• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pigeon11

Dec 19, 2015
    Annapolis
    Anybody have a CZ 527 (or shot one) chambered in 7.62x39? What do you like/dislike? I want something with more oomph than my .22, still cheap (ish) to shoot around for fun and more power for the possibility of taking down bigger game in a survival type situation. What kind of range could I expect?

I just don't vibe with the AR/AK style platforms but I want something fun and affordable to shoot but practical as well. Any recommendations in 556/223 or 762x39 that fit that sort of bill, I'm open to. Not opposed to adding glass but definitely want the option of iron sights

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The CZ 527 carbine in either of these calibers are fine, fun, well made guns. The older .223 models had a 1:12 twist. The newer ones are 1:9 IIRC, which is what you want. Great handy little guns that can be easily carried. The 7.62 eats cheap ammo all day long. Mine is one of my favorite rifles. And having iron sites just make it more fun and versatile. They will last forever.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I am interested in the CZ 527 as well. There is also Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30. I have the Mini-30 and find it very reliable with brass cased 7.62x39. It won't cycle the steel cased ammo consistently and Ruger recommends using brass only. I think the Mini-30 and the CZ 527 would make a nice set.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I have a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 ruger. The action is super smooth and the single set trigger is awesome.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My spouse and I owned, prior to divorce, a CZ-527 in .223 and it was a sweet shooting rifle. Unfortunately, she "kept it" and I didn't get to take it with me, but I have considered buying another because it was such a sweet shooting rifle!

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have a 527 carbine in 7.62 x 39, got it last winter and it is becoming my favorite rifle. It shoots the metal case ammo great and is even better with brass cases. I have a couple boxes of Fusion hunting rounds. I put a 1-3.5x power Weaver using CZ rings and it is very accurate. I have shot it out to 200 yds. The set trigger is unusual, but very practical. Just push the trigger forward to use the set trigger. It really improves accuracy when shooting offhand. It would be a great deer rifle, because it is short and light, easy to carry into the mountains. The 7.62 x 39 is a great round because it is cheap, accurate, and packs a good punch for deer. I have to start reloading because it has great potential with brass cartridges, especially when hunting. I have a SKS, which is a lot of fun. I have thought about a Mini-30, but it seems like the Ruger is pretty expensive and not as accurate as the CZ. And how many more guns do I need? Another SKS is cheaper and practical.

It is a great gun!

Pigeon11

Dec 19, 2015
    Annapolis
    I have a 527 carbine in 7.62 x 39, got it last winter and it is becoming my favorite rifle. It shoots the metal case ammo great and is even better with brass cases. I have a couple boxes of Fusion hunting rounds. I put a 1-3.5x power Weaver using CZ rings and it is very accurate. I have shot it out to 200 yds. The set trigger is unusual, but very practical. Just push the trigger forward to use the set trigger. It really improves accuracy when shooting offhand. It would be a great deer rifle, because it is short and light, easy to carry into the mountains. The 7.62 x 39 is a great round because it is cheap, accurate, and packs a good punch for deer. I have to start reloading because it has great potential with brass cartridges, especially when hunting. I have a SKS, which is a lot of fun. I have thought about a Mini-30, but it seems like the Ruger is pretty expensive and not as accurate as the CZ. And how many more guns do I need? Another SKS is cheaper and practical.

It is a great gun!

It sounds awesome. Now I'm just more excited to get it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom