• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BirdDog

Aug 11, 2019
    New and just learning. Never even posted anything before ( please be gentle with me guys ! LOL)Just bought a Aero Precision 12.5" 308 barrel upper with a 12" ATLAS R Handguard. Was going to run a suppressor on this but now realize the threads are inside the handguard and the hangguard is 1.5" diameter, most suppressors are 1.5" so it looks like I can't even get a direct thread to run on this. If I understand correctly you don't want the suppressor to ever touch the handguard or even to close due to barrel harmonics and accuracy issues. Not sure cutting the handguard off is an option, as it looks like I would have to cut it back about 3-4" due to the design of handguard. As I said I'm new to all this and just learning so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's true you never want your suppressor to hit the handguard, and sometimes barrel whip and handguard flex can allow a "close fit" to make contact. Much comes down to your supressor and it's mount. I have an 18" barreled Aero M5 with the 15" Atlas R handguard, it's right at 1.5" ID, and 2" of clearance from the guard to the mount/rear edge of the can with my Griffin taper mounted Optimus. Most of their guards are a little longer than the length given, (12" guard is actually 12.56"), threads are about .6" long, so you will end up with a muzzle just about even with the end of the handguard, and some of the mount/can may be inside. If it's a full 1.5" diameter can for the entire length, and uses a direct thread or similar mount, then probably won't work., if it's got a thinner mount area then the tube out front is wider, like the Nomad, then it might be OK. If it uses a narrower QD adapter like the Resonator with a phantom mount, and the muzzle device spaces the can out around an inch or so, then it should also work. Otherwise you need a shorter handguard or one with a larger ID. Even so you might get some blast if your hand is near the front of the guard, and you use a brake that directs the blast rearward without the can mounted.

BirdDog

Aug 11, 2019
    Aero precision m5 308 12.5" ATLAS R Handguard

Alucard0822, Thank you for your help and advice, gives me some options to think about. Yes I was thinking about changing the handguard but Areo does not offer a shorter handguard for the m5 308. And because I am so new to all this I am weary about putting on a different handguard, If I understand correctly there can be fit issues when you mix and match with AR308 parts. So far I have stuck with all Aero parts to be on the safe side. Would you by chance have any recommendations on a hand guard that would match up with my Aero receiver ? I apologize if I sound like an idiot, so much to learn about all this, but really starting to enjoy this new hobby and wish I had started getting into this many years ago. I just need a lot more money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom