• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Not gun related. This is a great deal. I have one and use it quite often. It is great if you do your own maintenance on a truck or full size suv.

I may have to get one of those!

Darnold86

Sep 13, 2020
    my olight Badr mini's have been running fine, holding a charge for over a year, and holding zero. Charge up in less than an hour. What's not to like?

If you compare say the valk mini 2 and the baldr minis to a streamlight tlr7 sub or tlr7a, the olights will only run at 600 lumens for 1 minute then drop to an abysmal 60lumen. Not sure about you, but if I'm clearing my home I don't want to lose that much light only after a minute. I bought the valk 2 and it sits in a box for that reason.

From Olight site itself

Cool White Light 600~60 lumens
    Run time Cool White Light 1 minutes + 60 minutes

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    If you compare say the valk mini 2 and the baldr minis to a streamlight tlr7 sub or tlr7a, the olights will only run at 600 lumens for 1 minute then drop to an abysmal 60lumen. Not sure about you, but if I'm clearing my home I don't want to lose that much light only after a minute. I bought the valk 2 and it sits in a box for that reason.

From Olight site itself

Runtimes certainly a consideration, thanks for the heads-up.
    I mainly use it for the laser, as my GF has problems with iron sights.
    A minute of bright light does sound lacking for clearing a house. For my townhouse, unless the powers out, I think it will suffice even at 60 lumins

Darnold86

Sep 13, 2020
    Runtimes certainly a consideration, thanks for the heads-up.
    I mainly use it for the laser, as my GF has problems with iron sights.
    A minute of bright light does sound lacking for clearing a house. For my townhouse, unless the powers out, I think it will suffice even at 60 lumins

Hey man, I'm not here to make anyone feel guilty on their purchase. If it's works for you than that's all that should matter. I was thrilled with the size of it which is why I got it in the first place. Just sharing a little on what I found out after my purchase.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

From Olight site itself

Mine doesn't do that. I tried it just now. I've been timing it and there is no change in output after one minute.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Is there a specific model of Olight flashlights that the members in this forum recommend for mounting on a handgun? Or are they just to be used as an EDC flashlight?

Amazon is also having a sale on Olight today: https://www.amazon.com/deal/236cb40...f=dlx_cyber_gd_dcl_tlt_13_236cb408_dt_sl7_d0#

Cal68

Olight used to be pretty solid, but they've since jumped the shark and are full-tilt focused on planned obsolescence to fleece customers out of cash. Anymore, I'd much rather stick to streamlight or surefire for a light you need to depend on. Olight pushes lumens with little regard for cooling. As a result, they either melt plastic lenses or have huge step-downs programmed that make those impressive lumen numbers less impressive in practice.

For something small and cheap as edc, I picked up this aurora a23 and it's been pretty friggin awesome. The usbc charging instead of proprietary olight cables is another big bonus. It beats the shit out of a bedazzled olight that will be obsolete in 6 months that costs twice as much.

RovyVon Aurora A23 LED Keychain Flashlight, 1000 Lumens XP-L Super Bright with EDC Pocket-sized,6 Modes,Micro USB Rechargeable,Water Resisant,Best Choice for Camping,Emergency,Outdoor https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHDW76C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_PAAE0GW1FF1H9C1VXWGZ

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    80% lower stuff thunder tactical 30% off

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211128-134516_DuckDuckGo.jpg
      Screenshot_20211128-134516_DuckDuckGo.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 295

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Olight used to be pretty solid
    Olight is fine for handhelds. As others have noted, their WMLs have sustained output issues that make them less than appealing for some use cases. I run a Streamlight Wedge handheld, and will probably grab a Stiletto Pro once Surefire gets a clue and goes to USB-C. Pretty much a TLR-1/2 guy for lights, I use those ARC extended switches to make them a bit more user friendly.

Darnold86

Sep 13, 2020
    Mine doesn't do that. I tried it just now. I've been timing it and there is no change in output after one minute.

Bet you didn't do it long enough. I thought mine didn't either but when I stood there waiting I could see it change. Definitely drops output.

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    Detroit ammo co has free shipping for 15 months for $99. If you subscribe for one of the monthly ammo packages it’s a pretty decent deal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bet you didn't do it long enough. I thought mine didn't either but when I stood there waiting I could see it change. Definitely drops output.

Mine aren’t that noticeable actively dimming. It certainly does dim, but it does it over a long period of time. From a few test reviews, it looks like it runs at full output for about a minute and then slowly down over about 10 minutes and then stays at ~60lm for around 50 minutes or so before dead.

Generally defensive encounters where you need a light don’t last more than a few minutes tops. If this was a light on a handgun being used for law enforcement purposes I don’t think it would be a good idea. A minute of extremely bright followed by a few minutes of pretty bright followed by a little under an hour of enough light for across the room or the bushes next to the house to me is just fine.

If I need to be actively searching around I usually don’t want to be pointing my gun at things unless I am pretty darned sure I have to shoot them. Which is probably only likely bad things in my house.

Weapon light on a rifle though, IMHO needs to last longer as those kinds of outputs (as, if you are going to need a weapon light there, it’s possibly for shooting something at more than across the room distances)

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

From Olight site itself

Thanks for the info... its good to know, but the good news is it isn't quite as bad as you thought.

It doesn't drop from 600 to 60 after 1 minute.

Per the manual for the Valkyrie Mini, "The LED light will work for one minute at the top output mode and gradually step down to 60 lm within 10 minutes."

I decided to try mine out to see how reliable it would be.

Fully charged, it was extremely bright with no significant drop for ~4 minutes. It did begin to get a but dimmer after that, but not enough to limit effectiveness. It was still blinding if it were pointed at a person for about 10 minutes. At 12-13 minutes it was no longer blinding, but still lit up a room at the far end of the hallway (~40 feet). At ~15.5 minutes, it was enough to keep from tripping on something... it was like holding a candle. It did not dim noticably after that... so I'm guessing that was the minimim 60 lumens or close to it.

So my verdict... not usable as a duty light, but still very good for home use. Fully charged you can trust it for 12-13 minutes, much more if you use it intermittently. Not useful after 14 minutes, except to keep from walking into walls. I have very bright flashlights all around my house and in all my cars, so this is not an issue for me. Comparing to other lights I'm pretty sure mine was at least 200 lumen or more after 10 minutes, not 60, but its new and fully charged. 60 after 10 might be an average.

I plan to check out the Baldr mini tomorrow and see how it behaves.

Darnold86

Sep 13, 2020
    Thanks for the info... its good to know, but the good news is it isn't quite as bad as you thought.

It doesn't drop from 600 to 60 after 1 minute.

Per the manual for the Valkyrie Mini, "The LED light will work for one minute at the top output mode and gradually step down to 60 lm within 10 minutes."

I decided to try mine out to see how reliable it would be.

Fully charged, it was extremely bright with no significant drop for ~4 minutes. It did begin to get a but dimmer after that, but not enough to limit effectiveness. It was still blinding if it were pointed at a person for about 10 minutes. At 12-13 minutes it was no longer blinding, but still lit up a room at the far end of the hallway (~40 feet). At ~15.5 minutes, it was enough to keep from tripping on something... it was like holding a candle. It did not dim noticably after that... so I'm guessing that was the minimim 60 lumens or close to it.

So my verdict... not usable as a duty light, but still very good for home use. Fully charged you can trust it for 12-13 minutes, much more if you use it intermittently. Not useful after 14 minutes, except to keep from walking into walls. I have very bright flashlights all around my house and in all my cars, so this is not an issue for me. Comparing to other lights I'm pretty sure mine was at least 200 lumen or more after 10 minutes, not 60, but its new and fully charged. 60 after 10 might be an average.

I plan to check out the Baldr mini tomorrow and see how it behaves.

Cool, thank you for the thorough testing and information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom