• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Just thought I’d inquire here if any members own one of these and what your impressions +/or recommends (or not) might be? … Before I “pull the trigger” on one of these (before going all in for a total of 4 if they turn out to fit our needs)

We will assuredly only ne interested in the keypad function (which depends upon batteries maintenance which is a rabbit hole all of its own spread across different hime levels, etc. Sigh)

https://www.hornady.com/security/rapid-safes/shotgun-wall-lock#!/

Hornady Security RAPiD Safe Shotgun Wall Lock for Homeowners:

Attachments

• FA1AABB1-7499-4BFC-834F-7403A70BD463.jpeg
      FA1AABB1-7499-4BFC-834F-7403A70BD463.jpeg
      18.9 KB · Views: 250

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Lol, my wife’s solution to everything inside the home is her Glock 26 ….

with a 33 round mag sticking out of it … on the end table, next to her and the dawg’s recliner!

Get her a KV extension for 40rds or a drum with 50. There’s actually good quality ones out there nowadays.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That looks like an interesting solution. I guess it's locking into the ejection port? I see pluses and minuses to that, but at least you know some jack-ass isn't going to pull the trigger and have an ND. I've been thinking about a shotgun solution for the bedroom, and maybe this is it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Even if someone rips the whole thing off the wall, they still can't operate it.
    I think it is way more likely that the safe itself will fail before the wall mount fails, provided you didn't do something stupid like use nails or mount it straight into drywall (no studs).

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Things like this are for your own personal peace of mind. They can be defeated. If you wife keeps her Glock 26 on the end table i'd spend $283 on ammo lol.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Things like this are for your own personal peace of mind. They can be defeated. If you wife keeps her Glock 26 on the end table i'd spend $283 on ammo lol.

Any safe or lock can be "defeated." That doesn't mean that we just leave all our $h!t lying around unlocked.

Government safes are rated in terms of covert entry, surreptitious entry and forced entry. That is, the time it takes to crack a lock surreptitiously, covertly or by brute force. Reference: AA-D-600D

I contend that this device would provide decent short term resistance against forced entry which is the most important. The device provides "adequate" security on a day-to-day basis when the home is most frequently occupied by the owners. In cases where I would be absent from home for several days, I would move the shotgun to the main gun vault in the home. It's not meant to take the place of a regular gun safe.

Proper tools for the intended task.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Angle grinder or a plasma cutter beats pretty much everything, especially given enough time.

One thing I don't love about all of these wall-mounted safes is that there's no way to mount a receiver-mounted side saddle. Yes, I could throw some tape on the wall next to the gun and put one there, but it's a big drawback.

Feb 17, 2009
    Angle grinder or a plasma cutter beats pretty much everything, especially given enough time.

One thing I don't love about all of these wall-mounted safes is that there's no way to mount a receiver-mounted side saddle. Yes, I could throw some tape on the wall next to the gun and put one there, but it's a big drawback.
    I use the Esstac shotgun card, have an extra velcro card on the outside of the lockbox, just grab and slap it on the receiver.
    https://esstac.com/6rnd-shotgun-card-12gauge/

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For long guns, just a regular keyed stack on gun locker that's
    bolted to the wall is more secure and just as quick. Hang key somewhere only you know about, but that is quickly accessible and wallah, long gun + ammo+ med gear + anything else you want in there with it. Bonus points if you install it recessed between studs to preserve closet space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom