• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Riddle me this:

How do you/could you lubricate a dirty bolt/BCG? You're adding lubrication on to powder fouled/carbon fouled metals; destroying the very essence and reasoning for lubricating those components.

If you're cleaning a bore from the breach end and know what you're doing, you're not going to damage the rifle's crown or bore.

For god's sake man, at least swab the bore a couple of times and scrub/wipe down the bolt/bolt face/BCG. It's so quick to do and gives you a chance to eyeball everything before you put it away. :)

Lol

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Depending on the gun, I usually don't mind cleaning my guns. Kinda my zen time afterwards. If I can get some peace and privacy, which is rare these days with my new shdow pup.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Riddle me this:

How do you/could you lubricate a dirty bolt/BCG? You're adding lubrication on to powder fouled/carbon fouled metals; destroying the very essence and reasoning for lubricating those components.

If you're cleaning a bore from the breach end and know what you're doing, you're not going to damage the rifle's crown or bore.

For god's sake man, at least swab the bore a couple of times and scrub/wipe down the bolt/bolt face/BCG. It's so quick to do and gives you a chance to eyeball everything before you put it away. :)

Ummmm, what? That makes no sense. (The first part)
    I dip my dirty BCG in Mobil 1, take it out and shake off the excess and put it back in the gun.
    Haven’t cleaned my 3 gun AR in over a year and a half (probably over 1K rounds through it) and never an issue. As a matter of fact it runs better than most of the AR’s in competition. Never a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It makes sense from the standpoint that lubrication prevents rust and corrosion.

I would wager (in the grandiose sense) that the chances of a failure to feed or failure to fire happen more often with a dirty gun; compared to a clean gun.

I'll opt for a clean gun at the start of any range event... or event.

Now excuse me as I go back to JB Welding my sight rail on to my "CLEANED" TriStar ATAC.

IMG-0597.jpg

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It makes sense from the standpoint that lubrication prevents rust and corrosion.

I would wager (in the grandiose sense) that the chances of a failure to feed or failure to fire happen more often with a dirty gun; compared to a clean gun.

Now excuse me as I go back to JB Welding my sight rail on to my "CLEANED" TriStar ATAC.

IMG-0597.jpg

Read post 5 again.

You can't even acknowledge that different circumstances call for different maintenance routines. That's not knowledge...that's just being stubborn.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Read post 5 again.

You can't even acknowledge that different circumstances call for different maintenance routines. That's not knowledge...that's just being stubborn.

Keeping a gun dirty and carbon fouled is not a maintenance routine. It’s actually a lack of maintenance and discipline.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

IMG-0597.jpg

Maybe to a dirty gun that isn’t properly lubricated, but that’s not what I’m talking about.
    My guns are all well lubricated.
    Do you strip the heads on a motor and clean the carbon deposits every oil change? Of course you don’t. I understand stripping a firearm is much easier and far less time but the reality is that people over clean firearms when they wouldn’t do it with anything else, it’s kind of ridiculous really.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Keeping a gun dirty and carbon fouled is not a maintenance routine. It’s actually a lack of maintenance and discipline.

Uh no. Just because a gun is dirty doesn’t mean it’s not maintained. I’m not saying don’t wipe it down after a range trip, but detailed cleaning and stripping a firearm every time is just plain dump.
    So if my gun is dirty and I detail strip and clean it (let’s say every 2,000 rounds/or once a year) then that’s lack of maintenance and discipline in your mind?

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I religiously clean the guns that spend most of their lives in the safe after their infrequent range trips. The ones I shoot regularly rarely get cleaned, especially my AR's. I hate cleaning AR's. I don't mind cleaning my Beretta 92's because I can do it on the couch, as long as my wife doesn't catch me.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Aaargh. She'd be recovering now. Hurt me heart to grind down the topside of 'er receiver, but the lass has nigh thick'ness throughout topside for a another larger screw, so she be settling fer balling instead.

IMG-0598.jpg

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Some things never change. I still don't like cleaning my guns. As much as I hate to do it I still do because I know they need it. Good news is they are all done and ready for my next range day.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The only firearms I clean after every use are ones I run blackpowder cartridges through. Hot water through the bores and cylinders, soft toothbrush scrubbing receivers, pulling grips off of revolvers and dunking in moose milk, then air drying. Applying grease to appropriate parts, like where BP fouling is likely to accuulate helps out.

Smokeless firearms require less maintenance, I will run 500 rounds through them before cleaning.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I guess cleaning means different things to different people. I don’t mind but I try not to stress over it.

For any modern semi auto pistol or rifle, for me it’s a wipe down and lube. Basically a shotgun sized patch with a little CLP to wipe the rails and other surfaces on a handgun for example. Maybe a nylon toothbrush at times around the extractor. Then lube. I have used a patchworm for years and pull a patch with CLP through the barrel and then a dry one. No rod or brush for the barrel.

For a revolver, I use a brass chamber brush chucked in a drill at low speed if after shooting say .38 special out of a .357. Maybe a little more nylon brushing around various parts. I’ll pull a Lewis lead remover through the barrel every now and then when I think it’s needed.

The only guns I’m a little more meticulous about are the blued steel and walnut ones. And that just means making sure to lube/protect the finish.

I highly recommend people at least try Wipe-Out on their bore if you really think it needs cleaning. Between a patch pulled through with CLP for regular maintenance and Wipe-Out on a crusty or copper fowled bore, I can’t even remember the last time I used a rod and brush in a bore. A leaded revolver barrel aside. Oh and also on shotgun barrels.

Last edited:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I guess cleaning means different things to different people. I don’t mind but I try not to stress over it.

For any modern semi auto pistol or rifle, for me it’s a wipe down and lube. Basically a shotgun sized patch with a little CLP to wipe the rails and other surfaces on a handgun for example. Maybe a nylon toothbrush at times around the extractor. Then lube. I have used a patchworm for years and pull a patch with CLP through the barrel and then a dry one. No rod or brush for the barrel.

For a revolver, I use a brass chamber brush chucked in a drill at low speed if after shooting say .38 special out of a .357. Maybe a little more nylon brushing around various parts. I’ll pull a Lewis lead remover through the barrel every now and then when I think it’s needed.

The only guns I’m a little more meticulous about are the blued steel and walnut ones. And that just means making sure to lube/protect the finish.

I highly recommend people at least try Wipe-Out on their bore if you really think it needs cleaning. Between a patch pulled through with CLP for regular maintenance and Wipe-Out on a crusty bore, I can’t even remember the last time I used a rod and brush in a bore. A leaded revolver barrel aside. Oh and also on shotgun barrels.
    Wipe-Out is good stuff. It'll take bluing off though so you have to be careful with it. I use the accelerator with it, speeds things up.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Wipe-Out is good stuff. It'll take bluing off though so you have to be careful with it. I use the accelerator with it, speeds things up.

Honest question, not being sarcastic. Have you had Wipe-Out remove bluing? I ask be cause I was always worried about that but the last two blued guns I used it on seemed to be fine. I only let it sit for maybe 30min and did three rounds of that with the accelerator. I didn’t want to leave it on overnight.

I did also wipe down the outside of the guns with CLP before coating the bore.

This was on a Winchester 94 and a post Hillary hole S&W revolver.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The only firearms I clean after every use are ones I run blackpowder cartridges through. Hot water through the bores and cylinders, soft toothbrush scrubbing receivers, pulling grips off of revolvers and dunking in moose milk, then air drying. Applying grease to appropriate parts, like where BP fouling is likely to accuulate helps out.

Smokeless firearms require less maintenance, I will run 500 rounds through them before cleaning.
    BP and its substitutes and corrosive primers get cleaned every time. Other than that, I am about where you are. I clean them about every 500 rounds or so, or once a year whether they need it or not. I don’t usually scrub bores. Just a pull through patch with some oil on it for the bore. I’ll run a nylon or bronze brush down the bore a couple of times with hoppes #9 on it if it gets shot a lot. The rarely shot ones just get the oil patch. Partial to full disassembly and oil all the metal trying to keep it off any wood. Put them all back in the safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom