• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Sounds awesome! Starting from scratch is $$$$$$. I told my wife our first flush will be a 35k flush! 20 for a septic system, 15 for a well. I'll sooner dig an outhouse. Nicest one you ever seen!

Which log cabin kits you looking at?

What general area is that pricing for?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Those numbers will work just about anywhere in the “country” unless you’re really inaccessible.

You may get septic for $15K and a well for $10K but you’d have to have Lady Luck riding along

Read “country” as Appalachia for these purposes

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    We bought 75 acres in PA this past summer. Cost us roughly $45-50k to clear and build a 40x60 gravel pad for RV, install septic (sand mound), drill well (including buried pressure system), and to run buried electric (including wiring the shed).

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    That's our intermediate plan if we need to wait on a new build. Demolish the house, put in an RV pad to use for a while. Then building the cabin in 5-10 years.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    We bought 75 acres in PA this past summer. Cost us roughly $45-50k to clear and build a 40x60 gravel pad for RV, install septic (sand mound), drill well (including buried pressure system), and to run buried electric (including wiring the shed).

Sounds dreamy!

I have seen some really nice chunks of land in PA. Some hundreds, some thousands of acres, even.

Tricky thing is with all the fracking.. concerns for deeded rights? Any oil or gas on those acres?

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    Sounds dreamy!

I have seen some really nice chunks of land in PA. Some hundreds, some thousands of acres, even.

Tricky thing is with all the fracking.. concerns for deeded rights? Any oil or gas on those acres?

The only rights that didn’t convey were coal. Those rights were bought by coal companies decades and decades ago. In fact, my understanding is that most if not all of the coal rights for that region were bought up. Where we’re at it seems really unlikely it would make economical sense for anyone to try to mine...if there’s even any coal nearby.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The only rights that didn’t convey were coal. Those rights were bought by coal companies decades and decades ago. In fact, my understanding is that most if not all of the coal rights for that region were bought up. Where we’re at it seems really unlikely it would make economical sense for anyone to try to mine...if there’s even any coal nearby.

Saying "coal" I assume you mean Mineral Rights as it's usually one solid package. If that's the case and you don't have the ability to track them down and buy them back, you're subject to them being sold or licensed to a fracking company which is far more realistic an issue for you than deep mining at this time, especially if you're located over the Marcellus Shale.

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    Saying "coal" I assume you mean Mineral Rights as it's usually one solid package. If that's the case and you don't have the ability to track them down and buy them back, you're subject to them being sold or licensed to a fracking company which is far more realistic an issue for you than deep mining at this time, especially if you're located over the Marcellus Shale.

That’s a good point. I just double checked the deed, and it’s specific to “coal”. There’s no mention of any other mineral rights not conveying. Wonder how that would be interpreted. And looking at most maps of the Marcellus Shale, we’re just outside the zone. It looks like most of the activity is further west in the state. Fingers crossed that it stays there!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That’s a good point. I just double checked the deed, and it’s specific to “coal”. There’s no mention of any other mineral rights not conveying. Wonder how that would be interpreted. And looking at most maps of the Marcellus Shale, we’re just outside the zone. It looks like most of the activity is further west in the state. Fingers crossed that it stays there!

If it specifically and only states coal, then you're likely good. Probably a modified version of a standard mineral rights that was less expensive for the speculators that bought the rights.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    If it specifically and only states coal, then you're likely good. Probably a modified version of a standard mineral rights that was less expensive for the speculators that bought the rights.

When we purchased our acreage up near MPC, we got timber and mineral rights thanks to the work of the previous owners who were going to build the ski resort. Not that there would be any gas drilling up on a mountainside.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    When we purchased our acreage up near MPC, we got timber and mineral rights thanks to the work of the previous owners who were going to build the ski resort. Not that there would be any gas drilling up on a mountainside.

My property has a gas well. You would probably be surprised where they might drill. Luckily, I have free gas once I build a home.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The property I'm looking at ran into some squatters issues. That'll slow things down a bit.

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    The property I'm looking at ran into some squatters issues. That'll slow things down a bit.

Can you explain a bit? I’ve heard stories about people using vacant land for years with out the owners permission/knowledge, and then having some sort of legal claim when owners attempt to sale. But I’ve never been sure if those are true or just rumors.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Can you explain a bit? I’ve heard stories about people using vacant land for years with out the owners permission/knowledge, and then having some sort of legal claim when owners attempt to sale. But I’ve never been sure if those are true or just rumors.

Look up "Adverse possession".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom