• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    Does anyone have the Radical Firearms AR in 7.62? I've been seeing it online lately for a great price and it's tempting to pick it up for the range

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Does anyone have the Radical Firearms AR in 7.62? I've been seeing it online lately for a great price and it's tempting to pick it up for the range

Yes. It's ok. I got mine dirt cheap years ago. From what I read, Radical customer service kinda stinks. Mine had a difficult time with certain cheap Russian steel case ammo and light strikes. I can't remember, but Radical had a list of things that violate the lifetime warranty. Basically any modification if I recall. I just got a heavier hammer spring and enhanced firing pin and did it myself. I emailed Windham, when I got my Windham to clarify the warranty stuff, since I planned to hand the rifle down at some point. They were like, "Yeah, do whatever, we'll still fix it."

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Yes. It's ok. I got mine dirt cheap years ago. From what I read, Radical customer service kinda stinks. Mine had a difficult time with certain cheap Russian steel case ammo and light strikes. I can't remember, but Radical had a list of things that violate the lifetime warranty. Basically any modification if I recall. I just got a heavier hammer spring and enhanced firing pin and did it myself. I emailed Windham, when I got my Windham to clarify the warranty stuff, since I planned to hand the rifle down at some point. They were like, "Yeah, do whatever, we'll still fix it."

I’ve heard AR style only run well with brass cased 7.62 which was never cheap even in the best of times.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I have PSA 763x39 16" upper for about 3-4 years now. Mounted on either PSA or Anderson lowers, functioned fine. Now almost 1000 rds with steel case ammo (Russian) ammo through this same upper- no issue.

Last time I took it out was before New Year 2021 and put around 120 rds of Golden Tiger through. I lubed mine really well. Make sure it has new enchanced firing pin , most newer Upper should have one by now. Also I put H3 buffer on mine as well.

Actually, I have around 8 different complete uppers from PSA from: 10", 11.5", 12", 16" M4, 16" Mid, 16" Mid CHF, 20" Govt and 762x39 all fed mainly with Steel case ammo and rarely brass case.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I’ve heard AR style only run well with brass cased 7.62 which was never cheap even in the best of times.

Mine runs anything I feed it.

I sent my upper parts to Clandestine and had him assemble and gauge out the upper. It is the smoothest running AR I own. Well was before the boating accident.

I have one of their uppers in that caliber. It's reliable and gives decent results. I've never shot it past 50 yards though.. make sure you get decent quality magazines. I would recommend C-Products mags.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You will have better reliability with steel cased ammo and a chrome lined chamber in a gas gun. For an AR in 7.62x39 try to seek out a chrome lined barrel and stick with geissele or larue triggers if you want to have a better trigger pull. Avoid cassette triggers and/or trigger/hammer spring kits.

Enhanced firing pins are ok as long as you know the right protrusion range and the bolt face hole isn't oversized in relation to the firing pin tip.

Magazines are another problematic area for that caliber in the AR. Buy many and see what the weapon likes.

Lots of companies use the wrong specs for x39 which can lead to additional reliability issues and breakage of parts like the bolt or extractor.

Last edited:

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    You will have better reliability with steel cased ammo and a chrome lined chamber in a gas gun. For an AR in 7.62x39 try to seek out a chrome lined barrel and stick with geissele or large triggers if you want to have a better trigger pull. Avoid cassette triggers and trigger/hammer spring kits.

Enhanced firing pins care ok as long as you know the right protrusion range and the bolt face hole isn't oversized in relation to the firing pin tip.

Magazines are another problematic area for that caliber in the AR. Buy many and see what the weapon likes.

Lots of companies use the wrong specs for x39 which can lead to additional reliability issues and breakage of parts like the bolt or extractor.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Sirex