• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Just this morning I got an email saying: “ Your HGP application has been reviewed and the status changed to "Application Accepted." Your application is now awaiting assignment to a background investigator based on the order in which it was received.”.

I could search through every thread on this forum or just ask…

Is the worst behind me? Are they saying that my documentation proves I qualify and now they simply need to make sure I don’t have a criminal history?

Or do they now set about determining, from my documentation, why I DON’T qualify?

Will someone be calling my references? Employer?

How extensive is this background investigation?

And how long does it take?

Thanks in advance…

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    In my experience "Application Accepted" only means that someone has run through an initial checklist and verified that all the required information and documents appear to be present.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Just this morning I got an email saying: “ Your HGP application has been reviewed and the status changed to "Application Accepted." Your application is now awaiting assignment to a background investigator based on the order in which it was received.”.

Is the worst behind me? Are they saying that my documentation proves I qualify and now they simply need to make sure I don’t have a criminal history?

Or do they now set about determining, from my documentation, why I DON’T qualify?

Thanks in advance…

As far as I know, in 2015 no one called my
    Employer or references. It’ll take about 30 days to review standard background data. It should list everything on the HGP portal. Sit tight and start window shopping your new pistol.

EDIT: I was under the impression OP was asking about the HQL vs wear and carrry. If not HQL please ignore my post. Pre-coffee so I take 0 responsibility in my lack of reading comprehension

Last edited:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is the worst behind me?

That depends on whether or not you've put together a well documented Good & Sufficient Reason for them to issue the permit by their current standards, and didn't leave out anything they're going to have to nag you about.

Are they saying that my documentation proves I qualify and now they simply need to make sure I don’t have a criminal history?

No, they're saying they've got your application into their pipeline so it can be tracked and worked on by the several people at MSP who will touch it along the way. This doesn't mean they've given it any subjective evaluation yet.

Without knowing how you addressed the G&S issue, how well you documented it and provided supporting paperwork, it's impossible to speculate on whether or not you're a shoe-in or will have to do the dance.

Usually - especially on your initial application (vs renewal) - they'll call at least a couple of your references, and likewise want to talk to a spouse if there is one. Your employer, if not listed as a reference, wouldn't usually get a call unless your employment is part of your G&S.

It depends on what you've told them to investigate. If you're using your ownership of a business as your G&S, they'll look at your business records and standing, and try to deduce from bank or tax information if you are indeed actively running a going concern. The more info you provided them, the less work they have to do. If you used some other justification for your G&S, then you may have tasked them with doing a lot more homework. Since you haven't mentioned the basics of your situation, your question is impossible to answer.

Inside 90 days. Usually, your interview with a Trooper (and their contact with references) comes towards the back end of the process. There's no point them scheduling that and making calls if they've already decided at first glance that you didn't establish G&S. If you pass that initial G&S smell test, and they've conducted the interviews, that part of the process then gets bundled up and passed along to a different investigator who makes sure everything looks on the up and up (closer scrutiny of business records, etc), and then they issue the permit, which you'll receive in the mail a few days after the status on your application is updated to show approved.

The particulars depend on too many variables to be more specific. Every application is different, and the process at MSP involves multiple players who pass it around in a generally predictable, but it-just-depends kinda way.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Thanks in advance…

Did you apply as a legit business owner and submit receipts, bank deposits, etc? Assuming you're over 21 and NOT a felon then you're golden, look for a phone call to schedule an interview.

Did you apply because someone tried to kill you? Can you provide documentation? Is this person not dead or incarcerated? You're probably GTG as well.

Are you a politician?

Someone really needs to put together one of those flow chart thingies.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    In any case… when you get denied… appeal on the last day, in hopes that everything will be delayed and the NYSPRA v Bruen decesion gets handed down before your appeal process is exhausted.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll give the OP presumptive credit that he has been around here long enough and seen enough discussions , that he has reasonably plausible G&S ( not yet mentioned in this thread ) , so that would be IF disapproved .

If OP is instead playing the odds for the timing of SCOTUS releasing the decision in the NYSRPA case , disregard .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom