• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    She didn’t go far after leaving half her heart on the ground.

Attachments

• 4DC11134-77A4-4A42-84AA-2F26B59288B0.jpg
      4DC11134-77A4-4A42-84AA-2F26B59288B0.jpg
      157.5 KB · Views: 162
    • 1E48496A-960E-42E4-9921-9B346716656B.jpg
      1E48496A-960E-42E4-9921-9B346716656B.jpg
      215.2 KB · Views: 166

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Pictures not loading...

I'm terrible at remembering to take pictures. I guess if it was a large bragging rights buck I would hopefully remember to take out the phone. I think, at least in the last 5 seasons, I've only remembered to take a picture once and that was after it was already hanging in the garage. :banghead:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Dear diary,

This morning I sat and watched those two button bucks forage around my feeder for 40 minutes. I guess it’s working. Now where is that damn huge buck?

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Dear diary,

This morning I sat and watched those two button bucks forage around my feeder for 40 minutes. I guess it’s working. Now where is that damn huge buck?

PS, I should have shot one of those button bucks since they count as anterless to fill my freezer. Lol

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    PS, I should have shot one of those button bucks since they count as anterless to fill my freezer. Lol

Those are the best eating. I'd like to get 3-4 yearlings this year, but the gods aren't smiling on me so far.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

Those are the best eating. I'd like to get 3-4 yearlings this year, but the gods aren't smiling on me so far.
    A buddy of mine got a young buck a week or so ago - referred to it as a spike - when they were loading it into his truck, the longer of the two antlers got knocked off, and apparently the shorter antler wasn't long enough to be counted as a buck.

He seemed pretty pleased overall - he actually commented that it would, "taste just as good, if not better."

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    come the new year if those guys are still coming around I’ll probably shoot the smaller of the two buttons and then butcher it myself (easy job).

But my freezer is reasonably full. I am pretty sure I’ve got around 80#s of venison in the freezer. I can sure fit more, but I am trying to get the big buck I was seeing a bunch of last month. He’s probably over 160lbs live weight, maybe over 180. So if there is a chance I’ve got 50-70lbs or venison…

I really don’t want to add 20-30#s from a button if I then end up with a ton more from some big buck. Also the bigger button is a BIG guy. Biggest button buck I’ve seen. He’s got maybe 1.5” tall antlers, still in velvet. I figure let him walk as he might be a decent yearling next year. Maybe a 5 or 6pt. Still tasty eating and a lot more meat.

Plus I would be beside myself if I shot a button and then turns out the bug buck was hanging back and ran off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    come the new year if those guys are still coming around I’ll probably shoot the smaller of the two buttons and then butcher it myself (easy job).

But my freezer is reasonably full. I am pretty sure I’ve got around 80#s of venison in the freezer. I can sure fit more, but I am trying to get the big buck I was seeing a bunch of last month. He’s probably over 160lbs live weight, maybe over 180. So if there is a chance I’ve got 50-70lbs or venison…

I really don’t want to add 20-30#s from a button if I then end up with a ton more from some big buck. Also the bigger button is a BIG guy. Biggest button buck I’ve seen. He’s got maybe 1.5” tall antlers, still in velvet. I figure let him walk as he might be a decent yearling next year. Maybe a 5 or 6pt. Still tasty eating and a lot more meat.

But I’d guess the little guy is maybe 70# on the hoof. The bigger guy is probably 90, 95#s.

Plus I would be beside myself if I shot a button and then turns out the bug buck was hanging back and ran off.

But once the new year hits, I might head to the eastern shore to hunt late gun. But I might also just call it a year. Not likely to hunt January otherwise unless it is one last time to shoot whatever first deer comes by my stand and call it a year.

My plans are to get out there around 2:30 or 3 till last light today. Can’t hunt tomorrow as I am out of town for the day. Camping at Greenridge and hunting Thursday till Saturday next week for end of early gun. Probably try to get in to my stand at least one morning and one afternoon the following week. I’ve got a week off around Christmas and I might hunt one full day from my stand then. Or at least a few hours on a few days. That basically finishes out my season. Like I said, I might just drop whatever New Year’s Day.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You should hunt with me. All I keep seeing is the same little button buck...:rolleyes:

Wax that bama and call me I’ll come get it lol. Been a rough season for me (archery included). I got the most beautiful 150 acre farm in Damascus and i can’t seem to see anything except 300 yard shots in the field as i walk out.

I’ve had two shots this year. One was a 30 yard crossbow shot but my crossbow was uncocked cuz i was walking up a super steep hill after just getting out of the stand. The other was a doe running 50mph between another hunter and I on opening day, shot didn’t feel safe so i didn’t fling lead.

Heading out in an hour so hopefully i get one. I’ll hunt tomorrow night too but then it’s gonna start getting rough with schedules.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Wax that bama and call me I’ll come get it lol. Been a rough season for me (archery included). I got the most beautiful 150 acre farm in Damascus and i can’t seem to see anything except 300 yard shots in the field as i walk out.

I’ve had two shots this year. One was a 30 yard crossbow shot but my crossbow was uncocked cuz i was walking up a super steep hill after just getting out of the stand. The other was a doe running 50mph between another hunter and I on opening day, shot didn’t feel safe so i didn’t fling lead.

Heading out in an hour so hopefully i get one. I’ll hunt tomorrow night too but then it’s gonna start getting rough with schedules.

Good luck!

Not my finest season ever, but I'm giving it another try. Sat at the farm in WVa this morning and didn't see a single thing. No deer, no squirrels, no turkey. Weird. Even the birds were barely awake.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You should go out with this guy ...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/illinois-public-land-trophy-buck/

Too bad it's a bit of a drive
    Damn you V! :lol2:

I think I'm suffering from first cast skunk. I've both seen this and experienced it myself. You know, when you catch a fish on the first cast, then the rest of the day you're skunked? I shot one deer on my first hunt of the season and now I go bupkis. I'm too stupid to quit though...:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom