Is a 22LR or 25ACP Better for SELF-DEFENCE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A centerfire is more reliable than a rimfire as well. How many times have people reported here of so many misfires in a box of .22? Not to say centerfire ammunition doesn't have the occasional misfire but they're still more reliable than a rimfire.

Neither is optimal for self-defense but a face full of either will likely deter an attacker. It could also enrage the attacker if he's high and you can't short circuit his CNS. There's no magic bullet.

This X 100. ^^^^ Rimfire is never as reliable as center fire - period.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    The only pistols I've ever fired using the .25acp were junk. The cartridge may be reliable but the pistols that fire them aren't. Are there any quality .25acp pistols?

Add another one to the “good list”.
    I have a FIE titan. it’s cheaply made but it’s never jammed, and it’s accurate.
    Years ago I shot this pistol a lot! I mean a lot, a lot, with no issues ever.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My take on the stopping data out there is that there are two situations.

One is where the attacker is stopped by just about any round, not because it puts them down, but they react to the psychological, "I'VE BEEN SHOT," and stop attacking.

The other situation is where they do not stop from realizing they have been shot, or do not realize that they have been shot (rage, drugs, etc) and then you have to physically stop them. And the data shows that you need a 9mm of better to do this.

I am more in the Jeff Cooper camp on .25ACP and would have the same opinion about a .22LR.

If the choice is no gun or a .25, then I will take the .25. If the choice is between the .25 and my 9mm P365.......

Sirex