Period Correct Scopes (1800s/Early 1900s)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    Looking for a period correct scope that's still functional for whitetail hunting on a Henry Big Boy. I know Hi-lux makes some and was looking at their 3X, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other modern repro's of the old scopes. I haven't been able to find any on google searches, and Hi-lux's seem to have QC issues from the reviews I've read.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    A buddy of mine picked up a vintage repro of sorts from possibleshop.com for an older blackpowder rifle. (Forget year and manufacture). So far, he’s super happy with it and praises them.

I believe they have long tube kinds and ones for lever actions as well that might fit what you are looking for

Last edited:

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    I have a Hi-Lux scope for my Sharps, picked it up used for half the price of new and have never had an issue. Most problems occur with the mounts they supply.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    What would be a period correct scope for a Henry Big boy, a Vortex?
    (Just kidding, I'm no better)
    I just fashioned a CHicom clunker wanna be 1941 clone with a High- Lux.
    Haven't had any major problems with it and twist on it pretty dag gone good every time I take it out.
    Biggest thing was front block needed soldered for barrel jump and I used Steve Earle blocks but that's to be somewhat expected if you ever mounted them.
    Probably really only a fitting problem on my behalf but who knows it's perfectly repeatable when left alone and real close even once removed.
    I don't know about their other products but wouldn't overlook them for a Big Boy unless I was going to Saskatchewan.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Looking for a period correct scope that's still functional for whitetail hunting on a Henry Big Boy. I know Hi-lux makes some and was looking at their 3X, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other modern repro's of the old scopes. I haven't been able to find any on google searches, and Hi-lux's seem to have QC issues from the reviews I've read.

*****The Hi-Lux will be your least expensive new repro option I would think. The Vintage Scope Shop in Montana does really good work and sells old scopes, but they are usually $400 and WAY up depending upon what you want. One of the RSO's that teaches classes with me has used their services and they cleaned up, refinished, and nitrogen purged and sealed his grandfathers old scope from the 1930's that had fogged up glass, and had pretty significant wear marks, pitting, etc..

It was NOT cheap but the scope was on an old "Elephant Gun" that his dad had taken on Safari in Africa, and used it to kill some big game, and he had some pretty awesome black and white pics of his granddad posing with his gun and trophy kills of Kulu, Elam, and Wildebeest. Worth it just for the memories and to hand down the gun to the kids, etc.. Turn around time was not even remotely fast so probably just easier to buy something already done and ready to mount.

I've gotten to look through some really old glass before on restored rifles from the late 19th century and early 20th and was amazed at how good some of those scopes worked given they were over 100 years old. They were definitely better than iron sights, but the adjustments for windage and drift were really really primitive, and they were SUPER long scopes, like over 2 feet long...

Good luck whatever you decide. Below is a pic of a Model 52b Winchester with an old timer scope. It was good glass for its day, but uhhh... don't expect Schmidt & Bender PMII MSR FFP MRAD CCW type optics or view... :lol:

Attachments

• Model 52b.jpg
      Model 52b.jpg
      20.1 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads