• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Frederick City trying to shut down Cresap shooting range.

From NRA-ILA

Maryland: Frederick City Attempting to Shut Down Cresap Shooting Range

Frederick City recently made renovations to a side-berm bordering one of its police shooting ranges. On the other side of the berm, is Cresap Rifle Club’s outdoor shooting range. Frederick City is now seeking to close Cresap Rifle Club for good because of a false claim of a hazardous environment. The City is now attempting to place full blame on Cresap and force it to shut down so they can expand their own police range and lock out the public from expressing their 2nd Amendment Rights at one of the few public, non-profit ranges in the region. Frederick City has refused to provide any specific information as to how Cresap should fix anything, yet Frederick City is now using taxpayer money to fight a lawsuit where Cresap is attempting to fight for a fair and reasonable agreement in the matter.

Take action folks!!!

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1789

Last edited:

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Your title is a bit misleading. Fredrick City is attempting to close the range, not MD.

But yes, its time to fight this ridiculousness.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Frederick is becoming Howard County West. This doesn't surprise me at all.

The days of the Good Old Frederick Boys is going away fast. The town is turning into Metrosexual Central.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Good....

Thanks again for the Lifetime Ban CRESAP... (I might add, banned for life with no legitimate reason that would warrant such drastic action other than having a difference of opinion)

Now it's payback time. Not going to lift a finger to help you bastards. As a matter of fact, I think that I am going to write a nice letter supporting the closure.

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Karma, it's what's for dinner.

Enjoy

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    From what I know its not a false claim and I belong to MPC next door to CRESAP. However not much has come out on this from the CRESAP side even though a few people belong to both clubs.

SWI

May 4, 2017
    Pleae follow this link to the Cresap website
    for some further information. Some of the more recent responses are one of the reasons why we at Cresap have not posted much information. The other reason is that we were hoping the city would respond and meet with us to work this out, however after exhausting those channels we needed to go public. I welcome photoracer to contact me via PM and offer the information he says is correct. To date we have not been supplied with any specific information on the alleged incident(s) by the city or anyone else. If he has specific non hearsay information we would love to hear from him. For that matter if there is anyone who can shed some light on this we would love to hear from you.
    httpwww.cresaprifleclub.com/Tri-Fold%20Brochure_v2.pdf

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    trying to get link attachment on here, not sure if it will work.

Attachments

• Tri-Fold Brochure_v2.pdf
      223.7 KB · Views: 207

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm kind of torn on Cresap. While it has its perks, it also has its cons. I'm not concerned about the age of the facility or the condition of the benches, due to the age. The age kind of defines the overall condition of the facility. What concerns me the most is that some of the RSO's are idiots. They seems to have chips on their shoulders as big as the Empire State Building and dare you to try to knock that chip off. When they make up issues, when there aren't any going on, that is a problem. Furthermore, when a bad RSO jumps on you, they won't even listen to you explain how they saw something that didn't happen, because they weren't paying attention.

Getting reamed out for rapid firing a bolt action, that is being loaded one round at a time, seems a bit off, considering it is a bolt action. I was pulling the spent piece of brass out, putting it in my plastic reloading box, then manually feeding the next round into the empty chamber. Minimum amount of time between shots was 30 seconds to a minute. How is that rapid firing?

Getting reamed about rapid firing, just after setting up your rifle and beginning to load mags, without even firing a single shot, seems to be a RSO looking for a fight. Yet the guy 2 lanes down is doing the mad minute, but nothing was said to him.

A RSO laying a hand on me in a hostile manner is highly unprofessional and uncalled for, since he didn't know what was going on. Yet the RSO that was behind me knew what was going on, because I asked for permission to do something so I could case my rifles and was given the go ahead by him, after he stopped foot traffic. How did I break the rules when I asked for permission and received it and the RSO ensured that I was being safe with everything, but the other RSO took matters into his own hands to go crazy?

Since when do I have to pull the bolt from a bolt action, before I close the case the rifle is already laying in? Since when do I have to leave the bolt open in the case as I am closing the case? That was another incident with one of your RSO's.

Am I really supposed to put my rifle on safe after every shot I take with a semi auto? That was another made up rule by an RSO that was looking for a fight.

There are a lot of good RSO's at Cresap, but it is the bad ones that you need to weed out of your membership roll sooner, rather than later. Those bad RSO's are the real reason why people are going to TMGN and HTC, not the fact that those ranges are indoor and are open to the public more often than Cresap. Those same horrible RSO's are the reason why it is rare if you ever see me at your facility.

I hope that Cresap comes out victorious against the city, but I don't see a plan for dealing with the aftermath of your public image being tarnished the way it has been by the city and some of the RSO's at the facility.

Issue a lifetime ban on me if you must, but my gripe is with the RSO's that create problems, instead of leaving things alone, when no violations are occurring. Until you eliminate the bad apples, your public attendance will continue to dwindle.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I went there... once.

That was enough. Range Officer was a complete douchebag. Won't miss this place a bit.

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I actually had good expierences there when I was a beginner shooter. I appreciated the fact that they were on top of safety considering they were dealing with the general public and had a lot of people come through their range. I was open minded, treated the volunteers with respect and always was treated the same in turn. I think it's worth remembering those folks are volunteers and everyone has a bad day on occasion. I can only imagine some of the craziness they had to deal with being an inexpensive place to shoot open to the public, and for a long time they were the only real option nearby. I would have joined the club but having a family with young kids I didn't have enough free time to meet their volunteer requirements. They ask a lot of their members and try to do a lot of good for the community. Hunter safety classes, youth shooting etc.

Wether or not you enjoyed that range losing it would be a blow to the shooting community in our area. If they shut down Cresap who's next?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm kind of torn on Cresap. While it has its perks, it also has its cons. I'm not concerned about the age of the facility or the condition of the benches, due to the age. The age kind of defines the overall condition of the facility. What concerns me the most is that some of the RSO's are idiots. They seems to have chips on their shoulders as big as the Empire State Building and dare you to try to knock that chip off. When they make up issues, when there aren't any going on, that is a problem. Furthermore, when a bad RSO jumps on you, they won't even listen to you explain how they saw something that didn't happen, because they weren't paying attention.

Getting reamed out for rapid firing a bolt action, that is being loaded one round at a time, seems a bit off, considering it is a bolt action. I was pulling the spent piece of brass out, putting it in my plastic reloading box, then manually feeding the next round into the empty chamber. Minimum amount of time between shots was 30 seconds to a minute. How is that rapid firing?

Getting reamed about rapid firing, just after setting up your rifle and beginning to load mags, without even firing a single shot, seems to be a RSO looking for a fight. Yet the guy 2 lanes down is doing the mad minute, but nothing was said to him.

A RSO laying a hand on me in a hostile manner is highly unprofessional and uncalled for, since he didn't know what was going on. Yet the RSO that was behind me knew what was going on, because I asked for permission to do something so I could case my rifles and was given the go ahead by him, after he stopped foot traffic. How did I break the rules when I asked for permission and received it and the RSO ensured that I was being safe with everything, but the other RSO took matters into his own hands to go crazy?

Since when do I have to pull the bolt from a bolt action, before I close the case the rifle is already laying in? Since when do I have to leave the bolt open in the case as I am closing the case? That was another incident with one of your RSO's.

Am I really supposed to put my rifle on safe after every shot I take with a semi auto? That was another made up rule by an RSO that was looking for a fight.

There are a lot of good RSO's at Cresap, but it is the bad ones that you need to weed out of your membership roll sooner, rather than later. Those bad RSO's are the real reason why people are going to TMGN and HTC, not the fact that those ranges are indoor and are open to the public more often than Cresap. Those same horrible RSO's are the reason why it is rare if you ever see me at your facility.

I hope that Cresap comes out victorious against the city, but I don't see a plan for dealing with the aftermath of your public image being tarnished the way it has been by the city and some of the RSO's at the facility.

Issue a lifetime ban on me if you must, but my gripe is with the RSO's that create problems, instead of leaving things alone, when no violations are occurring. Until you eliminate the bad apples, your public attendance will continue to dwindle.

As a range, Cresap left a lot to be desired. It was a good place to go on a boring Sunday afternoon and cheaply sling a couple of boxes of ammo downrange. That's about it. $8 for all day was a bargain compared to the $20 that TMGN and the $25 that HTC charges by the hour. I would hate to see it permanently be closed just for that reason. It was a great place to socialize. I met some very cool pro-2A folks there, including DA, P5 and few other MDS'ers before joining.

Undoubtedly, some RSO's were more squirrelly than others. Some were OK but some were genuine ball-breakers every chance they got. Seemed worse on the rifle range than on the pistol range. I mean, I kind of understand the reasons since it's a public range and any yahoo with $8 in his pocket can come up and shoot all day but, at the same time, that doesn't mean consenting to range ninja behavior and being manhandled by an RSO. I don't care if I'm acting like Tackleberry from Police Academy. That's BS.

I'm with you. I have mixed-feelings about Cresap. I'm more concerned about the impact on MPC next door since that's a club I aspire to join when my work schedule permits more active participation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom