• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Recently purchased a blued Marlin 336 that had scope bases mounted to the top receiver flat surface. I removed the 4 screws holding the bases on by applying heat before backing the Loctited screws out. The previous Owner was overzealous in applying the Loctite and the area under the bases was pretty well coated with Loctite. (Maybe this was on purpose in an attempt to bed the bases). Anyway I want the rifle with iron sights. Is there anyway to remove the Loctite from the bead blasted blued surface of the top of the receiver without marring it. I've removed Loctite from polished blued surfaces with lacquer thinner and a fingernail; the Loctite does not seem to bond very well to a polished surface. The bead blasted surface is a different story.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    did you try a heat gun ? warming up the surface should help .

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried heat gun, brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, Kroil, nylon bristle brush, scotch brite, brass bristle brush and maybe some other things I can't think of now. The Loctite was red in color which is stronger than blue Loctite. It is some tough sh*t. The problem I think was that it was pressed in to the rough bead blasted surface which gave it more of a surface to tooth in to. To make a long story short -- with a combination of the previous mentioned methods I did remove the Loctite but at the expense of marring (smoothing) some of the texture of the bead blasting. So I used the Scotch Brite to uniform the texture of the balance of the top of the receiver. I applied so Brownell's Oxpho cold blue and restored the color to the top of the receiver.
    The moral of this story is if you are going to Locite scope base screws to your receiver (like the previous Owner did) you only need a tiny bit.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'd bet MEK or methlene chloride (paint stripper) will dissolve it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Red Loctite is nasty stuff it has to be exposed to high heat. Doubt a heatgun will get it hot enough

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I like how this info on the loctite products page doesn't seem to mention loctite at all or tell you which methods and products work best on the various types of loctite.

Red and blue locative are Dimethylacrylate ester based. Super glues are cyanoacrylate based. They tell you how to get rid of acrylate based adhesives. All the same. Same chemistry to dissolve them. Same thermal breakdown to destroy them. All the same. :sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To remove the typical red Loctite, you need to get the part up to 450 degrees or slightly higher.

At that point, it should wipe off.

Other mechanical means will work, but probably damage the finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom