• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What are you guys using or virus software? I always used AVG free version and got off of windows in to Ubuntu for a while. After switching back to windows I installed AVG. Lately I have the program seemly hidden and updating virus definitions and the computer becomes unusable during this process. The hard drive is running at 100% and everything is slow to respond. It took almost two minutes to Ctrl Alt Del and open task manager to figure out what was hosing the computer down. I was looking to get rid of it and use something else and looking for options.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Windows defender is better than the vast majority of commercial antivirus software. Get rid of AVG and turn windows defender on.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have been using a multi license of malwarebytes. Don't recall when I got it but it was a few years ago so I standardized on it.
    Was using lifetime license at one point, then switched to the anual multi (10 I think) so I could put it on everything in the house.
    With 4 kids,myself and wife all having laptops plus 3 of the boys have desktops, it helps to have just one code to use on everything.

I started on malwarebytes I think almost 10 years ago when trying to clean off 2 kids computers that got ransomware viruses. Used it to make Bootable USB to clean the drive off. But that was windows XP or 7, don't recall, not windows 10 for sure

I had an issue that SOUNDS like yours several times. one time it was a virus, the other time it was my drive almost about to die and switched the laptop to an SSD and backed up the needed data.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Windows defender is better than the vast majority of commercial antivirus software. Get rid of AVG and turn windows defender on.

Thats what I tell people also.

Also an antivirus is less important than knowledge and awareness. No you didn't win a $500 Walmart gift card, and Microsoft is not calling you to help you fix your computer.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    If you download a program, pass it through virustotal.com before running it. That scans it through multiple virus engines so you're covered over several groups' work without needing the bloat of their engine.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I says Windows Defender Firewall, turn it on. That is it?

[EDIT] NM, deleted AVG and restarted and it turned itself on. Says it updated today just a couple minutes ago.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

[EDIT] NM, deleted AVG and restarted and it turned itself on. Says it updated today just a couple minutes ago.

Sounds like AVG is just like Norton; throws scads of hooks into the Kernel and Hive so the only way to get rid of it is to reformat. The old "Customer for Life" strategy... It's why I'm Linux at home.

Good to know Virustotal is still around. One of the actually useful AV sites out there. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

Widows defender firewall is only one part of it. AVG probably had a software firewall too and now that you uninstalled it, windows firewall wanted to turn back on (that's a good thing).

But you still need to confirm windows defender anti-virus is on. It's now called windows security.

In your search bar, search for windows security and run it.

First thing in it is virus and threat protection. Make sure it has a green check.
    View attachment 331245

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Widows defender firewall is only one part of it. AVG probably had a software firewall too and now that you uninstalled it, windows firewall wanted to turn back on (that's a good thing).

But you still need to confirm windows defender anti-virus is on. It's now called windows security.

In your search bar, search for windows security and run it.

First thing in it is virus and threat protection. Make sure it has a green check.
    View attachment 331245

It will turn itself on automatically after the next reboot (once the AVG is uninstalled).

It will also throw a Notification that no AV is enabled and to start Defender, before the reboot occurs.

noloader

Jeff Not G
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2022
    Pasadena, MD
    What are you guys using or virus software? I always used AVG free version and got off of windows in to Ubuntu for a while. After switching back to windows I installed AVG. Lately I have the program seemly hidden and updating virus definitions and the computer becomes unusable during this process. The hard drive is running at 100% and everything is slow to respond. It took almost two minutes to Ctrl Alt Del and open task manager to figure out what was hosing the computer down. I was looking to get rid of it and use something else and looking for options.
    An off-topic thought...

Get off Windows and use Linux. Your need for an anti-virus will decrease considerably. Windows is the most attacked operating system nowadays. If you get off Windows, then you will stop being a target.

I moved my parents to Linux about 5 years ago. I wrote some scripts to keep their machines patched. Unpatched machines are one of the biggest threats to end users. My parents have not had any problems with malware since then.

And avoid MacOS. Apple is known for low quality software. For a while they were known for being the most insecure in the userland.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Was using Bitdefender for years. Small memory footprint and worked very well. Just switched to AVAST because Bit. went subscription this year. Also run MaLwareByte too. Do not depend on just ONE antiviral program!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Microsoft has gotten much better with their security products. Windows Defender is real good now. I use the Flounder Man product at a couple smaller side jobs- It works really well and has a small footprint. PCMatic Pro. Home Edition is great, too. Plus it has a built-in remote access to remote nodes so I can take a peek to assist in any issues. The other free ones have become almost as bad has the main paid products with respect to bloat, etc.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Windows Defender and scan with Malwarebytes free every month or so.

And I don’t click on weird links or emails.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Just wanted to add that I uninstalled AVG yesterday & enabled all of the defender options. Today the computer is running faster then it's run in a long time. I had no idea AVG was such a slowdown. Was almost ready to replace the computer, now it's like new. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom