• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    The VZ2008 is nicely built and many would swear their life to the VZ58. The price difference is twice as much for the 58.

Look into the CMMG Mutant or the Rock River Arms that takes AK mags. Duffys Gunroom (IP here) carries all of them. They're just north of Baltimore and are very helpful and good to deal with.

There are also a few Sig options also.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    You're over 2 years late to the party... Hope you brought some beers...

Feb 28, 2013
    For the OP...

This is both a VZ-58 AND a AK variant. The VZ's are legal in MD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 1,107

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks for your response.
    It is not a short barrel.
    He purchased cash and carry from WV.
    Did paperwork there and brought it home.
    Ill have to get the exact model but it looks like an ak but maybe an sks...
    but when i look those up they look a lot different.

So you can purchase short barrel ak pistols? I did not know this.
    Thanks!

If it was an AK, I hope your friend likes Federal prisons. If it was an SKS, it would have been legal.

AKs have been regulated firearms in MD for MANY years. Remember the ban list is the old regulated long gun list.

As such, the above mentioned transaction is in violation of Federal law, as all firearms purchases have to be legal in the state of the sale and the state of residence of the buyer.

So unless he was a WV resident when he bought it, it was an illegal transaction.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks. The SKS is very different looking.
    He was getting buddy buddy with the guy so its possible it was
    under the table deal.
    Oh well. If im out of luck it is what it is. I will go ahead and purchase something else.

What is this thing about SBR's as of Oct 1? I will look that up.
    I just read it and it makes no sense to me. It contradicts itself by saying...
    a SBR is under 16", so if you need a 29" total long rifle, SBR's are say 26" so that would be strike one. Then most of the rifles I see have flash supressors on them. That would be strike 2. So that tells me unless you find a SBR at 29" (is that common?) you cant purchase one.

All in all theres no need to turn in paperwork because you still cant get one anyway. lol

1) Nothing like Federal firearms felonies to keep one up at night. Under the table, as in not through an FFL is also a Federal felony, as face to face transfers can only occur between residents of the same state.

2) An SBR has a BARREL length of less than 16" and a SHOULDER STOCK. In MD, at this time, the OVERALL length must be at least 29". There is a law suit against MSP to get th 29" length requirement rescinded.

Flash suppressor and folding stock combined are no good. So non-folding stock or a muzzle device that does not reduce the flash (or no muzzle device at all).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup, Md law , especially on SBRs is illogical.

Yes it can be done to create an AK based SBR with > 29in OAL . One viewpoint is that an SBR that long kinda defeats the logical purpose of seeking a SHORT rifle. OTOH it CAN be done in Md post 10/01/13, whereas "normal" AK's are verbotten.

The Vz58 & Vz2008 really are different rifles , and not AK's . Back in the day the Chechs both were very independent minded about being told what to do by the Russians, and had a vibrent Arms Industry dating back centuries, so they made a statement by designing , building, and issueing a totally different rifle that matched the size and shooting criteria of the AK.

Feb 28, 2013
    Yup, Md law , especially on SBRs is illogical.

Yes it can be done to create an AK based SBR with > 29in OAL . One viewpoint is that an SBR that long kinda defeats the logical purpose of seeking a SHORT rifle. OTOH it CAN be done in Md post 10/01/13, whereas "normal" AK's are verbotten.

The Vz58 & Vz2008 really are different rifles , and not AK's . Back in the day the Chechs both were very independent minded about being told what to do by the Russians, and had a vibrent Arms Industry dating back centuries, so they made a statement by designing , building, and issueing a totally different rifle that matched the size and shooting criteria of the AK.

IIRC they even wanted to chamber theirs in 7.62x45, but Kruschev vetoed that.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The VZ58/2008 is a fantastic rifle. Love mine so much I bought a boatload of parts while I can.

As far as AK variants, it really depends on your FFL, and their interpretation of the law regarding sporters. You may still be able to buy M77s, and certain select Veprs.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    OP: If you want an AK, consider either an SBR'd AK pistol or VZ58/2008. The AK option's considerably more expensive (cost of pistol, stock and NFA tax stamp), but, unless your prime use is for torture-testing (little beats an AK for reliability in bad environments), I think the VZ's a better rifle (~one pound lighter, last round bolt hold open, possibly more accurate) even though it looks like an AK and it's cash 'n' carry in Maryland.

p.s. Just fyi: 12 ga AK's ARE legal in Maryland (e.g., Vepr12, etc.).

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I was at two different FFLs today where I heard an employee taking a phone call about what was obviously an AK questions. And neither of the people on the other end seemed to believe what the employee was correctly telling them...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    OP: If you want an AK, consider either an SBR'd AK pistol or VZ58/2008. The AK option's considerably more expensive (cost of pistol, stock and NFA tax stamp), but, unless your prime use is for torture-testing (little beats an AK for reliability in bad environments), I think the VZ's a better rifle (~one pound lighter, last round bolt hold open, possibly more accurate) even though it looks like an AK and it's cash 'n' carry in Maryland.

p.s. Just fyi: 12 ga AK's ARE legal in Maryland (e.g., Vepr12, etc.).

The VZ58/2008 is a fantastic rifle. Love mine so much I bought a boatload of parts while I can.

As far as AK variants, it really depends on your FFL, and their interpretation of the law regarding sporters. You may still be able to buy M77s, and certain select Veprs.

FWIW, the Vz.58 is awesome, and in some ways better than an AK (heresy, I know). I have several and was fortunate enough to buy an armorer's kit a few years back for $300. My Vz.58's will run for generations... LOL. I have plenty of fixed and folding stocks. I even have 75 round drum mags for it.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Try an LAR-47. Rock river arms. Its still a direct impingement though. Maybe you can get a piston system for it, and edge closer to the AK. I like the idea of getting a rifle that's not on the regulated firearms list or a copycat. Get the longer mags outside(like if you don't have any yet). Ak mags are supposed to work in it.

Funny though I can't get in the RRA website for some reason.

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013
    Hey everyone,
    I would like to add an AK to my collection but I know they are illegal in Maryland. Is there a way to purchase one whether it be out of state or a variant of the AK platform that can be legally purchased? A friend of mine bought one when in West Virginia and was able to bring it back legally.
    If not, its not a big deal. I will stick with getting an HBar AR. Or maybe there is an Hbar AR chambered in 7.62 x 39 ?
    Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bump

Just wanted to let everyone know that this is what my friend said...

"I got 3 ak's russian romanian and yugo. Ak 47 is best but banned. Vz58 takes different mags and hard to find.
    I got a guy in WV that does long rifles cash and carry. Obama banned ak last year. Hard to find new and expensive. I paid $1300 for russian"

I know he got one right around the time of the oct 14 ban. So he had to have gotten them after so it must be, hate to say it but an illegal transition. Its all about the money i guess.

Well with the way things are going i guess i wont be getting one.
    Any suggestions on legal rifles? Sbr?
    Thanks guys!

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013
    I was at two different FFLs today where I heard an employee taking a phone call about what was obviously an AK questions. And neither of the people on the other end seemed to believe what the employee was correctly telling them...

So what was the ffl saying?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So what was the ffl saying?

He was basically explaining fsa2013 and implying that the caller had been living under a rock :lol2:
    Eveything he said was correct. Judging by the frankness of the employee I can only guess that the caller was flabbergasted that he couldn't buy an AK and needed an HQL for an AK pistol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Bump

Just wanted to let everyone know that this is what my friend said...

"I got 3 ak's russian romanian and yugo. Ak 47 is best but banned. Vz58 takes different mags and hard to find.
    I got a guy in WV that does long rifles cash and carry. Obama banned ak last year. Hard to find new and expensive. I paid $1300 for russian"

I know he got one right around the time of the oct 14 ban. So he had to have gotten them after so it must be, hate to say it but an illegal transition. Its all about the money i guess.

Well with the way things are going i guess i wont be getting one.
    Any suggestions on legal rifles? Sbr?
    Thanks guys!

And AK has been a regulated rifle in MD for MANY years. Meaning that the FFL and your friend have committed a Federal crime, as the transaction was not legal in both the state of the transaction and the state of residence of the buyer, as per Federal law.

If the guy he bought from is not an FFL, then they still committed a Federal crime, as it is illegal (and has been since 1968), for a resident of one state to sell face to face to the resident of a different state.

BTW, the MD ban went into affect on Oct 1, 2013, not 14. Not that buying after the ban makes the transaction any more illegal.

m0bas

Feb 26, 2012
    If you were to build a pistol or sbr is there anyway to get a receiver anymore legally or would it have to be on a pre oct13 receiver?

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    If you were to build a pistol or sbr is there anyway to get a receiver anymore legally or would it have to be on a pre oct13 receiver?
    Yes, you can build a pistol or SBR on post Oct 13 receiver. Freestate had one but it was sold. Not sure why most dealers will not carry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom