• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I put this in the smith forum because there is no cleaning forum...

I have a hodgepodge of cleaning equipment. Most of it I have had passed down to me from my father, grandfather and uncles. Most is fairly old but still does the job. I'm not planning on getting rid of it but it doesn't travel well. I all fits in 2 50 cal ammo cans (with the exception of the one piece rods). I got a nice new 5.11 range bag for Christmas. It's extremely well built and organized. It has more storage that I actually really need so...

I want to buy a GOOD cleaning kit OR 2 if one needs to be long gun and one needs to be pistol to keep in the bag. I don't want to spend thousands but I could go a few hundred for quality that I can pass down to the guys and girls who will be getting my "arsenal" when I go to the happy hunting ground in the sky..

Suggestions?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMO there are really no good kits.

Buy the pieces that you need.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Agreed with the above. Buy what works for you, and store it in a way that works for you.

All of my stuff, absent the one piece rods, is in a large plastic toolbox that has a couple of drawers to keep things organized. Liquids and a handful of tools up top.

I keep a much smaller version in the range bag that's basically useless, but makes me feel better for having it on hand.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Agreed with the above. Buy what works for you, and store it in a way that works for you.

All of my stuff, absent the one piece rods, is in a large plastic toolbox that has a couple of drawers to keep things organized. Liquids and a handful of tools up top.

I keep a much smaller version in the range bag that's basically useless, but makes me feel better for having it on hand.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Also a member of the "build your own" group. I like the relatively inexpensive plastic parts organizers that allow you to change compartment sizes. I shoot a pretty fair number of different calibers, and like to keep separate what becomes a surprisingly sizable assortment of different brushes, jags, patches and the like. Have a separate compartment for .20, .22, .24, 6.5, .30 etc. on the rifle side. Handgun the same idea. That way I have only one box, but don't have to dig through a pile of similar size jags or brushes or even bore guides, all of which when mixed become a PITA looking for the right size.

Below is but one example.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-13-...-Sided-Small-Parts-Organizer-320028/204645520

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    One old tooth brush, one rag, can of Break Free Powder Blast, bore snake, small bottle of REM Oil. That’s all you need.

“Deep Cleaning” is thoroughly overrated. Additionally, most people do more harm then good ramming metal rods down their barrel.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My "kit" is random kits I've had since a kid all thrown into a plastic box with other cans of cleaner, various bore snakes, old toothbrushes, cut up tee shirts, golf tees, Qtips, and a couple of tekmats.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I have the Otis Elite kit (Midway link below), after wearing out cheap blue light specials and buying things piecemeal for years. I've had it for over a year now and been VERY pleased with it. Everything works, good quality, and going strong. Bonus points: Made in These United States! It's not cheap, but I honestly don't see myself needing to buy another one... ever!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014805158?pid=666881

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Build as you go and evolve to what works and doesn’t. I keep an Otis kit in my range bag and an old tackle box full of cleaning supplies for my work bench. I only use the one piece Dewey cleaning rods for my precision rifles. The Otis pull through cables work surprisingly well for everything else.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Create your own kits based upon your needs. One for home and one for the range bag has worked well for me.

Buy good stuff Only! Cheap tools break and/or cause injury and damage!

Things that are must haves:
    nylon brush set, jag set, brass brush set, pistol rods, rifle rods, a selection of patches, cleaners and lubricants in a case that can be used/converted as a rifle rest. A gun vise is ideal. I prefer Tipton brushes and rods.

You would be wise to have shotgun brushes, a rod and mops, chamber brushes for each of your toys, a big 45 pad, and the list never, ever, ends....

A small Otis cable cleaning kit in the range bag. It can be used to clean just about anything quickly and the quality is first rate. Remember to grab brushes and patches for whatever you are shooting, too. I keep a couple of old aluminum sectional cleaning rods in the range bag in the event of any barrel obstructions. Very important if you use surplus, reloaded, or some bargain ammunition.

Keep things as organized as you can. Makes things much faster when you have a few toys that need to be done quickly.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I concur with what others have said with one caveat, I include a portable multipiece rigid rod to clear bore obstructions…like if the muzzle bumps the ground. Don’t need any preaching about that…stuff happens.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    My "kit" is random kits I've had since a kid all thrown into a plastic box with other cans of cleaner, various bore snakes, old toothbrushes, cut up tee shirts, golf tees, Qtips, and a couple of tekmats.

My “kit” is similar to yours. I combination of 70 years of kits. I’m only 51, but I have lots of stuff that was my dads, and granddads.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A second vote for the Otis. You can customize it if it isn't 100% of what you want; generally has everything others have commented on carrying.

Ernie20147

Dec 10, 2019
    Probably off topic...

The guy who said that more guns have been damaged by ramming rods down barrels was on to something... try to pass along some knowledge about how to use those kits... it you can get there noses out of their phones long enough. Write it down. Make a video they can watch after you have passed. Ask them how to make a video...

Ernie20147

Dec 10, 2019
    The guy who said that more guns have been damaged by ramming rods down barrels was on to something... try to pass along some knowledge about how to use those kits... it you can get there noses out of their phones long enough. Write it down. Make a video they can watch after you have passed. Ask them how to make a video...
    IF you can get their noses out of their phones long enough... dang spell checker thinks it's smarter than I am!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom