requesting police records from baltimore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    We all know the usual suspects will be up in front of the judiciary committee going on and on about the number of "ghost guns" recovered from repeat violent offenders in Baltimore.

I would like to get from Baltimore City, a complete list of all crimes committed with un-serialized firearms in 2021

what is the best way to go about that in a timely manor ??

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    We all know the usual suspects will be up in front of the judiciary committee going on and on about the number of "ghost guns" recovered from repeat violent offenders in Baltimore.

I would like to get from Baltimore City, a complete list of all crimes committed with un-serialized firearms in 2021

Contact the City Police Department and send a request under the Maryland Public Information Act.

.Gov does not need to create a record, only share a kept record. I'm sure since it is such a hot button topic, somewhere and by someone, that information is being kept. Rather or not it is an "official statistic", or they share as required, is another conversation.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

Good luck w/ the expedience.... then again they may be really quick to respond "no".

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks,
    As far as it not being a tracked stat? The BPD "official" who testified last year sure had the numbers and was throwing them around.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Thanks,
    As far as it not being a tracked stat? The BPD "official" who testified last year sure had the numbers and was throwing them around.

You can review the Maryland Public Information Act...but my understanding is it has to be a record routinely kept. Rather someone pulled those numbers as a "snapshot" of the times, or rather that record is kept routinely in the course of work, is likely going to be the difference of getting those numbers or not.

They are also allowed to charge a fee, beyond 2 hours of free work, for any request.

Keep us updated...the MPIA has legal methods to force the .gov entity to respond and provide (if legally required) to the request.

Set aside some spare time, write it up, send it certified letter, and stay on them. They should respond in 10 days indicating of they will release the info and then they have 30 days to provide it, but can ask the courts for another 30 day delay.

Reading several appeal cases on the MPIA...it is seemingly hit or miss if .gov entities are following the intent of the law.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Maybe it would be best to ask the Baltimore City elected officials, who happen to sit on the judiciary committee.

Does anyone remember the name of the BPD official who testified last year, in favor of the ghost gun ban.

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Great idea, if the number of non-serialized guns used in crime is not tracked we can ask "Is that an official number of crimes committed with non-serialized firearms?" after the opposition pleads their case. If an official list is kept, I bet many of the guns used in crimes were made before the '68 GCA. This differentiation would not be in "the list".

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Go find that request for proposals from frosh for firearm data and see heat data sources they are pulling from

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Do they consider firearms with serial numbers removed as "non-serialized" It's all in how you spin it.
    Be careful what you ask for.
    I am friends with a PG officer who says "ghost" meaning non-serialized guns are a huge problem. After digging into it, it was like 4% or something like that they recovered. When I asked about the serials being removed, he gave me a blank stare.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

2AMD (John Josselyn) has already sent a FOIA to them...

"On November 8, 2021, 2A Maryland sent a Public Information Act (PIA) request for information to six law enforcement agencies listed below. As of this writing, Anne Arundel County Police, Howard County Police and Baltimore City Police have responded with information. Baltimore County Police acknowledged receipt of the PIA but nothing more. Prince George's County Police and Montgomery County Police have not responded or even acknowledged receipt of the PIA. Montgomery County Police ignored last year's PIA."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom