• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    i have cut much smaller pieces of metal than 1" tubes with my miter saw (1/4" metal ballisters for steps*). The issue is the same issue you have with any miter saw, holding the part down and making sure the cut is square or the correct angle. No big deal. Get the correct blade.

Watch the sparks, lol. Dont do the cutting near anything flammable.

*edit: also door hardware or barn-type sliding doors

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    i have cut much smaller pieces of metal than 1" tubes with my miter saw (1/4" metal ballisters for steps*). The issue is the same issue you have with any miter saw, holding the part down and making sure the cut is square or the correct angle. No big deal. Get the correct blade.

Watch the sparks, lol. Dont do the cutting near anything flammable.

*edit: also door hardware or barn-type sliding doors

I'll be doing this in the driveway, What kind of blade/wheel is needed?
    I could stand to buy one for work anyway. We don't cut much at work but once and a while need to (1-3 times a year)

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    My first choice would be to part it on a lathe. You can get pretty exacting tolerances there. Second would be the chop saw linked above and third would be a metal cutting band saw but leave enough to dress down for your best fit.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve only played with the kits a little. I also made some from billet. To me the spacer on the kits has to be perfect so I would cut them down in the lathe and creep up on the perfect fit. The same thing should be done with any other method. Start close but a little long and fine tune with a file or belt sander.
    As for welding the first one I bought many years ago was a Lincoln Tig. Such a versatile unit. Highly recommend Tig first then a mig if your running many inches an hour.

Short version
    Yeah what FHJ69 said

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    My first choice would be to part it on a lathe. You can get pretty exacting tolerances there. Second would be the chop saw linked above and third would be a metal cutting band saw but leave enough to dress down for your best fit.

I'll be doing this in the driveway, What kind of blade/wheel is needed?
    I could stand to buy one for work anyway. We don't cut much at work but once and a while need to (1-3 times a year)

HD carries a bunch of carbide metal or diamond tipped cutting blades for metal or concrete, find one that matches either your miter or your circular saw.

If you are going to do this for work though I agree just invest in a bandsaw or proper chop saw. chop saw will have more power, better rpms and is better designed for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom