. They are good at making sexy-looking guns that don't work all that reliably. It turns out that model is quite profitable.

Now, for a substantial portion of the 1911 market, that is perfectly fine. A lot of 1911 guys spend much more time looking at their guns than shooting them. But for people who use their guns hard at classes or in competitions, it's not so fine. The sad truth is, you may very well be better off buying a cheaper foreign-made 1911 and then paying a 1911 smith to go work it over.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Kimber was a very good gun in their infancy. They got a bad rap from the QC with some of their MIM parts. That was the beginning of the raging MIM vs machined forged or barstock steel parts debate. Kimber rectified the issues but stigmas hang on a name. They also tend to develop barrel bump. Overall, they are a nice gun. Some issue I had with them is they were over priced for awhile. They are more reasonably priced now in respective market tiers.

I had a Series One Gold Match and had no complaints with it, it was a fine gun.

They also had/still have reliability issues with the Schwartz safety.

Oh, and +1 for Colt.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    They also had/still have reliability issues with the Schwartz safety.

Oh, and +1 for Colt.

Yeah, Schwartz safety debacle. Most of what I read seems to point to thumb over safety hold not fully depressing the gs. Can’t blame Kimber...but they have known it was a popular hold. If they knew that hold is being used then shallow depression disengagement would have made sense.

Not a Colt fan... I see you are. That’s cool. I have two Colts - a 1918 warhorse and a utiltarian Colt frame build...which ended up with a Colt slide after a billion years. It is only recently I’ve given them much of a look. They are producing product that is provoking interest. You can get more for less with other makes. Their fit hasn’t adapted to the technology - at least over entire line of product. And since the Gold Cup nothing of modern configuration has been their innovation. I admit much of my evaluation is attitude toward product. Check my by-line on the 1911 forum. That will explain it. That said I do like many of their parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom