• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Deal fell through, they sold the canner out from under me instead of waiting for me to show up with cash tomorrow.

I'll still post the recipes when I get them out.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Deal fell through, they sold the canner out from under me instead of waiting for me to show up with cash tomorrow.

I'll still post the recipes when I get them out.

Just wait and watch. I'm sure there will be a canner glut now that people have actually received them and tried it once. ...And realized that it actually takes effort.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today’s efforts produced 8 pint jars of hot and spicy chips based on Ball Blue Book’s Cucumber Sandwich Pickles recipe (roughly doubled) with 2 jalapeño and 2 habanero peppers (with seeds) added; and

16 jars (14-1/2 pints and 2 pints) of jalapeño & habanero jelly. Also based on the Jalapeño Jelly recipe in the Ball Blue Book (almost tripled) using mostly jalapeños and about 8 habaneros. Early returns inform us that this jelly is freaking delicious.

09ae8a1af3e5bd512d8fa4d7096e7f6e.jpg

ea6266cc0c743abba974765aae394459.jpg

15dce7a5abaf8434fd7dc0e7564bb712.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just wait and watch. I'm sure there will be a canner glut now that people have actually received them and tried it once. ...And realized that it actually takes effort.

Oh, I'm still looking, if I don't want to wait for an All American, Walmart in Laurel has Ball pressure canners, but not sure of the price.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today's canning efforts ended with 6 jars of Apricot - Habanero Jelly, and four pints of the S.U.'s beef stock. We had both canners going at once. There are two more batches of beef stock coming up this weekend, but they will get frozen in ice cube trays.

Attachments

• IMG_8237.jpg
      IMG_8237.jpg
      79.3 KB · Views: 228
    • IMG_8243.jpg
      IMG_8243.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 213

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Today's canning efforts ended with 6 jars of Apricot - Habanero Jelly, and four pints of the S.U.'s beef stock. We had both canners going at once. There are two more batches of beef stock coming up this weekend, but they will get frozen in ice cube trays.

The apricot jam sounds good

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    We knocked out another 5 pints of beef broth this morning, and simultaneously vacuum sealed and froze 6 more months' worth of German deli meats and sausages from Rieker's Fine Meats in Philly. Sunday morning multitasking.

I grew up on Rieker's stuff, their sausages are all house-made. But since the folks are gone we don't get up there too often any more. My sibs and I (and spousal units) celebrated what would have been our dad's 95th birthday this coming week, with lunch at his favorite restaurant and toasted his life with his favorite cocktail, a gin martini with a twist.

Attachments

• IMG_8267.jpg
      IMG_8267.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 172
    • IMG_8263.jpg
      IMG_8263.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 168

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    Canning question

Those look spectacular!

In the pics I'm seeing all have rings attached.

I started canning in 2018 so no expert and I only can meat, Beef/pork/chicken and meals like beef stew so 90min@15psi. My initial research was that two things to do are remove rings so bad seals can be detected or won't be caused, also don't stack as pressure on the lid can break the seal. I've had maybe 4 jars out of 100 that didn't seal and just put in fridge to eat later.

Is leaving the rings on a nonissue?

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    In the pics I'm seeing all have rings attached.

I started canning in 2018 so no expert and I only can meat, Beef/pork/chicken and meals like beef stew so 90min@15psi. My initial research was that two things to do are remove rings so bad seals can be detected or won't be caused, also don't stack as pressure on the lid can break the seal. I've had maybe 4 jars out of 100 that didn't seal and just put in fridge to eat later.

Is leaving the rings on a nonissue?

I do check the seals by taking the rings
    off before putting them up, but i loosely put the rings back on so that I have them handy when a jar is opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    When I was a kid in the 60s my grandmother had a 1 acre garden in the middle of town, along with raising rabbits and chickens for meat. I grew up learning to can every vegetable you can think of. Her income was about 80 dollars a month, back then electric was 10 bucks a month. I remember her basement was 40' x 40' and had dozens of shelves just stacked with food. She must have been the original prepper. She had canned goods form the 40s they were wire bail jars with rubber seals. I remember opening one of her dill pickle jars and just as crispy as when they were canned. They really puckered you up but so good. One of the best canned meats I loved was pickled beef/deer heart, so good. My wife and I just canned some fiddle heads, they taste like a green bean but really loaded with antioxidants. We canned them like you would any vegetable except we added garlic cloves to them. I was able to tap some sycamore trees this spring and made about 1/2 gallon of syrup and I like it better than maple syrup. We do not grow a garden but we buy local and can from there.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You don't have that pickled heart recipe, do you? I got two to do and was going to try Bread and butter pickle brine on them if I can't find better. I was not terribly thrilled with the one I did before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom