• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    I was thinking about the 2022 National Match today and started looking thru gear. For fun I pulled my Cabela's Covanant5 5-25x56mm scope off my 243 and plopped it on the Beeman 100 because I noticed it had a 15yd side focus range. It has found a new home; makes shooting at match heads exceptionally easy. Too windy for my 70yd bier can test, but boy the can appears huge at 25x.
    I watch too much AirGunnerTV and like to try some of their trick shots, this should make shooting aspirin a little easier because I can see them now.

This is not a paid endorsement; just my opinion. Before Cabela's was bought out I bought a lot of their gear and found it to be a very reasonable quality for the price. I bought the scope last year on sale and put it on a 243 and at 100yd it made shooting tiny targets easy. At 25x it dims a little, but in full sunlight, like a range day, it is negligible. Certainly not a dusk or dawn hunting scope. At high magnification, like all scopes you have keep your eye lined up right, but a good cheek weld reduces that frustration. it has a crazy reticle with hashes and dots. On the 243 it was a distraction but on the Beeman when I looked at the 70yd targets suddenly I liked all those marks so I could measure when I hit the backer and not the can. It should be a help.

At $199 on sale, it seems a good bargain for a PCP scope. I would not put it on a springer or nitropiston gun though. Hopefully someone will find the information useful.

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    You are correct. It seems when the good stuff catches on the manufacturing moves to China to increase volume but quality drops as does guarantee. I've seen this happen a couple of times when I bought a product, liked it, then went back to get another and find is mfg changed. Happened with Hawke scopes. I own several of them and think they made different places.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I've got a Covenant 4 4-16 a d it's a fantastic scope. I believe that my scope (which is a couple years old) was made by Vortex. Depending on the bidding Cabela's changes manufacturers.
    I bought a Covenant 5 just for that reason. Around that same time frame you reference, I remember reading in a Cabelas catalog that at that time the Covenant series was manufactured by Vortex. I believe it was in a specialty catalog of “Optics”. That may have been a faux pas, because it’s never been referenced again. I agree, I love my Covenant, it is truly a ton of scope for the money. It has really clear glass and nearly all of the features that I now spend $2,000-$3,000 for on my long range shooters, and I think I only spent around $400. The one and only thing I dislike is I got the first focal plane version, which for the purpose I bought it for, hunting with a Savage MSR .308, is probably not the best choice. At lower magnifications the reticle is practically unusable, it only opens enough to see properly at mid-magnification. I can’t recommend the Cabelas Covenant series scopes enough to anyone looking for a feature rich optic for a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom